urgent! Help! lack of bones or other problem??

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, well now that you mention Turkey Liver, just remember that that particular liver is extra high in vitamin A, so you want to feed it in limited quantities

.  That's the only one I know of that has something "special" about it. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No joke! I have not heard of turkey butt either. Maybe you mean something else, Yoske? My Perla will practically starve herself to evade raw. She has been my cross to bear during this past year with our raw transition. I would never starve her though to get her to eat raw because believe me, she will go hungry rather than eat raw most days. You might want to try some topper's such as the Whole Life Freezed Dried Chicken or the Halo Freeze Dried Chicken. Easily crumbled on top of the raw and might get your kitten started right in on the raw. These companies even make a salmon flavored freezed dried product to try. Also, bonito flakes. I have an array of topper's in my cabinet, mostly for Perla :rolleyes:
The OP lives in Israel (and is a vegan!). But the idea is the same - finding something she loves that can be used to alter the smell of the food you want/need her to eat, to encourage her to eat what's good for her. :nod:

Turkey butt in the US is usually sold smoked, like a ham. It's just very fatty. Probably great for a growing kitten. :nod:

Yoshke, Gary asks (my husband, Gary, lived in Israel for 9 years. He was in a combat unit, active, from 1981 - 1987, the active in reserves until he returned to the US) if you've tried local butchers as opposed to a supermarket?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Turkey butt in the US is usually sold smoked, like a ham. It's just very fatty. Probably great for a growing kitten. :nod:
Thanks! I googled it and yep to my surprise, a food source. Guess my fatties will never eat it.... no fat for the fatties. :lol3:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

yoshke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

sorry I don't check too often.

ldg I do visit some butchers where I live but apparently there's a problem w kosher laws about slaughter and whatnot. But I will keep snooping and when I find I'll buy enough for a while and freeze.

i made egg shell powder!!

thanks (: 

yoshke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we feed the esp w ground beef and it goes ok.

HOWEVER we just had a horrific case of diarreah + blood in the stool (sorry for the imagery).

WHAT TO DO? is it all a matter of bones / Calcium?

thank you...

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How much bone is she getting?

Is she an indoor only cat?

The blood is really concerning--was it bright red or dark red?

Can you call your vet?

yoshke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
bone - maybe not enough.

indoor mostly, we take her to hang out outside, but we keep an eye on her - unlikely she ate something. but possible.

dark red.

my vet will probably say "you idiot, you fed her raw against my advice. start by stopping the raw feeding."

:) 

:( :(

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dark red blood is more concerning than bright red; dark red blood means it's occurring higher in the digestive track.

It could be anything from a food allergy to parasites (like roundworm).

Where are you getting the ground beef--how long before it is ground to when you feed the cat the ground beef.

I wouldn't want you to be in a position to tell yourself:  I was an idiot for NOT taking my cat to the vet.

I would try to get a stool sample and take it to your vet for testing.

And there is a saying:  take what you need [from the vets, like antibiotics] and leave the rest [his opinion about raw food].

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dark red blood is more concerning than bright red; dark red blood means it's occurring higher in the digestive track.
It could be anything from a food allergy to parasites (like roundworm).
Where are you getting the ground beef--how long before it is ground to when you feed the cat the ground beef.
I wouldn't want you to be in a position to tell yourself:  I was an idiot for NOT taking my cat to the vet.
I would try to get a stool sample and take it to your vet for testing.
And there is a saying:  take what you need [from the vets, like antibiotics] and leave the rest [his opinion about raw food].
:yeah:

How often is he having the diarrhea? Is it continuing? Sometimes they can get a bacterial or protozoan infection and it will pass if their immune system is strong enough, but if it's lasted for more than a day, getting a fecal sample to the vet is really the only option, as they'll need to determine what's causing it so it can be properly treated. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

If he's not already on an acidophilus supplement, I would also find one to start right away. Look for a human supplement with at least 5 billion CFU as he's just a few months old, right? If he's over 6 months, you can bump it to 10 billion CFU. They're often sold in a capsule, and this can be sprinkled right on his food. If the vet prescribes antibiotics, just make sure to give the antibiotics and probiotics at least two hours apart.

yoshke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THANK you today it seems to be okay. 

We will add acidophilus.

Pikey is a SHE. 

Kisses. thanks for the wonderful answers and support you are all real guys and dolls.