URI or something worse?

leftiesrock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adopted two kittens Saturday, 14 weeks old, a brother and a sister. The lady at the adoption agency said the boy had an URI, to give him antibiotic for a few days and it should clear up. It has not gotten better, and this morning he was not eating or drinking and was very lethargic. My vet was closed as were most others for the holiday so I took him to Petsmart Vet since they were open.  She gave him fluids, an antiimflamatory fever med (his temp was 103) and a prescription for a pill to increase his appetite. She did no bloodwork, no xrays and could not technically diagnose him, saying it could be a number of things. And she did not prescribe a different antibiotic, even though the one he is on clearly isn't working. I got home, tried to force feed him the pill, which to be honest, I'm not sure if he swallowed or not, but as I was doing that, I noticed he had a little blood on his upper lip area. I've got him confined to the spare bedroom right now, with tuna, water and some food PetSmart Vet said to buy, called Urgent Care. I don't want my girl kitty to get sick, she seems perfectly fine and frisky, but I don't want to leave him quaranteened, I just put him in there so maybe he would eventually eat, without her being there trying to eat it! I'm calling my regular vet tomorrow and see what they suggest, but I am worried sick. Since he received fluids today, even if he doesn't eat, is that ok? At least for today and part of tomorrow, until I can maybe get him to my vet, if they want me to bring him in. I am stressed to the max. Help! :/

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The fluids are most critical at this point, so you're in fairly good shape there.  HOWEVER, he does need to eat.  WalMart pharmacy or a local drug store should be able to give (or sell) you a small syringe without needle.  Mix the fook into a fairly thin paste, and gently squirt a small amount into the kitten's cheek.  Make sure you are in the actual cheek so that he doesn't get choked.  Let him swallow, and repeat,  That should get you through till you can get to your regular vet.

Good luck with your kitten.  I know you are worried half to death.  PLEASE keep us posted!

webmiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would just keep doing what your doing, try to get him to eat and drink. Keep him quarantined and wait it out until you can get into your regular vet tomorrow.

You can also try warming up any wet good you are feeding, he may not be able to smell it if he's congested. Warming it makes it smell more.

If it's typical uri symptoms there could be a number of viruses or bacteria causing it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

leftiesrock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to my regular vet in the AM. He didn't eat or drink all day, although I did put water in a syringe and tried getting him to take that, but he was quite fussy about it. I just saw the responses, so I didn't think to put food in there. His little nose is so stopped up, he's halfway breathing out of his mouth. And there is fluid or congestion in his chest, you can hear it when he breathes. Him and his sister do not want to be seperated. I tried doing that and she would cry if left alone and vice versa. She is healthy and thriving and I hope stays that way. But they are not seperated. They're both sleeping now, but you can hear his little wheezing as he tries to get some peaceful rest. Whatever he has, I want it gone! I hope it's nothing serious like FIP, I just want the vet to be competent enough to know what kind of antibiotic he needs to get this thing nipped in the bud! I don't want to lose him, I've only had him 3 days. He is the sweetest thing, both him and the sister are and I am already so attached. I'll update tomorrow. Thanks guys. <3

Oh, p.s. Has anyone heard of dipping their paw and putting a few drops of apple cider vinegar on the back of their neck for relief? A non vet person told me that,  I didn't have any acv, but if it'll help, I'll get some tomorrow!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
please don't put vinegar on your kitty - it could burn the skin. 

whatsonemore

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, p.s. Has anyone heard of dipping their paw and putting a few drops of apple cider vinegar on the back of their neck for relief? A non vet person told me that,  I didn't have any acv, but if it'll help, I'll get some tomorrow!
Yes, you can dip their feet in and also put ACV on their sides, so they lick it off.  It WILL help a URI.  If you can get your hands on some lysine, that is also good for respiratory issues in cats.  I crush a tablet and put it in their wet food and they eat it just fine.  If you need more than just some forum stranger giving you help, you can check out earthclinic.com or google it also.  I personally use earthclinic all the time to treat myself and my cats and dogs with really good results.  ACV (apple cider vinegar) is a miracle worker and they sell it at walmart.  Make sure you get the kind with "the mother" in it.  Bragg's is an excellent brand.  I got spring valley lysine from walmart as well in 500 mg. 

Not eating or drinking and lethargy is a bad sign, so it's important to not mess around with this.  If I were you, I'd make a late night trip to walmart and get some ACV and Lysine for your little guy.  Grab some cans of water packed tuna and water packed sardines (they are like $1) to put the powder in and entice him to eat.  This mix of the two things works within a few days, if used regularly.

Also, as a side note, I have 6 cats and one got a URI and I never quarantined him and my other cats didn't catch it.  You don't want to stress your already sick cat out, so if the brother and sister need to be together, so be it.  You can treat her too the same way, if she comes down with it also.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am going to my regular vet in the AM. He didn't eat or drink all day, although I did put water in a syringe and tried getting him to take that, but he was quite fussy about it. I just saw the responses, so I didn't think to put food in there. His little nose is so stopped up, he's halfway breathing out of his mouth. And there is fluid or congestion in his chest, you can hear it when he breathes. Him and his sister do not want to be seperated. I tried doing that and she would cry if left alone and vice versa. She is healthy and thriving and I hope stays that way. But they are not seperated. They're both sleeping now, but you can hear his little wheezing as he tries to get some peaceful rest. Whatever he has, I want it gone! I hope it's nothing serious like FIP, I just want the vet to be competent enough to know what kind of antibiotic he needs to get this thing nipped in the bud! I don't want to lose him, I've only had him 3 days. He is the sweetest thing, both him and the sister are and I am already so attached. I'll update tomorrow. Thanks guys. <3

I'm very glad you'll be seeing your vet in the morning.  I really don't think apple cider vinegar will do anything here, and I would avoid anything that would make him more distressed.  Ask your vet about it in the morning before you do anything.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep us updated.  And do try syringing the food,  The problem is that cats are scent feeders, and with his nose stopped up, he isn't smelling that good old cat food "stank."  I'm waiting with baited breath to hear back from you on how he's doing.  OH...what is the little fuzzmuffin's name?

BTW...if he has a hard time with pills and capsules, the pills and contents of capsules can be dissolved in water and given via syringe as well.  They generally taste dreadful, and your kitten will fight like a small tiger, but it does get meds into them, and is better (I think) than having them gagging.

Last edited:

leftiesrock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy kitty, that is sick, is named Newton. His sister is Maggie May. Took Newton to vet today. They kept him all day hooked up to IVs with antibiotic and fluids. They let him come home tonight and said if he still hadn't ate by morning to bring him back. He's still not eating. I tried giving him semi diluted canned food via syringe, but he hardly took any of it. He has what appears to be mouth ulcers, you can't even get the syringe in the sides of the mouth. I've paid $440 the past two days, I don't have a ton of money, I just want this resolved. They gave me a new antibiotic for him and also some lysine, but he's not eating, so I can't use it yet. I pray he'll eat something tomorrow. I feel like on top of the URI and stuffy nose, his mouth is sore from the ulcers and is adding to the not eating issue. He can only be given fluids for so long, right? He's so miserable. I just want him healthy so he can play with his sister and enjoy doing kitten things.

leftiesrock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is them this morning before Newton went to Dr. He's the orange tabby. You can see here how pitiful and lethargic he feels. :/

slufferk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Take him back so they can give him a appetite booster. Crossing my fingers for his improvement. I also found isolating and smearing wet cat food on the top of his paws, which he will then lick off because they hate dirty paws, can be a helpful way of feeding a sick cat without stressing them out too much. It's just a slow processes.

leftiesrock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took back to Vet today for all day stay. More IVs, fever will not come down. He is on IV antibiotics and fluids. They prescribed him Clamoxin (sp?) once he gets better. They did give him an appetite enhancer yesterday but it has done nothing. His mouth is full of ulcers so I'm sure it's painful to eat. They had fed him via syringe. They also gave him an anti inflammatory, which I assume is supposed to help the fever, but nothing has helped.

They want to insert a feeding tube, which freaks me out, but tomorrow will be 4 days with no food on his own (only thru syringe). The cost of that is $300 and I've already spent $500+

Thank God for care credit, otherwise I don't know what I would do! My $50 adoption kitty is now a $1000 adoption kitty. :/

Has anyone ever had a feeding tube in their kitty, is it as easy as the Vet is making it sound? The one plus is that he can be given his meds that way too, no more trying to stick a syringe in his little cheek.

I don't know what to do, what if I do all this, and he still doesn't get better? I'm worried sick and not sure which way to turn.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took back to Vet today for all day stay. More IVs, fever will not come down. He is on IV antibiotics and fluids. They prescribed him Clamoxin (sp?) once he gets better. They did give him an appetite enhancer yesterday but it has done nothing. His mouth is full of ulcers so I'm sure it's painful to eat. They had fed him via syringe. They also gave him an anti inflammatory, which I assume is supposed to help the fever, but nothing has helped.

They want to insert a feeding tube, which freaks me out, but tomorrow will be 4 days with no food on his own (only thru syringe). The cost of that is $300 and I've already spent $500+
Thank God for care credit, otherwise I don't know what I would do! My $50 adoption kitty is now a $1000 adoption kitty. :/

Has anyone ever had a feeding tube in their kitty, is it as easy as the Vet is making it sound? The one plus is that he can be given his meds that way too, no more trying to stick a syringe in his little cheek.

I don't know what to do, what if I do all this, and he still doesn't get better? I'm worried sick and not sure which way to turn.
What kind of feeding tube are they recommending?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lots of folks here have used them successfully, although I have not had to...yet...~crossed fingers~  Sounds almost like a thrush type thing in his mouth.  Not sure what to do for that.  Yogurt helps in people, but cats have that lactose intolerance thing going on, and I'm not sure at what age it develops.  Keep us posted.  Thinking of you guys!

leftiesrock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I forgot something. I suggest giving Newton baby saline drops in his nostrils to help clear his nose up, but Vet said no to saline drops, but said to pick up some pediatric Afrin, anyone tried this? AND, I am going to purchase a humidifier today. Are humidifiers and vaporizers the same thing?

leftiesrock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not sure what kind of feeding tube it is. Hell, I didn't know there was more than one.  :/

I'll update again tomorrow.

leftiesrock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom said to ask the Vet if he's been tested for allergies? Is there a "test" for that? He's still not eating which means he'll have to get the feeding tube tomorrow. But, my concern is, even if he gets the tube, that does NOT mean his URI will go away! I'm gonna put some lysine in his food to help boost his immunity and invest in a humidifier or vaporizer also.  I'm beginning to wonder if I just got a "sick" kitty and he'll never get better.