Urgent - cat fearful and attacking!

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do. I have a cat almost 5 years old, feral rescue, has been super-sweet since a tiny kitten when I got her. today she got caught in the cat door when I was in another room, and by the time I got to her, she was free of the door (screaming her head off) and my German Shepherd had her down. I don't think he hurt her, I pulled him off and put him in his crate, and she ran to the bedroom. 

She has asthma btw, and winter is hard on her. We have her attacks under control, but I have to be careful of her. 

I spent about an hour and a half in the room with her, waiting for her to calm down, not moving, just making the facial gestures that usually help calm her. She finally stopped growling and seemed a bit better, but then she suddenly came at me and scratched my face, just missed my eye. She won't let me walk around or move and attacks my feet. I don't want to restrain her or scare her in any way, and want to regain her trust, and need her to stay as calm as possible. If she has an attack in this state, she won't let me help her. 

I tried to get to the bathroom to get antibiotic cream for my eye, and she rushed ahead of me and attacked my shoes. I didn't know what else to do, I closed the door, and she's in there alone now. Her litterbox is in there, but the room is chilly. I don't normally leave her alone in there because she used to chew the plants, but hasn't done that in a long time and they are not poisonous, so hopefully it's ok. But I can't get in my bathroom or closet, and I also can't know if she's ok. 

Any suggestions? i can't buy Feliway near here, it would be an hour and a half drive. She's just started asking to be let out ... I'm sure I'll have to let her out probably before I get a reply, but ... I need any suggestions I can get to deal with this. I don't know of anything other than what I've already done. 

I'm keeping the dog in the crate and the other cat in his bedroom, because I don't need her transferring any of this aggression to anyone else. She's had issues with the other cat in the past, so I haven't left them alone together in probably a year and a half or two now. 

Thanks if anyone can help!!!

Oh, btw, she was spayed as soon as she was old enough, the other cat is neutered, they were raised together, she bosses the dog normally anyway (she runs the house in fact) and ... the cat door only leads to the garage. She likes to go out there and prowl, and I let her when the garage door is closed. She is never allowed outside, neither of them ever have been, in case the "cat door" part has anyone thinking that. It was installed when I moved in, and there's another that leads outside, but I keep that one locked. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, no longer urgent. At least I don't think so. 

Cooling off ALONE seems to have done the trick. She's acting fairly normally now. She did rub her scent all over me and I held off petting her until she was really begging for it. And I still haven't taken more than a step or so, which means I'm in bed right next to the bathroom door, but she seems normal now. 

I have stuff to do, but I'm going to give her a little more time to be sure. She was really breathing raggedly and her eyes were glistening a lot during that first hour and a half while I was in the room with her trying to calm her down.

Lesson learned? Let them cool off ALONE instead of trying to reassure them?

I don't know. Maybe she associated me with her fear/pain because I was nearby afterward, or because I yelled at the dog to get off her. 

At any rate, she seems ok now. I hope THAT never happens again. Cat doors are evil I think. She must have tried to test it or something, and then backed up. I have no idea. I may have to deny her access (she'll hate that) and keep it locked. 

thanks anyway. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me too! I can't believe she went after my face. I must admit, I was scared of her after that. Strange to be afraid of such a tiny animal, but she is capable of inflicting some damage ... especially if I am mindful of not hurting her (which of course I don't want to hurt her). 

I'm sure me being afraid didn't help, and I'm sure she probably knew I was, but ... I can't really control that.