Urban Legends

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In cold weather, you do lose more heat from your head because, unlike in the rest of the body, the blood vessels lack the ability to constrict. This is a mechanism to protect the most vital areas of the body, and also why your hands and feet get cold first.
I have to disagree with you on this. Here's my reason.
According to the doctors, my migraines are caused by the constriction of blood vessels in my brain. This makes a lack of blood flow and oxygen. They then open all of a sudden, supplying a rush. Kind of like a dam opening up. This is what causes the migraine.
If they are unable to constrict, as you say, then how is it that my head is doing exactly that?
Not starting an argument, just stating that this is what all the zillions of tests I've had has shown.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was me in that situation, I would have punched that person in the face and then asked "Have you gotten over it yet?" when I would run into them. If ever they said yes, I would punch them in the face again and resume asking if they had gotten over it yet.
When this happened over 50 years ago, there were lots of old biddies around who would sniff and make comments like that. Thank goodness, people aren't like that anymore.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be more specific, I should have said the blood vessels in the scalp, not the brain.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be more specific, I should have said the blood vessels in the scalp, not the brain.
That's fair. When you said head, my mind jumped to brain.
Although, if they can't constrict in the scalp, that would explain why head wounds bleed a lot. I mean, they pour out blood.