Update On Roscoe, My 16 Year Old

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who was so helpful to me about Roscoe. As a refresher, he was diagnosed with CHF a couple of months ago. Before then, he was not letting me sleep - kept waking me up every couple of hours to feed him.

What's happened now is that his glucose was elevated so I put him on Glycobalance canned food. I ended up separating him in my spare bathroom to make sure he ate what he was supposed to. Keeping him separated when I'm sleeping has worked out well.

For the CHF, he has been on Enalapril 2.5mg a day and 6.25mg of Lasix as needed. I was giving him the Lasix every other day but his breathing has increased so I increased the frequency to 6.25mg every day starting yesterday. His kidney levels have been fair - BUN elevated but Creat normal range. If his breathing doesn't get better, I will take him back in to get checked out but I'm wondering about other cats' Lasix dose. He is just over 7 pounds and I read somewhere that a "standard" dose is 1-2mg/pound for cats and dogs but cats usually on the lower end.

Anyone else have a cat around the same weight on Lasix? How high of a dose did you give? I worry about him but don't want to fret all the time. He's 16 and seems so fragile, though.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad TCS was able to help you with Roscoe. :kitty: Unfortunately I do not have personal experience with dosing a cat on Lasix. Perhaps other members will be able to weigh in and offer their support. Sending special thoughts and healing vibes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
According to my Plumb's Veterinary Handbook, 8th ed., heart failure lasix doses can vary from 1 mg/kg every 2-3 days to 2 mg/kg every 8-12 hours, even up to 7 mg/kg every 12 hours. 1 kg = 2.2 lbs, so that high dose is 3.2 mg/lb every 12 hours, so you are certainly not at the high end of usual dosing. Just do give your vet a call, he might want to do add another drug or check his electrolytes. In humans, lasix can cause low serum potassium, so they are commonly supplemented with potassium, but I don't know about cats.

Why does Roscoe have heart failure? Sending him lots of get well vibes, and to you supportive vibes.