[ URGENT ] Ingested plastic of treat

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 1 year old, female, spayed and everything. I left her treat box in the room with her accidentally for 15 min and when i came she had swallowed half the packet. I’ve attached the size and all. The plastic is smooth but its a lot and she is vomiting ( she vomitted out 2 pieces but next few vomits were just plain ) . I called vet and they said to keep on look as there’s nothing can be done atm. It’s been 5 hours since she ate it.
ive liquid paraffin but i read it shouldnt be given in vomits. She is already vomiting so idk how to make her vomit the plastic. What do i do!??

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since she is still vomiting, take her to an ER vet and have them look at her. I suggest this because your vet doesn't seem to want to do anything proactive or be helpful. You could call your vet back with an update and see if that changes their mind about seeing her or offering other tips. Personally speaking, I would never try any home remedy in an attempt to resolve the situation - just too risky.

It could be that this will pass on its own, but better to be safe than sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can take her to different vet but my vet said there’s not much that can be done at vet other than just watching her passing by herself.
do you think I should absolutely contact other vet and go there? Its 10Pm ( i mean ill do anything)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd at least call the other vet and ask their opinion, including anything that you could do yourself.

I am basing this on the fact that she is continuing to vomit. Although an x-ray isn't likely to show the plastic itself, it might detect any sort of obstruction it could be causing.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
consulted 2 other vets and they both said to give her some salt / salt water. I did and she threw up 2 more big pieces of plastic. Hoping she throws more

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope that works! Let us know what happens.
She is asleep now , she threw up those 2 plastic pieces and went to sleep again.
usually when she is sick , she doesn’t sleep and or is just loafing but she is actually deep sleeping which means she isnt in any discomfort or pain ? Hopefully. She will definitely throw up more as the night grows. I can see as I’m typing she is munching her mouth so she about to throw up

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She could just be exhausted from throwing up so much. At some point in time, she could become dehydrated.

Did the vets tell you how long to wait until it becomes an issue for them to get involved?

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just threw up again. No plastic came though. She does seem very tired. One vet like when i called last to bring her and he will give injection to make her vomit and thats it.
if she continues to throw up for few more hours, l I’ll take her to ER coz she might get dehydrated. What else can i do??

Aileen666

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 1 year old, female, spayed and everything. I left her treat box in the room with her accidentally for 15 min and when i came she had swallowed half the packet. I’ve attached the size and all. The plastic is smooth but its a lot and she is vomiting ( she vomitted out 2 pieces but next few vomits were just plain ) . I called vet and they said to keep on look as there’s nothing can be done atm. It’s been 5 hours since she ate it.
ive liquid paraffin but i read it shouldnt be given in vomits. She is already vomiting so idk how to make her vomit the plastic. What do i do!??
She could have a blockage. I would take her to the ER. I had a cat that would eat plastic , rubber bands , TP, paper. It was such a pain to make sure everything was locked up from TP, face tissue , grocery bags and he also ate string and one time ate his litter and part of his scratcher. He never had a blockage but I was always paranoid

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She could have a blockage. I would take her to the ER. I had a cat that would eat plastic , rubber bands , TP, paper. It was such a pain to make sure everything was locked up from TP, face tissue , grocery bags and he also ate string and one time ate his litter and part of his scratcher. He never had a blockage but I was always paranoid
I mean she doesn’t have a blockage atm or does she? She is still throwing up after sleeping for an hour. It’s just little pale yellow white , little foam.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think any vet, in their right mind, would suggest giving her any more of anything to make her vomit more than she already has. Her vomiting what she is now throwing up may mean her stomach is empty, other than stomach juices/bile.

Have you called the vet(s) to tell them what she last threw up and how tired she appears? They really need to be kept abreast of what is happening with her - I would not personally care if they think I was bothering them. At some point in time, they need to advise what else to do or if she should - at a minimum - be brought in for rehydration. I don't have any solutions for you, nor can I say whether or not there is some plastic that made its way to her upper intestines and is posing an issue.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She last threw up an hour or so ago , is sleeping now. Do i get her ultrasound right now?? I wont get her to vomit anymore since its been almost 8-9 hours since she ate plastic.
Ive attached the amount she has threw up but there’s still same or more in her stomach. Im very scared , ive no idea how to proceed.

Attachments

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she pooped at all since? Not pooping could mean a blockage. Is there blood in the vomit?

If this continues she may need some fluids to rehydrate her. So would be probably worth it to take her in for that.

Look for a sunken glazy look in her eyes and skin not snapping back when scruffed gently. Also dry tacky gums. These all indicate dehydration. Be careful with the salt water as salt can cause dehydration.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no way to tell where the rest of the plastic is after having been digested that long ago. As mentioned above. not knowing her typical BM activity, has there been any since she ingested the plastic?

Have you called any of these vets back to tell them what she last threw up, and also show them what plastic she has thrown up and your belief that there is equally as much still left in her system somewhere?

Call them. I can't believe at this juncture, one of them won't want to see her - also as mentioned above, for rehydration if nothing else.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is no way to tell where the rest of the plastic is after having been digested that long ago. As mentioned above. not knowing her typical BM activity, has there been any since she ingested the plastic?

Have you called any of these vets back to tell them what she last threw up, and also show them what plastic she has thrown up and your belief that there is equally as much still left in her system somewhere?

Call them. I can't believe at this juncture, one of them won't want to see her - also as mentioned above, for rehydration if nothing else.
she pooped around 6 hours after eating plastic.
she is sleeping and wakes up and throws up and goes back to sleep. Don’t think she is dehydrated yet but she is definitely tired. She slept for 2-2.5 hours again and woke up just now to throw up again. Idk how to stop her throwing up. I consulted different vets and noone of them said there’s anything that can be done other than waiting for it to pass on its own at this point. Ive shown type of plastic to them too and they said it should be fine passing through. But my main concern still is that she is still throwing up. Is it common to throw up this long? I mean its getting less frequent but still frequent enough. I’ll get her to hospital as soon as it opens and its almost 4:30 am now.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you put the pieces together enough to get an idea of how much might still be inside her? I’ve had to do that before. My boy would have eaten that as well. Also, you could syringe some water into her if she’s able to keep it down. Her tummy is probably very irritated

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There’s still half of what she ate inside her. I can make her drink water through syringe and see if she keeps it down.