Update on Priscilla adjusting to her new home and Gypsy too

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In case anyone is confused I renamed my new shelter cat Athena to Princess Priscilla Pattycake. Priscilla has been here for almost 2 weeks and has been making big steps to adjusting to her new home and resident cat sis Gypsy.

For the first few days I thought is wasn't going to work from all the hissy fits Gypsy threw everytime she saw Priscilla. So I kept them apart most of each day. One would be in their own room while the other was free to roam the full house. Then I would switch them out. I wanted Priscilla to gain confidence by exploring her new home on her own.

Then the next step was introducing them for very short periods, giving both freedom to roam the house at the same time but under my watchful eye. We only had one incident when both ended up in the long hallway at the same time. The hissing was big and they actually started swatting at each other but it was very quick and all over in just a few seconds.

Fast forward, and today both are roaming freely in the whole house without any separation. I also installed a Feliway diffuser in the main social area of the house yesterday hoping it will help provide more calm and confidence. So far they are adjusted enough to each other they will sleep in the same room, or sit near each other in the same room. But Gypsy still hisses at Priscilla is she gets within a couple feet of her. Other than that the peace is much better and the hissing has been drastically minimized.

I am jumping for joy inside that it seems to be working out for them. I still seperate them if I have to leave the house just to be sure they are both safe. But while I am at home and even at nighttime during sleeping hours they both have full run of the house.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great to hear. I don’t worry much about hissing as it can be like kids sticking their tongues out at one another, just another way of saying “I don’t like you”. And usually that diminishes over time although in some cases they may coexist without fighting but never become friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My wish is that someday they will except and comfort one another or even sleep together. Awww.... that would be bliss. But I will be happy with simply peaceful co-existence.