Urgent: Male Cat Harassing Pregnant Cat?

weech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family currently has two Siamese cats: a 9 year old neutered male and a 1 year old pregnant female. She's between 40-50 days along and we're very excited: she's got the belly, the nipples, she's sleeping and eating a ton and cuddling quite a lot.

One of the things that's sort of worrying us, however, is the boy cat.

The two generally get along quite well despite their differences in age, weight, and temperament (Boy Cat is overweight and lazy; Lady Cat gets the zoomies and was described by the vet as "looking like a model"), but recently during her pregnancy he's begun to be a bit rough with her, specifically mounting her. My mom, sister and dad all insist they've seen Lady Cat act as if she's in heat despite obviously being very pregnant; I haven't seen that but I have seen her roll around a bit (to me it seemed like she was just trying to get comfortable), briefly present her booty but then immediately crawl over to treat on the ground, eat it, and then flop over again, and generally just get somewhere that Boy Cat can't get to her and sleep.

If my family is correct and Lady Cat is showing signs of being Hopelessly Randy, is that normal? If they're mistaken, is it normal for an adult cat to get aggressive towards a pregnant cat, even if they generally get along as he's been neutered?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He’s instinctively reacting to her pregnancy hormones, which are similar to in-heat hormones. However, if he’s bothering her you’ll want to separate them, especially once the kittens arrive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s instinctively reacting to her pregnancy hormones, which are similar to in-heat hormones. However, if he’s bothering her you’ll want to separate them, especially once the kittens arrive.
That's what I'm thinking but my mom in particular is worried. Is it normal for pregnant cats in the late-mid stage of pregnancy to do some stuff more akin to cats in heat? Specifically rolling around and sort of "getting in position"? Mom says she's seen Lady Cat do that; I haven't though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s not something I’ve ever seen, but it sounds like her hormones are in high gear and she “feels” like she’s in heat so she’s assuming some of the heat behaviors. As long as she’s not actually mating it’s fine.