Upper Respiratory Virus

Millie27a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help. One of my cats, Moses, started showing symptoms at the start of December. Third eyelid halfway across his eye, a few wobbles and more lethargic than usual. After two trips to the vets, including bloods, the vet diagnosed him with a brain disorder (either cancer or a tumour) and half recommended that I had him pts however, I felt unable to do this whilst he was still relatively comfortable, eating and wanting to go outside. He was given steroids at this point to reduce any swelling in his brain!

Three weeks later, my second cat Lord Winnie, two years in age, presented in exactly the same fashion. He too went to the vets (a different one I hasten to add) and was diagnosed with a uri, after listening to his throat (something the previous vet had not done). I was told that he had probably caught this from my other cat.

I am so thankful that I had not had Moses pts. Can you imagine? I am weaning him off his steroids as he needs his immune system working right now, as opposed to it being suppressed! I feel a little angry that my first vet got this diagnosis so wrong and actually prescribed him medication that is possibly preventing him from getting better.

Do any of you have experience of a cat with a uri? Do the eyes go back to normal after a certain amount of time? Both cats are eating and playing well! Is it just a waiting game or there anything I can do to speed up recovery? I have been told it can take up to 8weeks ?
Many thanks

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, just wow...I'm absolutely perplexed that a URI was misdiagnosed with a brain issue..... :eek2: :mad:
SO glad you followed your instincts....

A virus does need to just run it's course but you can do some things to help with the symptoms.
You could contact your vet (THE SECOND ONE!!!:thumbsup:) And ask if they would be willing to give you an eye drop for the eye irritation, that may help with some discomfort. Are the eyes goopy with thick or green discharge? If so, a secondary infection may have set in so an antibiotic eye drop would be better suited, but you would have to ask your vet.
Also continue to keep their eyes clean. Just gently wipe from the inside corner to the outside corner with a clean damp soft cloth or cotton pad.
They are eating and playing so that's great news. But if you notice any sinus congestion or that they are not eating as much, it could be that they can't smell as well. Cats need to smell their food for them to want to eat it. So you can bring them into the bathroom for 15/20 minutes a couple times a day while having the hot water running, creating a steam room to clear up the nasal passages. Be sure to stay in there with them so they don't get curious with the hot shower.
Try to increase their water intake, if they only eat dry food, I would recommend switching to or at least adding wet food to their diet. If they do eat wet food, you can add a bit of water to each feeding.
Slightly warming the wet food can help them smell their food better too. If you microwave it, it only takes a few seconds and be sure to stir well to remove any hot spots that can burn them. You can also set the can in a dish of warm water or simply use a teaspoon of hot water and mix well. As it mixes, it warms the food and adds the moisture.
You could also get a water fountain, this tends to help encourage cats to drink more, especially if they only eat dry food.
Try your best to keep your home humidity level up, and do a little extra dust and allergen control to help with irritation of the eyes and nasal passageways.

I might be missing some stuff, so if I think of it, I'll come back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Millie27a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Jem.
I too am thankful that my second cat went to a different vet and that I knew my cat better than the first one. Lots of people have said I should report her as it may save another cats life. Thankfully no harm was done on this occasion, apart from a months worth of worry and, in a way, it was a good thing that the second cat got the virus or I wud still be popping steroids into Moses 😭
Great advice 👌
I have been wiping their eyes and noses, although they do not have a lot of discharge from these areas. They are more snuffly and sneezy and just a bit “not quite themselves”! It is more the third eyelid which is a mystery but guess that will pop back into place when they are feeling better? They are having no difficulties with their appetites at the moment, eating both wet and dry food.
I shall certainly try the warm steam and drinking fountain ideas tho as well as trying to increase home humidity. Thank u for your help 🙌

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say the third eyelid is showing, do they also squint a bit? If that is the case, they are probably irritated and may need some artificial tears. But yes, the third eye lid should go back to normal once their eyes are no longer irritated.

Millie27a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They don’t seem to be squinting no. Pic attached (you may have to zoom in). Basically, both my cats have gone a bit x-eyed 🙈
4A1089D7-2F2C-44BB-B78F-D19CC8A16897.jpeg
4A1089D7-2F2C-44BB-B78F-D19CC8A16897.jpeg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I'm glad you joined the site and came here for support. Jem Jem gave you some good advice. When we adopted our last cat, she developed a URI within four days after bringing her home and it was so severe we ended up having to bring her to the vet for nebulizer treatments which really helped. Here is an Article that discusses the herpes virus in cats which you might find helpful:
Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis – Cat Articles

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the good news, they don't look "angry", all red and swollen and such. But I think I would e-mail the vet and ask if some artificial tears would help. Having the third eye lid showing like that, especially if it's all the time, would (I think) be bothersome as it would be more susceptible to drying out and getting irritated.

I also wanted to add one more thing. Stress is something that can prolong and even cause flair ups of URIs so spoil them as much as you can (as long as you don't get on their nerves, lol!) And try to limit anything that you know causes any distress to them. It goes without saying that that is good practice all the time anyway! ;) :hugs: :catrub:

Millie27a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your kind responses. It is really putting my mind at rest that this is something we all have to ride out together and that time will heal.
This is great progress already from a month ago when I was convinced one was dying from brain cancer and the other had contracted some fatal disease.
The vets did not seem too concerned about the lid showing and, in fairness, they do draw back when more alert. I shall call them tomoro to enquire about artificial tears tho.
I do not believe I am doing anything to add to their stress, both stay in during the day at the moment, and I even heat the house, when I am not here, so they have warmth 🤣 my boys are my main priority and they always come first.
thank you so much once again for your kindness. I shall let you know how they get on!

Millie27a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, although I am pretty convinced that it is not Feline Herpes. From what I’ve read it seems to give the cat a fever and cause discharge from the eyes? Neither of my boys have a temperature and nor do they have excess amounts of discharge. Just the odd sneeze now and then.
I’m hoping that they will continue to improve 🤞as the days go by. They are both eating well, just a little bit muh 🥴

Millie27a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. Thank you. I shall discuss with my vet when I speak to them next 👌

Millie27a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, just an update on Moses. This last week he seemed to be improving. Third eyelid going back from across the eye to normal position and playing like a kitten again.
Tonight however, he came in and tried to eat. He is swallowing hard and didn’t consume hardly anything 😭 could this now be a
Sore throat? I have been in turmoil for the
Last 5weeks on and off. Surely a uri cannot go on for this long?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very possible that it's continuing. If he has herpes, it's very possible. I would get a second opinion from a different vet.

Millie27a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Stephanie.
Thank you for your kind response. We have been to the vets this morning and he does indeed have a sore throat. Vet thought it to be uri related and prescribed metacam once a day.
Will see how we get on 🤞

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am surprised the vet prescribed Metacam, which is a pain med. (And has very mixed reviews on usage.) Sore throats are usually caused by post nasal drip, just like in humans. Did you try a daily antihistamine to help with the drainage?

Millie27a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
So the hard Swallowing episode has now stopped and I have stopped the metacam.
I just wondered if anyone could let me know how long I can expect my cats to be like this, if it is herpes virus?
Thank you for all your help

Millie27a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neither of my cats are getting any worse, which is good, but neither are getting better very quickly. I tried the steam bathroom trick yesterday with Winnie and he purred so loudly I’m sure it was helping. Moses eyes look so slightly better. I just wondered if anyone had any info on how long this could potentially go on for? The vets do not seem too concerned about their symptoms and said it could take up to 8 weeks. We are only up to 6 at the moment. I am sure they think I am worrying about nothing, which I probably am. Do I just wait it out?
Both cats are eating and playing, they are probably about 75% of their usual selves.

Millie27a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear All,
I felt I had to post as I am sat here in tears.
Neither of my boys are getting better. Moses has had another seizure and Winnie is now showing neurological signs which makes me suspect FIP, although neither of them had a fever at the vets this morning. I am currently awaiting blood test results from them both.
I don’t know what to do with myself. I can’t eat or sleep and feel so down. Moses is an old lad so I can come to terms with it slightly more but Winnie is just a boy, he will turn three in March. Why is life so cruel ?