Upper respiratory infections

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our cats has been diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. She does get like this once or twice a year....runny nose, sneezing, cough, and raspy breathing. She eats and drinks And seems fine otherwise. She's 10. We have six other cats, none have any of these symptoms.

She had an antibiotic in the fall, but now the vet says I should just treat with L-Lysine because it's likely viral. They told me A URI test would cost $250.

Does lysine work? Are there any other treatments I could try, or should I take her in for the test?

Thanks in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply and the links. Very helpful. We've used L-Lysine in the past and I never felt like it worked. Eventually she does get better but I hate to see her suffer during the bout. There isn't a lot of stress, she does get a long with the other cats. I might try a humidifier and more wet food. But this bout is about 2 weeks, so if she does improve over the weekend, I'm going to take her to the vet on Monday.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for your reply and the links. Very helpful. But this bout is about 2 weeks, so if she does improve over the weekend, I'm going to take her to the vet on Monday.
I'm guessing you meant, if she does "not" improve. ;) I agree with you, definitely contact your vet. The sooner the better because if your vet is like mine they are only treating emergencies, pets that require more serious medical treatment, no wellness checks, etc. due to Covid-19. I wish you the best, please keep us posted on your cat's progress.:alright:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a daily antihistamine? We give our kitty a daily dose of Loratadine, half a tablet once a day.

Oysterbay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lysine works only at high doses. It's dose dependent so a bad URI will require more than you think. You'll find dose recommendations from Jean Hofve on her website Little Big Cat. For something stronger and faster-acting, try citricidal which is available on Amazon. It sanitizes our felines from the inside. Wish I'd found it sooner! Well wishes from me and my twelve year old kitty Chairman Meow.