Update on the kitty with no claws

menou lover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After taming Smoky enough to get a hold of her, we took her to the vet and got all her shots and a clean bill of health. 

We believe her to be a Russian Blue because of her makings and color, she has no front claws, and is fixed happy smiles!

She is living upstairs in our spare bedroom right now.  We have 6 other cats in the house WITH CLAWS.  She is really mean to them, I would think she is frightened and her only way to keep them at bay is to hiss at them and try to claw them.   Then my cats try to defend themselves and I am terribly afraid she will get hurt.

Summer is coming and upstairs can get into the 3 digit temps.  I am not sure what to do with her now.  We have been trying really hard to find her a new home with no other pets, but no luck as of yet. 

I am not new at having cats or introducing them into a new environment, you can't push them on to each other, it takes a while for cats to get to know each other and there are no guarantees that in the end it will work out.

Remember this cat does not have claws.

I am at my witts end.  Anyone have any ideas what to do? 

Menou Lover

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We believe her to be a Russian Blue because of her makings and color, ..., and is fixed happy smiles!
Do you have good photos of her?  You can post them in the Describing Cats Forum... With a link from here.   :)

About the stress. Had you tried with Feliway diffuser?  Calming classic music?

Good luck!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine tried to escape so hard from the trap that she had no claws at all in her as she clawed trap so hard that all of them broke off, blood in her paws, also at her forehead and nose as she attempted to ram trough the trap, she did get some kind of panic attack from trap closing and no escape.

However my hand has currently lot of red stripes in it as we did play with straw and she did get bit over exited and clawed my hand instead of straw, it does not hurt really, but leaves tiny red markings, all worth it for sure.

So, it can be that claws will grow back, but it will take several weeks and cat is perhaps bit more scared than usual during that time as missing one of the main defense tools. However damage can be such that claws are not growing back, but I don't know if that is common from such.

I think that mine got broken nose from that as her nose is not as smooth as before, two lines from tip of nose to top corners of eyes are not straight, but there is bit of imperfections in them, while rest have those two lines perfectly straight. I have thought if there would of been something that I could of done to that, but I guess it is something that could not be avoided when trapping.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, JTbo, the cat has been surgically de-clawed (illegal in your country, thankfully), so her claws won't come back :(.

Anyway, cats don't normally fight other cats with their front claws. I have a LOT of cats, only one is de-clawed, and he does fine. My mom has 6 cats, one de-clawed, and she does fine as well (actually, she beats up the other cats. . .:tongue2:). I don't believe claw status makes any difference in inter-cat relationships. (Claws do make a big difference with dogs, or trying to escape predators outside, but not other cats). She may feel more insecure because of having no claws, but don't worry about the other cats hurting her.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, JTbo, the cat has been surgically de-clawed (illegal in your country, thankfully), so her claws won't come back :(.

Anyway, cats don't normally fight other cats with their front claws. I have a LOT of cats, only one is de-clawed, and he does fine. My mom has 6 cats, one de-clawed, and she does fine as well (actually, she beats up the other cats. . .:tongue2:). I don't believe claw status makes any difference in inter-cat relationships. (Claws do make a big difference with dogs, or trying to escape predators outside, but not other cats). She may feel more insecure because of having no claws, but don't worry about the other cats hurting her.
Oeh, noes, poor kitty! :(

Yeah such is illegal here, I think also any tail alterations for cats and dogs are too, not sure about that, but we have relatively good laws for animal well being.

My gang seem to prefefer clawing to top of head of each other, wrestling another one down and holding other with front paw claws in locked position, then kicking wildly to head, I can hear claws making noise to skin. Luckily it is lot less now as all are fixed, but they still have their battles of who is master of tower where whacking with front paw claws extracted is preferred choice.

Also they seem to like to use front paws like hands, testing if what they see is true, there is a treat at front of nose, method of grabbing toys is also like forming a cup from paw and extracting claws, then scooping like one would scoop water from pond.

Cat tree that is tower I mentioned is also place where they like to use front claws to drag rest of body around the pole often resulting cat hanging in air holding with one paw only from the pole and swinging tail and rest of paws wildly in air in attempt of preventing felling down to table, whole 5 inches that is.

Mostly it is front paws in use, much less of mouth or rear claws, which are mostly used in jumping and rarely kicking other one to head in rapid motion. Of course these are indoors fully.

I remember also how Mauku was shy after claws were gone, but as she got them back she made sure other ones learned some manners, by clawing top of their head really fast, they learned then how taking toy from other ones mouth is bad, or how there are turns in eating and how painful it is to steal food from other ones mouth etc. silly things that young cats will do until they learn cat behavior code.

Also she now uses claws on me, maybe partly on purpose as I am pushing her a bit so she learns touching is not bad thing and she has learned to love some petting at times, but sometimes it is lot of clawing too, sometimes missing straw which I think is on purpose. We have certain agreement with her though and she is quite fond of me already.

So I don't know how important claws really are, they just seem to use them a lot here, not very hard, but as making the point kind of way.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I agree there's a lot of slapping :lol3:, but facial scratches are rare, and seem accidental when they do happen. Trimming the clawed cats' claws will prevent that kind of damage. I just have personally found that there's not much (claw-related) to worry about when introducing de-clawed cats to clawed cats :dk:.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I agree there's a lot of slapping :lol3:, but facial scratches are rare, and seem accidental when they do happen. Trimming the clawed cats' claws will prevent that kind of damage. I just have personally found that there's not much (claw-related) to worry about when introducing de-clawed cats to clawed cats :dk:.
Yeah, they don't really hurt each other, when making a kill I have seen them doing kind of pulling motion in addition to slapping, that is missing when they do that social slapping or how one should call it.

Before two young boys were fixed there were few occasions where fur was flying and also there were tiny spots that had bled a tiny bit, but nothing really serious as they did found out how two legged monster did hug so much that there was no escape if there was too rough fighting.

abisiobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
BI think the old towel trick should work just as well even though she has no claws. Unless she has behaviour issues due the declawing -which some cats do - but I have seen declawed kitties (poor babies -how anyone can do that I do NOT understand?) hold their own and gradually get along. And I think the operative term is gradual. She should Yacc her space and become adjusted and if you take toys used by he other cats and rub a couple towels around them and bring them to her woo she adjusts to the smell, that will assist her in accepting that aroma as part of her territory. Do the same thing with the other cats - take the towels or any material really (for some reason I have tended toward towels or fleece) - and toys and hive them to the cats so they adjust to her. Give them all time. Let them sniff her so they know she's there tho I expect they have figured that much out now. :-) Keep it up until you tho k you can see how a few - 2 with her maybe in the alpha Kitty if one exists. and see how that goes. Slow and steady winds wins this case :-) I hope!! Good luck!!!

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have found a stray outside (or the cat found me I should say).  I feed all the stray/ferals around my house and believe me there are many, but I can tell this one is a stray and a recent addition.  It only comes out early in the morning (when still dark) and at dusk.  It meows at me all the time and tries to wrap itself around my legs and even it's arms around my legs.  I don't think it has any front claws.  It lets me pet it, but it is so scared or desperate to be in a house it gets very agitated like it's really trying to tell me "help".  It also nipped at my pant leg and I thought that was strange, but cats do strange things.  I am thinking about bringing it in because there are lots of coons around here and they have killed many cats as well.  It looks healthy and I haven't checked it's sex  yet, but am going to next time I see it.  My concern is I have 3 cats and 2 already don't get along too well, but they manage to live together all right and I think that's because there are only 3 of them.  I also have 4 dogs and 2 are quite old (both over 15).  Does anyone think this would be bad for my other pets - especially the older ones because they hate change and are after all quite old.  I also have concerns about what if this doesn't work out.  The animal laws in my state are very weak and there are no no-kill shelters around here that can take in anymore cats.  And there is only one of them that I even know of.  People in my area do not treat animals very well and often abandon them.  So trying to find it a home could be a real problem too.  I could just keep feeding it, but I am so concerned something will happen to it.  The ferals are adapted to the outdoors, but not the stray ones.  Anyway any advice or suggestions?

helen drye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a cat with no claws and it only took 3days with new kitten with claws and they became best friends