Updated Cat-kitten Integration

12rmfoster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
here was the last post summed up:
So long story short: We found a kitten and decided to rescue her. We already have an adult cat (Azhara, 3 years old), who is timid and quiet but loves to play.
The new kitten (Nira) is obviously rambunctious and we started the kitten in our bedroom (we have an apartment so no spare rooms).

We wanted to slowly integrate her, but Azhara is incessant on wanting to be in our bedroom and clawing at the door. So we moved her to the bathroom.

UPDATE:

Azhara has now stopped eating, which Is super bizarre for her because she normally could eat until the cows come home. She slept most of today and won’t eat her dinner (canned, warmed up cat food.)

Is it vet time?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically, it was vet time for the kitten before you brought her home. Take the kitten asap.

As far as your older cat not eating, thats most likely stress and not a vet issue, so you can give it some time. Honestly, I'm a little discouraged to see that much stress this early in the process, but: (1) lets get the kitten cleared by a vet; and (2) try a full introduction process, as best you can, and report how it goes. How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically, it was vet time for the kitten before you brought her home. Take the kitten asap.

As far as your older cat not eating, thats most likely stress and not a vet issue, so you can give it some time. Honestly, I'm a little discouraged to see that much stress this early in the process, but: (1) lets get the kitten cleared by a vet; and (2) try a full introduction process, as best you can, and report how it goes. How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
A ArtNJ - Nira - 1 12rmfoster 's kitten - was cleared by her veterinarian her first day; here's the original thread:

Cat And Kitten Introductio

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

12rmfoster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I solved where the issue is stemming from, my partner (while I was at work and forgot to mention to me) gave Azhara a “composure” treats to help with azhara’s anxiety

Thanks for everyone’s replies, she’s eaten a little bit now and the lethargy might have been the composure. I’ll monitor her, but I think there is less to worry about now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

12rmfoster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. So it seems unclear to me if this is stress having read the prior thread. But has it only been a day or two of lethargy/not eating?
Yes Nira was checked out and cleared. I replied here explaining where I think this sudden lethargy and loss of appetite came from. But If it continues I’ll take her to the vet immediately. Thank you for you help:)

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I solved where the issue is stemming from, my partner (while I was at work and forgot to mention to me) gave Azhara a “composure” treats to help with azhara’s anxiety

Thanks for everyone’s replies, she’s eaten a little bit now and the lethargy might have been the composure. I’ll monitor her, but I think there is less to worry about now.
Oh good! I’m glad it isn’t anything scary!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
she’s eaten a little bit now and the lethargy might have been the composure. I’ll monitor her,
Thank goodness she's eaten, but wow, I must say that seems a rather dramatic reaction for just a calming treat.
Keeping my fingers crossed - let us know what happens!