Upset Stomach

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my furry babies has had an upset stomach since Friday. He pooped a lot of mucus yesterday and threw up the can I gave him. When I woke up this morning, he had pooped all over the house, and he's been crying all morning. I think I might know what the culprit is. Friday he ate two cans (without me knowing) instead of his usual one. One of which had medicine in it (joint supplement medicine, nothing serious). He got sick right after that.

My aunt says that is likely it, and I should lay off the cans for a few days. Just wanted to get more opinions on the matter. I would love to take him to the vet, but I live in a small town with maybe two vet offices, both of which are closed until Tuesday.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feed him bland food, boiled chicken and make sure he is drinking plenty of water. Has he been wanting to eat? Has his behavior changed, is he hiding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feed him bland food, boiled chicken and make sure he is drinking plenty of water. Has he been wanting to eat? Has his behavior changed, is he hiding
He was hiding a lot yesterday. He is actually eating some dry food right now and was taking a nap on top of the bed earlier. He has always been a loud cat (meows all the time), they just seems a little more... sad today.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep an eye on him but make sure he is drinking plenty of water especially if he is eating dry food. If it's the meds then they should have cleared his system in 48 hours although I'm surprised he had such a strong reaction to a joint supplement.

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep an eye on him but make sure he is drinking plenty of water especially if he is eating dry food. If it's the meds then they should have cleared his system in 48 hours although I'm surprised he had such a strong reaction to a joint supplement.
Thank you for the advice. I will definitely keep an eye on him. He has gone back to taking a nap. He likes drinking out of the facet, so I will keep that running to encourage him to drink more.

czuva

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I doubt the food upset his stomach. He might've accidentally ingested something else (food scraps, bacteria from the floor, a toxic bug, etc).

Hiding, vomiting, diarrhea, and refusing the usual amount of food are bad signs. My cat went through something similar recently and needed to be hospitalized for 24hrs to get fluids and inflammation-reducing meds after outpatient care (anti-nausea and subcutaneous fluids) didn't work. We're still not sure what caused it.

Call or take to your vet as soon as they open again since it's holiday weekend. If he gets worse before then (more vomiting, diarrhea, refusing even dry food), go to emergency vet.

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I doubt the food upset his stomach. He might've accidentally ingested something else (food scraps, bacteria from the floor, a toxic bug, etc).

Hiding, vomiting, diarrhea, and refusing the usual amount of food are bad signs. My cat went through something similar recently and needed to be hospitalized for 24hrs to get fluids and inflammation-reducing meds after outpatient care (anti-nausea and subcutaneous fluids) didn't work. We're still not sure what caused it.

Call or take to your vet as soon as they open again since it's holiday weekend. If he gets worse before then (more vomiting, diarrhea, refusing even dry food), go to emergency vet.
Oh dear. Sorry to hear about your ordeal with your furry baby. I bet that was scary. Glad to hear they are doing better now.

If he is not better in the morning, I'm going to drive him to an out of town emergency vet.