Update on the spay; they are under the knife right now...

happyviking

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took in both of my kittens this morning, and I suspect they are undergoing surgery right now. Hopefully one is done by now. I'll be calling in a couple of hours to find out how it went.
The vet checked Jasmine's tummy (she is 5mo) and he could not find a palpatable pregnancy, is what he said. So hopefully she was never pregnant at all. We'll see what he says after her surgery; I felt so sure that she was pregnant, but I'll be glad if I'm wrong. They will both be spayed now, anyway.
I feel so bad, I hope they will be OK. I wish I could do the surgery right here at home.... They were both quite calm on the way to the vet, resting neck into neck with eachother and Jasmine grooming Senja. I decided to take them in the same carrier versus one each, because Jasmine has a calming effect on little frantic Senja. On Thursday, the first try to get them spayed (the vet got sick so he couldn't do it) Senja was crying a bit in the car on the way over, until Jasmine wrapped her paws around her and started licking her. That calmed Senja way down, and she started really leaning against Jasmine, like she couldn't get close enough.
When I call in a little while, I'm going to suggest that they put the cats together as soon as they are awake and OK. I think it'll really help Senja out. Jasmine is a very calm cat and tolerates alot of treatment (not bad treatment, but bloodwork and such), so I think she'll be OK. It's Senja I worry about.
I just had to get out my thoughts.

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you decided when your picking them up? Sending good vibes to your kitties!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyviking

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by STLGRL5

Have you decided when your picking them up? Sending good vibes to your kitties!!
Thank's!
I will pick them up tomorrow at 4PM. I would have picked them up later today if I could have, but the rule at this office is to leave them there for 24 hours. That'll make it Sunday, and they are not open on Sundays, but my friend who works there will let me get them at 4. I guess I could have insisted to get them earlier, but I don't want to argue with them since I already have them in there on "mercy". They just squeezed them in for me. The vet is still not feeling great, and I'm just thankful that he still came in to do it.
One thing I have not liked about this office is that the vet is not very approchable. He will answer if you have a quesion, but will never alaborate (sp?) on anything, just tell you shortly what you need to know and that's it. I end up feeling stupid because of all my questions and concerns, like I'm hyper and overworrying etc. And I admit that I have been more concerned reagarding these kitties than what many people would be, but I don't want them to pass for "just another cat". I care about them and I want to make sure everything possible is done to make them feel comfortable and calm.
I've been considering swiching vet because I find it difficult to communicate with them, and it's a 35 min. drive one way, but they are quite a bit less expensive and he is a good vet. Just not a good communicator.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never feel uncomfortable about asking questions.
You are your kitties only advocate. You are their spokesperson.

If you are not fully informed...how can you make the best decisions for them about a treatment, food and everything else that goes with being a loving cat Mama?

After Senja & Jasmine are fully recovered from their spay...if you still feel uncomfortable with your current vet, check around for a vet with a staff & techs who are willing to answer "all" of your concerns. Communication is critical.

At TCS, we all feel the way you do about our kitties.
Remember, the next time you talk to your vet, we will be with you in spirit.
You are not alone anymore.

Senja & Jasmine will be in my prayers for a quick & uneventful recovery..

Please update about how they are doing.

Originally Posted by HappyViking

I admit that I have been more concerned reagarding these kitties than what many people would be, but I don't want them to pass for "just another cat". I care about them and I want to make sure everything possible is done to make them feel comfortable and calm.
I've been considering swiching vet because I find it difficult to communicate with them, and it's a 35 min. drive one way, but they are quite a bit less expensive and he is a good vet. Just not a good communicator.

happyviking

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Never feel uncomfortable about asking questions.
You are your kitties only advocate. You are their spokesperson.

If you are not fully informed...how can you make the best decisions for them about a treatment, food and everything else that goes with being a loving cat Mama?

After Senja & Jasmine are fully recovered from their spay...if you still feel uncomfortable with your current vet, check around for a vet with a staff & techs who are willing to answer "all" of your concerns. Communication is critical.

At TCS, we all feel the way you do about our kitties.
Remember, the next time you talk to your vet, we will be with you in spirit.
You are not alone anymore.

Senja & Jasmine will be in my prayers for a quick & uneventful recovery..

Please update about how they are doing.
Thank you so much, it's so good to have somebody who understands!
I just called, and was told that Jasmine is awake and starting to walk around, and Senja is still asleep. She said surgery went just fine and that Jasmine was not pregnant. Good to know!!! Glad I was wrong about this!
This is all I know, the lady I spoke with said they are very busy right now, so this is all she had time to tell me. In a while, I'll call back and ask if they can put them together when Senja is awake and if they seem up for it. I also hope for a little better update; I would love for them to tell me alittle bit about how everything went, not just "it went just fine" KWIM?
I would so like to have been there with them right now, and knowing so little about what's going on is not helping it for me.
At least I know the procedure has been done, now Senja needs to wake up and both recover.
Is it normal for them to eat at all the same day of surgery, or the day after? I did bring with them a bag of their food, just in case.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I certainly feel for you today, as Serenity is still going through her healing process. She wanted nothing to eat the day of the procedure, and would barely touch her food the following day either. Your babies will be up and running around happy and healthy in no time at all!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOO HOO!!! Not pregnant
I'm glad for you, but happier for Jasmine

Blaze was spayed on Halloween and wouldn't touch any food that day.She did drink some water later that night.The next day, she was eating and drinking like she normally does. She didn't use the litter box at all the first day either.
(I took her in to the Vet at 7:30 am and picked her up at 3 that day.)Make sure to keep them as quiet as you can though.No running and romping for a few days.

happyviking

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad too, that she's not pregnant!!! So I'm thinking maybe her extra sweetness is part of her personality and may continue??? I so look forward to getting them home again!
I called again, and Senja is awake now. They are both doing well, is what I was told. But they are sure quick to want to hang up with me again! Frustrating! I was able to sqeeze in that I wanted them together if possible, and with my shirt that I brought along for a familiar scent for comfort, and she took note of that and will do it, I think.
The office is closed now, so hopefully they'll get some good rest.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww...I know that you miss your sweet kitties.

I will keep them in my prayers.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it just feels great to be wrong!
I'm happy for all of you. And regardless of what the situation had been, you definitely made a very smart decision.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few more hours and you can get your babies
I bet you can't wait.

I'm so happy for you and Jasmine that she wan't pg. And as others here have said......you made the right choice having her spayed. After she's healed, she'll be the lovable kitty that you had before.
Give them a gentle hug from me and pat yourself on the back for a job WELL done!!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I suppose it's too early for an update, but let us know how they're both doing once you get them home. Lots of times the vet's assistants aren't supposed to give more than general information out on the phone, as the person manning the phones might not have been involved in the operation or treatment, and the vet might be too busy to do so.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that is good news. Just follow your instincts on the vet. Of course, the most important thing is that he is a good medical person, and takes good care of your babies. However, if his manner is so curt that you are not fully educated about their aftercare, how can you provide the proper recovery?

Or if he doesn't listen to all your concerns, what if you want to list 10 concerns, and he only listens to 5, and misses something important?

Being a little old fashioned and more focused of the care of the kitty than the owner is fine. Failure to communicate with owners is not so fine. By the time you are through with this spay, you will probably know if you want to stick with this vet!

happyviking

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're home!!!!!!!!

I went in and my friend met me right at 4 PM. She let me come in to the back to see them, and they were both sleeping. Immediately, 3 dogs started barking loudly, and my cats didn't seem to like that at all, and it just made me feel like I was doing the right thing by getting them. Appearantly they start barking whenever people come, othewise they are quiet for the most part.
When I went to my kittens, they got up and cuddled my hand, then we took them out to the waiting area, sat down for a while and went over the things I need to watch out for etc. We just sat there and cuddled a little while. Senja seemed OK, while Jasmine had these huge eyes like she wasn't happy at all.
During the ride home, she started relaxing and when I got home with them they went right ahead to sniff and check things out again. Jasmine went straight for the food bowl. They seem very good and relaxed, and definitely on the go a bit. I chose not to give them pain medication, because it is very hard in our house to keep them confined with no areas to jump. So I wanted them to be forced to stay still if that's what they needed. But they are quite active already. Not running around chasing eachother, but walking around alot. The kids have been clearly instructed to not pick them up and not playing with them. I don't want them stimulated to move, only if they choose to. Jasmine has jumped up on the fish tank twice already...

The woonds are a little longer than I expected, and right in the middle of the belly. They look very clean and dry, not swollen or red or anything. They have stiches that need to be removed in a week - 10 days.
They do seem a bit restless, and Senja is a little skittish, but otherwise they both seem to be very happy to be at home again, and none of them seem to hate us or anything... No grudges, I don't think!

They also seem very skinny or sunken in in the belly area toward the back, but I think it might just be that their intestines are empty from not having hardly eaten in a couple of days????
Anyway, I feel so happy and relaxed myself, finally! I've been so uptight about this whole ordeal, but now it's done and "over with" and they are home where they belong!

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappyViking

We're home!!!!!!!!

I went in and my friend met me right at 4 PM. She let me come in to the back to see them, and they were both sleeping. Immediately, 3 dogs started barking loudly, and my cats didn't seem to like that at all, and it just made me feel like I was doing the right thing by getting them. Appearantly they start barking whenever people come, othewise they are quiet for the most part.
When I went to my kittens, they got up and cuddled my hand, then we took them out to the waiting area, sat down for a while and went over the things I need to watch out for etc. We just sat there and cuddled a little while. Senja seemed OK, while Jasmine had these huge eyes like she wasn't happy at all.
During the ride home, she started relaxing and when I got home with them they went right ahead to sniff and check things out again. Jasmine went straight for the food bowl. They seem very good and relaxed, and definitely on the go a bit. I chose not to give them pain medication, because it is very hard in our house to keep them confined with no areas to jump. So I wanted them to be forced to stay still if that's what they needed. But they are quite active already. Not running around chasing eachother, but walking around alot. The kids have been clearly instructed to not pick them up and not playing with them. I don't want them stimulated to move, only if they choose to. Jasmine has jumped up on the fish tank twice already...

The woonds are a little longer than I expected, and right in the middle of the belly. They look very clean and dry, not swollen or red or anything. They have stiches that need to be removed in a week - 10 days.
They do seem a bit restless, and Senja is a little skittish, but otherwise they both seem to be very happy to be at home again, and none of them seem to hate us or anything... No grudges, I don't think!

They also seem very skinny or sunken in in the belly area toward the back, but I think it might just be that their intestines are empty from not having hardly eaten in a couple of days????
Anyway, I feel so happy and relaxed myself, finally! I've been so uptight about this whole ordeal, but now it's done and "over with" and they are home where they belong!
Good to hear they're doing so well. The sunken spot is where the uterus used to be.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like everything is going smoothly. Glad you have your babies home with you - it's a great relief I know.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad that sweet Jasmine & Senja are recovering well & are home.