Urgent - cat suddenly not eating, euthenasia scheduled

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
14 year old cat was pretty normal last week. Racing around the house like she was a fraction of that age.

She suddenly stopped eating. Her food had been changed to what we feed outdoor cats and she loved it. Started to drink and pee a lot. Kidney test showed slight elevation. Not dehydrated.

Began syringe feeding a slurry of Science Diet A/D Saturday 10cc 3-4x daily. Losing weight.

Now seems confused and wobbly. When drinking water or after feeding, she seems to have convulsive reflexes in her stomach. She has stayed in her box/bed on a sherpa blanket with a heating pad below. She has been to the vet twice in the past 2 days and vet can find nothing wrong.

I cannot put her through explorative surgery. I do not think she is strong enough. I do not want her to suffer, but cannot come to a conclusion as to how she declined so quick.

Please! Any thoughts appreciated. As of now, I am planning on euthanasia tomorrow. I don't know what is wrong or even if it can be fixed. I don't want her to suffer any longer.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There is nothing wrong in not wanting to prolong your cat’s suffering. There could be many reasons why she stopped eating, but without further testing, you won’t know why. Even with further testing, you might still not get an answer.

Have any treatments been done?
Can you post a picture of her?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry. I don’t know what could be causing it. Maybe others will have advice. Hugs 🤗

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
14 year old cat was pretty normal last week. Racing around the house like she was a fraction of that age.

She suddenly stopped eating. Her food had been changed to what we feed outdoor cats and she loved it. Started to drink and pee a lot. Kidney test showed slight elevation. Not dehydrated.

Began syringe feeding a slurry of Science Diet A/D Saturday 10cc 3-4x daily. Losing weight.

Now seems confused and wobbly. When drinking water or after feeding, she seems to have convulsive reflexes in her stomach. She has stayed in her box/bed on a sherpa blanket with a heating pad below. She has been to the vet twice in the past 2 days and vet can find nothing wrong.

I cannot put her through explorative surgery. I do not think she is strong enough. I do not want her to suffer, but cannot come to a conclusion as to how she declined so quick.

Please! Any thoughts appreciated. As of now, I am planning on euthanasia tomorrow. I don't know what is wrong or even if it can be fixed. I don't want her to suffer any longer.
Have you tried feeding her a human-grade raw diet? Maybe try plain raw meat for now, whatever you can get, and order a raw diet for her. If she doesn't eat it, you could feed your outdoor cats whatever she leaves. I recommend Raw Dog Food & Co. Also, if you can, at least cut out the dry food. With the startling statistic that one in three cats will die of kidney failure, you don't want to increase your cat's chances of becoming a part of that statistic!