Uri In Cats

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

When I rescued my baby, he already had an Upper Respiratory Infection, together with walking pneumonia and a congested lung. He has had all his shots etc, and the vet ruled out herpes and the other thing I can't remember the name of now. My vet told me an URI is also like a common cold, and in most cases goes away, but to take him for an examination if it doesn't improve after a week/10 days. This was when I first rescued Viking last year June. The URI went away with antibiotics (he was very sick) and eye drops.

I noticed yesterday that he's sneezing a lot again, and has a clear, non-smelly discharge from his right eye. I have wiped it with a warm cloth a few times, he doesn't seem in pain or bothered. He eats and drinks water. I know he's under the weather because he sleeps more than usual and doesn't yell at me to play with him. I took Da Bird out last night and he didn't chase it, instead came to me for a cuddle.

I am MOTHER HEN when it comes to my baby. I have the money to take him to the vet, I'd do anything for him as he's all I got. However, I also worry too much, so I thought I'd come here and ask for fellow cat lovers advice (and experience) with UTI in cats. I will absolutely take him to the vet if it doesn't improve, but this is day 2 and he is not "sick sick". How many of you have had cats with URI/common colds, and how long did it last for, what are some tips and advise you can give me in the meantime?

Thank you so much,
Me & Viking xox

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should add I'm in Florida and the central AC can blow quite cold air some days depending on the temp outside (and it's been boiling hot lately!) - he is an indoor boy, so I am aware the AC can have contributed to his current cold. I have turned the indoor temp up so the cool air isn't so cold.

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry - I can't seem to find the edit button to add to this post. Like I said money is not an issue for the vet - it's just a real hurdle getting there as he will run at the mere sight of the carrier - y'all know the struggle. So I rather not take him today/tomorrow unless I can tell he's really unwell.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I'm sorry you haven't been answered yet.
The edit button isn't available until you've posted a certain number of posts, it's a site rule due to too many educational threads getting deleted by the original poster when they didn't like the feedback they were getting.

What with the extra sleeping, lack of enthusiasm along with his visible signs, I would advise making an urgent appointment - this doesn't sound good, although I'm not a vet so I don't know for sure that it's bad.

Try some calming products (sprays, collars, treats) for the carrier, on you, a towel for covering the carrier, whether Feliway, Jackson Galaxy products, and there are numerous other brands that have different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.
Composure is a product to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one, and Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy.
--Even prescription if nothing else, --Gabapentin is good for travel, amitriptyline can help with general anxiety and OCD (like excessive grooming).

Good luck!!

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried making an appointment today but they had nothing till Monday so I just have to keep an eye on him till then, and in case he gets worse there is an emergency vet too. He eats and drinks and just played with me, then sneezed 4 times in a row.
My vet told me once a cat has had URI it can come back and usually nothing to worry about, but me being me want to learn everything I can do in case of a common cold. Thank you for your response.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats will occasionally get the sniffles, i think with my guys its normally an allergy thing. If they were still to have problems after 24 to 48 hours i would take them to the vet. Sometimes a little thing can become a bigger thing that is more difficult to control. So i always try to be a bit proactive with vet care, and yes i do make trips that turn out to be for nothing other than my peace of mind. But sometimes it was a much needed trip. you just never know.
Hopefully not needed with your guy. keep us updated.

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. I'm a worrier also. I couldn't sleep last night because I have to take my fur baby to the vet in a couple of days, and leave her all day. She is the same as your little man, and gets very stressed which causes a Uri. She just got over her last one, now she will get another. I got some antibiotics on my last visit to get on to it right away. It worked well. As soon as the sneezing started, I gave her some. It cleared up in about a wk. The same last time. Maybe your cat should have some also? Best to have him checked out. If money isn't a problem, try a mobile vet. Much less stress. Hope he gets better soon.

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. He got better just like that. I had an appointment for today but cancelled it. He's been running around like his old self, his excitement for Da Bird is a good indication he's feeling better. So happy.

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And he hasn't sneezed either. I wonder what it was. Maybe I should vacuum more.

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's scorching hot outside, so the central AC has been cooler than usual. I changed the temp, and his sniffles seemed to disappear quicker than I expected. I am in Florida, it's been almost 80 degrees outside.

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know how you feel. I'm a worrier also. I couldn't sleep last night because I have to take my fur baby to the vet in a couple of days, and leave her all day. She is the same as your little man, and gets very stressed which causes a Uri. She just got over her last one, now she will get another. I got some antibiotics on my last visit to get on to it right away. It worked well. As soon as the sneezing started, I gave her some. It cleared up in about a wk. The same last time. Maybe your cat should have some also? Best to have him checked out. If money isn't a problem, try a mobile vet. Much less stress. Hope he gets better soon.
Yes, and my vet said the same about the URI, it can become a reoccurring thing in some cats. And yes to a mobile vet. I know there is one in my area, I will save their details on my phone. Thank you.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible he has allergies and/or herpes. Herpes will cause the URI symptoms to reoccur.

Vikingsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's possible he has allergies and/or herpes. Herpes will cause the URI symptoms to reoccur.
He was already tested for Herpes. Allergies is a possibility. I have rescheduled our appointment to discuss this. I thought he had URI again, mainly because of how severe it was when I first found him. This time his sneezing came on so sudden and pretty much left a day later, which confused me, so I just need to be sure. Thank you

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did your weather change? When we have humid days or windy days or there's a front coming, my herpes girl gets very sneezy and croupy sounding. She gets a daily antihistamine, but sometimes it just isn't enough.