Upset tummy

overwhelmed2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did something really stupid yesterday - my cat has an area over her left flank that is always matted so I rubbed a little olive oil into the area hoping to break up the matt a little and soothe her skin. I figured this couldn't hurt her as she sometimes eats a little of my food that is cooked in olive oil. Today while I was at work she must have peed and pooped normally as I scooped it out when I came home, then after dinner she pooped again. Since then she is constantly on the litter box straining but nothing comes out or just a tiny bit of soft poo (which sticks to her fur - yuk!) if I wipe her bottom after she strains the tissue has poo coloured water on it :( (sorry for graphic description). I've taken away her dry food and just let her eat some poached chicken and rice - is there anything else I can do for her? Also any suggestions on bum cleaning as she is tailless and quite sensitive down there - I've just been dabbing with soft tissues and warm paper towels but if anyone has a better suggestion it would be appreciated . Thanks!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

overwhelmed2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are not sure if she is a Manx or had her tail amputated as I didn't get her until she was 7 years old. I will call the vet today, problem is she gets VERY car sick and I don't want to upset her a stomach more than it already is.....

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
! Please do NOT give her any anti-diarrheal products for humans!

Good thorough brushing at least once daily is the single best way to keep tangling tendencies under control.  Getting the shed hairs out from the coat makes a big difference.  Bathing also helps to remove shed hairs.  But never brush her perianal area, nor her ears.

For detangling, you can use on your fingertips, just a drop or so at a time, typical baby oil (the thin consistency mineral oil with scent as its only additive).  Work it through her tangles and detangle as well as you can with your lightly oiled fingers, then a comb.  Then wash it away with kitty shampoo and rinse well.

For really bad tangling, you might use human type detangler products with silicone ingredients (these ingredients usually have the suffix  "-cone").  When you have resolved the tangles, shampoo it out and rinse well.  For true matting, I would use the detangler product Cowboy Magic.

For butt area cleaning between baths, use something damp-to-wet and textured, like a terrycloth washcloth or some ripply textured paper towels.  She may be more comfortable with you working from her backside, or she may be more comfortable being turned chest-upward when you are cleaning her that way.

Her Veterinarian can recommend something to help her with motion sickness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

overwhelmed2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks but I had absolutely no intention of giving her any kind of human medication. Since I posted we've been to the vet as I noticed she was also straining to pee - vet doesn't think it was the olive oil but something she probably had brewing anyway. She was given a shot of anti inflammatory and some antibiotics to take at home and she seems much more comfortable now - even had a proper pee:clap:. Vet very nicely also shaved out that matt (she only had the one). Hopefully she'll be right as rain in a couple of days. Thanks!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good job!  Glad she's feeling a bit better.  Keep an eye on her and if you notice her avoiding the box, call the vet and explain what's going on.  Also, you can try Cat Attract litter to help get her using the box again.  I was thinking that the olive oil would cause loose stools, if anything.