Urgent. Need help. Cat not using the litter box...

calcifer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I've had my cat for almost two years now. He's a male, neutered, not declawed.

When we first got him as a kitten, he was completely litter trained and he went in his box consistently. He got a little older though, and he started pooping outside of his box. He stopped though, so I didn't think it was a big deal.

For the past year or so, though, it's been cause for celebration when he poops in his box.

I tried changing his litter, and it worked for maybe a week before he started pooping again. I tried scrubbing out the entire box, and it worked for maybe a day. I tried moving the box to a different part of my room, which worked for about a month, then again, he started pooping outside of it. His box is hooded, so I tried taking the hood off, which worked for a while, then I tried putting it back on, which also worked for a while, so I took it off again, and it is off now.

I'm at my wits end, because he doesn't do this in any other room of the house, just my room where his litter box is. It's absolutely disgusting and infuriating. He even scratches at the carpet when he's done, like he's trying to cover it up. I've clapped at him when I catch him, to startle him, but he seems really unconcerned.

He still pees in the box consistently though. I just don't know what to do. I can't live the next ten years with a room that smells like cat poop.

Edit: I use clumping litter, and I have used it since he was a kitten.

Also, whenever we go out of town, which is rarely, we take him with us. We've only gone twice, and he came both times. He used his box the entire time we were gone, which was about a week each time, but as soon as we got back home, he pooped on my floor again...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

calcifer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried Tidy Cats and a store brand, though he seems to prefer the store brand. Both are clumping litter, though.

I haven't tried having two litter boxes either, though... but I don't know where I would put two of them, since I'm only allowed to have them in my bedroom...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calcifer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
bumping this...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you properly cleaned the areas he's soiled in? you'll need an enzyme cleaner or he'll still be able to smell it an remark. There are specific pet products available, or biological (enzyme) laundry powder mixed with water works and is far more cost effective. 

Also, could he be seeing a cat out the window that's upsetting him?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried having two litter boxes either, though... but I don't know where I would put two of them, since I'm only allowed to have them in my bedroom...
I would try this first. Some cats just won't pee and poop in the same box, who knows why? Cats are weird. Put them right next to each other, or put the second box wherever you put the first box when you moved it.