URGENT- Cat Caught a Bat

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I need some help.

My mom's indoor/outdoor cat caught a bat and brought it (alive) inside.

My parents caught the bat and have it in a box in the garage. I told them they need to call the health department to get the bat tested and the vet to see what they say/suggest. The issue is, the cat's rabies vaccine expired on August 4 of this year (mom had an appointment next week for everyone to get their annual).

The cat is being seen at 2 this afternoon. They put her in a separate room away from all the other cats. The health department is supposed to call her back this afternoon.

Is there anything else they need to do?

Also, my dumba** of a step-dad touched the bat with his bare hands, despite me explicitly saying not to....so that will be fun for him. He will probably need rabies shots.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they have the bat, they can test it, so that's good (well, not for the bat :(). If it tests negative, no problem! If it tests positive, yeah that could be a problem. I mean, I hope they won't get too crazy over a less-than-a-month-expired rabies vaccine, but some places will.

Have them call the vet and ask if they should bring the bat with them. They probably should unless the Health Department gets back to them beforehand and says otherwise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Since they have the bat, they can test it, so that's good (well, not for the bat :(). If it tests negative, no problem! If it tests positive, yeah that could be a problem. I mean, I hope they won't get too crazy over a less-than-a-month-expired rabies vaccine, but some places will.

Have them call the vet and ask if they should bring the bat with them. They probably should unless the Health Department gets back to them beforehand and says otherwise.
Thanks so much. I'll tell her to call the vet back and ask about the bat. As far as I know, it's still alive.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat probably has immunity from last vaccine.
This is true, I wouldn't worry about the cat getting rabies at all. BUT some places are extremely strict about rabies vaccinations and won't give any leeway, in which case they'd make the cat go into quarantine, which can get very expensive. But most places aren't that strict, hopefully this is the case for them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any update? Hopefully the box has a few small holes to allow air in. It wouldn't be humane to let the bat suffocate inside a box. Toss in an apple slice or something so the bat has a source of moisture in case it gets thirsty.

Last edited:

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Any update? Hopefully the box has a few small holes to allow air in. It wouldn't be humane to let the bat suffocate inside a box. Toss in an apple slice or something so the bat has a source of moisture.
The vet is seeing the cat at 2. They said to take the bat to the health department. I'll let them know about the moisture for the bat.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The chances of catching rabies from simply touching an infected animal is low.

The disease is transmitted through direct contact with saliva, brain tissue or bodily fluids. Contact via open wounds, contact with eyes or mucous membranes is generally considered to be the way to get infected. It's not impossible to get rabies just by touching an infected animal but, if you wash up after contact, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I agree that vaccinations don't expire at twelve O'clock midnight on the last day of the year when they are administered. Vaccine expiration dates are set a little bit conservatively so that one can be assured of immunity up to that date. It's a lot like the way the circuit breakers in your fuse box are derated for safety. If you have a 20 amp circuit breaker in your fuse box, it'll probably handle as much as 25 amps but they make them cut off a little bit lower just for safety. Same goes for vaccines.

If you give your cat the recommended booster shots, it doesn't matter whether there was a little bit of time lapsed in between. Your cat should still be protected.

I think you are being wise to capture the bat and turn it in for rabies examination. Not all bats have rabies but it is prevalent among bats. Many local health departments and state Game Commissions like to track the spread of rabies among animals in a given area and your bat will likely help them with their research whether it is infected or not. It's nice to know that something you did will help keep other people safe. Isn't it? :)

Bottom line: If you or your cat haven't come into contact with saliva or bodily fluids from an infected animal, you have little or nothing to worry about. Your caution is warranted but it's still nothing to fret about. :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Out here in LA county, bats are the one vector that will raise an alarm....actually, in other parts of CA as well. Usually, touching a downed bat will get you the rabies series (human) with no questions asked about how much it was handled, etc. As for the cat, who is probably very safe as others have said, have your wits about you and be ready to bring up quarantine, since the bat is in captivity, and the running of titers. You don't want some AC foot soldier hassling you about some job that he has to do.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
So Coco got her booster shot. The vet seemed unconcerned.

The health department came and got the bat, they should know something by Friday evening.

My stepdad will have to get rabies shots should the bat come back positive. They will have to quarantine Coco for 45 days if the bat comes back positive.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Slightly different situation. Yet Animal Control required me to quarantine one of my cats. Her rabies tag was about 60 days expired. They let me quarantine her in my home, with no outside time at all. Since she was indoors only (except the couple hours she got out and then put me in E.R.), that was not a problem.

I told them I would keep her in a large folding cat pen if required. They said, just keep all cats inside during the quarantine period.

CatFriend27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats catch & kill bats all the time, and none of them have been vaccinated for rabies. Is there a reason you were worried enough to take this bat to get tested for rabies? Is rabies high in your area?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I can only speak for myself, but in CA bats are considered to be the principal vector for rabies. If you come in contact with one it is very likely that you will be asked to take the rabies series and it could be tricky for your dog or cat as well, especially if they were not vaccinated. In some states, an unvaccinated animal will be put down if it encounters a rabid animal, no question of quarantining, looking for the wild animal, or titer testing. Check your stats in your county for your state to see what they say about rabies vectors with all wildlife and bats in particular.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
My cats catch & kill bats all the time, and none of them have been vaccinated for rabies. Is there a reason you were worried enough to take this bat to get tested for rabies? Is rabies high in your area?
Yes, rabies is particularly prevalent where my parents live. The health department was surprised that the bat tested negative.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you live in a country that has rabies, yes, bats are considered a major vector; 70% of US human rabies deaths are caused by bats. It's still not a high rate---something like .01% of bats have rabies---but bats are considered a higher risk because you always know if you got bit by a skunk but don't always know if a bat bit you while you were sleeping. It's best to vaccinate pets against rabies if you live in a rabies-endemic area, for their own health and for the health of the general (human) public.
Bat was negative for rabies! :yess: :yess: :yess: :yess:
Yay!!!