Upper Respiratory Infection

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve got a house full of cats and I’m not sure how I can keep illness from spreading now that it’s here.
We’ve got four adult cats, two older kittens I’m watching for a friend, and two groups of seven-eight week old kittens. (A group of three and a group of four)
Two (one from the group of three, one from the group of four) of the kittens are starting to show signs of uri. Runny eyes, stuffy nose, sneezing. They’re eating sand drinking well and I’ve contacted my organization about it already. While I’m waiting to hear back from them, what exactly should I do?
The others have not yet shown any signs, but I’ll keep watching for it.
Usually all the kittens are in a room away from my own pets. Although I have been letting them out to explore and meet the dogs when I’m there to supervise.
They had a period where each group was quarantined, then introduced, currently all kittens are together and have been for a while. I’m not sure how to separate them again.
The pen I used before is being cleaned, I could probably find the dog crates I used to use.
And where do I even start with cleaning?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! How are things? Did you utilize the dog crates?

What did you decide to do regarding cleaning?

By the way, can you put the stuffy nosed ones in a bathroom with a steamy shower for 10-12 minutes a couple times a day, that should help their airways. Are they still eating?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you fostering? If so, ask the vet to prescribe saline and whatever medication is needed for a nebulizer. My vet loaned me one last week. Put the kittens in a carrier, hang the nebulizer on the side (in one of the slots in the carrier) and cover all with a couple of towels. It works quickly and wonderfully in a few days of twice daily treatments for 15 minutes. If not, do the steam treatment like mentioned above, just make sure there is no hot water for the kittens to get into.
It is not unusual at all for kittens to get 'kitty colds', almost all do at one point. Most vets prescribe eye ointment that really helps. Pull gently down on the lower eyelid until it forms a pocket. Then apply a small ribbon of ointment in that pocket. Most colds are viral so need to run their course, if any eye/nose discharge turns yellow, white or green, then it has turned into a secondary bacterial infection and the kitten will need antibiotics. Good luck, and bless you for caring for these babies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I haven't been on. The shelter gave me some Clavamox and instructions on how to medicate the kittens and the symptoms disappeared completely after a couple of days.
I'll be giving their last dose this Saturday.