Urgent Friday may 19 2023

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took lily to the vet today a vet I have used 35 years to check a tooth and gums
He said she did not need a dental cleaning and she does not Although 8 years old and never had a cleaning
Also she has ever had any type illness

He gave her a steroid shot in case she has any unseen inflammation in mouth and said she has some moisture slight in the ears we bought the ear drops with nystatin and steroid to use five days he prescribed

He also said it is safe to put rubbing alcohol in her ears with a dropper twice a month to clean and dry out her ears

Lily is an indoor cat 8 years old healthy

When we brought her into the house from the vet today one of her eyes the pupil was so narrow vertically of course that it had almost disappeared and eye lid dropped 3/4
Down

Then two hours ago the eyelid is still dropped but the pupil what there is of it is to the far left
Of the eyeball socket and the third eye has covered the eyeball

I called the vet and he said he has no idea
And I asked could it be from the steroid shot
He said he never knew that to hapoen
And perhaps she scratched the eye

I said no she did not this happened after the shot and she has not injured her eye

So does anyone on cat site had this happen?

Could a steroid shot cause blindness in a cat
That fast or rather the way the eye looks ?

I am so concerned she is also very lethargic
It’s been six hours

Lily was totally healthy
Perfect weight
Grain free food
No illnesses
Beautiful eyes

Attachments

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
What a lovely cow cat! (Have you seen our thread on this, and indeed, our monthly photo competition?). Sounds to me, unless she seems in real pain, like a ‘wait and see‘ situation? But certainly go w/ your gut on this…if she seems in pain, emphatically call your vet and tell them so. Did you clean out your cat’s ears? I’m quite sure you didn’t do this, being a good cat owner, but all I can think of (and am no expert): could a teeny tiny bit of the rubbing alcohol have somehow gotten on the eye? My bet though is she’ll be better tomorrow. Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Margot
If lily had gotten alcohol in her eye when he sprayed it in her ear

If it Inflamed the pupil and narrowed the pupil to where it was not even thicker than a sewing needle and the white third eye has covered the eyeball now

wouldn’t lily have cried this aft meowed from pain ?

Your thoughts ?
How do I enter her in the contest?

Thanks for replying fast

Sheri and lily

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
If you go to “forums” you will see Competition of the Month. Want to emphasize I like you am just another cat owner…aside from the nictating/third eyelid does your cat seem in distress? I’m sorry, I personally don’t know more than this but I’m positive more members will respond ere long.

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Margot lily is asleep
she had the shot about seven hours ago

No meowing
Cats do not show pain most of the time

prayers for her eye and to not be sicker from the steroid she was totally healthy and also Great vision till she got her first steroid shot in her life time today

Sheri and lily

Pester

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Still the same? I think in the morning you should update your vet if nothing changes. Still hoping someone on this site has experienced same!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello
I haven't read anything on the site that's at all like this situation.

Whether or not her lethargy and eye reaction are happening because of the steroid or something else entirely, if she hasn't improved tomorrow I would take her to see a different vet in a completely different clinic.

Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community

I see you found the photo competition, but in case this helps here is the cow kitty thread :)
Cow cats

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry I didn’t read replies. I am not a vet and of course am not diagnosing anything.
It sounds allot like horners syndrome. If it was my cat, I would not put anything in the ears. It usually will resolve in a couple of weeks without treatment. If that’s what it is.

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took lily to the vet today a vet I have used 35 years to check a tooth and gums
He said she did not need a dental cleaning and she does not Although 8 years old and never had a cleaning
Also she has ever had any type illness

He gave her a steroid shot in case she has any unseen inflammation in mouth and said she has some moisture slight in the ears we bought the ear drops with nystatin and steroid to use five days he prescribed

He also said it is safe to put rubbing alcohol in her ears with a dropper twice a month to clean and dry out her ears

Lily is an indoor cat 8 years old healthy

When we brought her into the house from the vet today one of her eyes the pupil was so narrow vertically of course that it had almost disappeared and eye lid dropped 3/4
Down

Then two hours ago the eyelid is still dropped but the pupil what there is of it is to the far left
Of the eyeball socket and the third eye has covered the eyeball

I called the vet and he said he has no idea
And I asked could it be from the steroid shot
He said he never knew that to hapoen
And perhaps she scratched the eye

I said no she did not this happened after the shot and she has not injured her eye

So does anyone on cat site had this happen?

Could a steroid shot cause blindness in a cat
That fast or rather the way the eye looks ?

I am so concerned she is also very lethargic
It’s been six hours

Lily was totally healthy
Perfect weight
Grain free food
No illnesses
Beautiful eyes
today is saturday..We returned to the same clinic today and sat outside in the for 3 hours...Due to air fresheners and cleaning chemicals make both of us very sick in any vet clinic and lily lives in a totally scent and chemical free house with us.

I asked for another vet I saw once before..

I said I think Lily has had an adverse reaction to her first. and only steroid shot done yesterday here.

I said have you ever seen this happen from a steroid shot. He nodded YES.

He then listened to the eyes and vision and the pupil disappearing and the white third eye covering the eye as the hours passed through the night here at home.

He said it was the cranial nerves and the steroid shot did that and her tremors and also she has a fever and has to eaten or drank water in 30 hours..

He gave her a shot to hydrate her and said if it works it will help within 12 hours..

After that I said what do I need to look for because I need to prepare myself going back home with her and 30 miles away and the clinic closed for the weekend.

Due to finances I really want to do what I can at home..

He said well watch for a stroke, or possible not eating or drinking water and I said thank you for being truthful..

I just need to prepare myself should I have to euthanize a totally healthy 8 year old cat that has never been sick not one time in her entire life..

Just wanted to share this with everyone..

I certainly will not add to her declining health by starting the nystatin ear drops that have steroid in those too..the other doctor prescribed yesterday..

No more shots and no more drugs ...at this time and never another steroid shot for Lily.

She happened to be the one that it caused a life threatening situation with and I know the steroid shots work for others but it harmed Lily..a totally healthy cat.. This cat I am so in love with and sleeps with me every night and lies on my husband to watch tv with him.She was s shelter cat...

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry this happened to you and your dear Lily.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my. Rooting for you and Lily and don’t be afraid to tell us any little thing, anytime, if it helps you. Feeling angry that the first vet said nothing about all this. I HAVE read several threads on here where a cat makes it back from a stroke so fingers crossed. Give her extra pets and love and tell her what a good upstanding kitty she is…love the splotch on her nose.

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my. Rooting for you and Lily and don’t be afraid to tell us any little thing, anytime, if it helps you. Feeling angry that the first vet said nothing about all this. I HAVE read several threads on here where a cat makes it back from a stroke so fingers crossed. Give her extra pets and love and tell her what a good upstanding kitty she is…love the splotch on her nose.
Thank you 🙏 lily and sheri

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also cats are more inclined to drink if they have lots of extra saucers around the room. Not sure why but have read this.
Lily will not drink with fresh filtered water
Nor from a dropper I tried to wet her lips
I know to never squirt water in a pets mouth because do not want it to get in her lungs
I keep praying 🙏 as many are out there that praying for lily thanks sheri and lily

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Lily will not drink with fresh filtered water
Nor from a dropper I tried to wet her lips
I know to never squirt water in a pets mouth because do not want it to get in her lungs
I keep praying 🙏 as many are out there that praying for lily thanks sheri and lily
Thinking of you often today. Cats get the majority of their water through eating wet food, though it sounds as if she’s not eating too much. (Maybe try different kinds to entice?) Continued hope she is feeling better. Are there any traveling vets so you don’t have to drive 30 miles? Try to get some sleep if you can, as that will help you be clear headed for any driving.

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thinking of you often today. Cats get the majority of their water through eating wet food, though it sounds as if she’s not eating too much. (Maybe try different kinds to entice?) Continued hope she is feeling better. Are there any traveling vets so you don’t have to drive 30 miles? Try to get some sleep if you can, as that will help you be clear headed for any driving.
Thank you margot
I bought some iams wet food and will try that
Again this aft. She normally eats grain free blue wilderness. indoor hairball chicken dry catfood but I agree the moisture in the wet container iams is what I am trying thanks sheri

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
It can take awhile for a cat to get used to a new food item, so don’t give up!

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you margot
I bought some iams wet food and will try that
Again this aft. She normally eats grain free blue wilderness. indoor hairball chicken dry catfood but I agree the moisture in the wet container iams is what I am trying thanks sheri
It can take awhile for a cat to get used to a new food item, so don’t give up!
Prayers were answered
lily drank water this morning first drop in three days
and had no food of any kind for three days after the adverse reaction to her first and only
Long duration 9o day Steroid shot. She did not need the shot there was no illness upon exam I just trusted this vet doctor and had used him for thirty years and never had a negative comment or action from him

I even sent him a thank you card after we euthanized our one year old house cat feb28
And sent holiday cards etc through the years and candy to the staff and be a few times

We think lily will live but there are 87 more days till that steroid is out of her ll pound body

she had cranial nerve damage from the steroid

the second vet said so and her eye was affected

but thanks 🙏 to God in the name of
Jesus Christ his son !

For all on this site who prayed and for his touch of healing on lily !

Sheri and lily
4A6E9652-B717-46CE-8C25-C6384369DC37.jpeg