update on pregnant stray cat missing!!

catdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well.. good news, i went home from work for quick lunch while ago and check the patio and guess who was out there eating all the food? the mom cat. i opened the door and she was so excited to see me meowing and purring loud. she looks still swellen on her side but not as much, her nipples are way out. she wanted to come in so bad but i can't , my female tabby does not care for her, i did not want to put her in the garage and lock her up in case she had her kittens somewhere. she was not somewhere chilling because she was very hungry.
so.. what is going on here? did she have her kittens? she still swellen but i think it takes time for it to go down.
what should i do? i need some opinions from you guys.
i am very happy she is ok.. yay...
by the way the weather is nice mid 60's here.. maybe that is why she came out of her nest after 4 days..

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO glad she's back! Because you don't know where the nest is - and it sounds like there probably is one (I don't have experience with pregnant females though so wouldn't know) - I think it's best just to keep putting food out for her. I'd put out kitten food - she needs the extra protein & fat.
When it comes time to wean the babies, she'll bring them to you.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's also possible that she hasn't had the kittens yet. Shortly before she delivers they will "drop" so they're mostly hanging down under her belly instead her sides sticking out so far.

Like LDG said, keep putting out the food, and leave the garage door cracked open so she can get in and out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

SO glad she's back! Because you don't know where the nest is - and it sounds like there probably is one (I don't have experience with pregnant females though so wouldn't know) - I think it's best just to keep putting food out for her. I'd put out kitten food - she needs the extra protein & fat.
When it comes time to wean the babies, she'll bring them to you.
i am working late.. i guess when i go home i don't see her again that pretty much sums it up that she had her kitten and she came for refueling..
but if she sticks around, either something happened to kittens or she has not have them yet!! ok.. sorry .. i am going coo coo here!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few people on TCS have been joking recently that whoever said having pets reduces stress is out of their mind.
OK - I realize this stray isn't your pet.... but since she's adopted you, the technicalities of the relationship don't really matter, do they?

catdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

A few people on TCS have been joking recently that whoever said having pets reduces stress is out of their mind.
OK - I realize this stray isn't your pet.... but since she's adopted you, the technicalities of the relationship don't really matter, do they?
Lol!! She is a sweet cat and just want to find her a home but things are alittle complicate right now.. And having more kittens won't help the situation!!

catdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i just came home from work and look outside and she was outside looking for food and hungry( she sure has a lot of appetite but where were you last 4 days)!!! it sounds to me no kitten yet.. i am confused frostrated and stressed out.. last thursday that i wanted to take her to vet she was no where to be found!!!
i am just going to let it go.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you must be stressed out!!! You feel responsible for her since she has adopted you as her caretaker now. Gosh, I don't know what to say. If we knew she had her kittens it would help. But if she is constantly hanging around your place, then most likely she did not have them otherwise she would eat and run back to the nest.

And you don't want to take her to the vet now, just in case she did have them. Unless you can find the nest. I would at that point bring her and the kittens into the garage untill they are weaned. And handle them very often. The kittens could go to a rescue and get adopted quickly and you could get the Mom spayed.

If you do find the kittens or Mom starts to bring them around when they are older it still would be good to gather them all up and bring them in. Don't give them away, free, to anyone. Most people will take a free kitten and then down the road not get them spayed or neutered. Also, free kittens can get in the hands of some very evil, cruel people. So just start making a connection with a rescue that can give you support and take the kittens for you.

I am glad Mom is back and you have our support in your efforts and I commend you for the work you are doing to help with strays.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my coworkers had a somewhat similiar case like yours. A semiferale cat mom eating with them, and apparently having a nest somewhere.
So she talked a lot sweetly with this mom, and followed her a couple of kilometers....
The first time the mom led her astray. But at the second attempt the mom led my coworker to the nest. The kittens were collected and taken back home together with the mom.
The group is still living at their home.
A nice example of people from the beginning NOT fond in cats "me or the cats!" - ending as wonderful caretakers and admirers of their shy cats.

As the mom is apparently friendly to you, you can surely try to do the same: talk sweetly and see if she takes you to the nest. Proceed to talk with her while you are going.
IF she had already her litter, chance is quite good it will succeed.

It is only if she doesnt had her litter it will surely fail (of course). But even a non-answer may be an answer - so this way you will perhaps know... Not 100% sure, but a little better guess than at this moment as now.

IF you can pet her, you can probably feel out if she has kittens inside. Preferably a vet, but someone knowleable with cats or dogs will do. This is the only really sure possibility to know.
Although I suspect you cant - otherwise you wouldnt have this problem and need to ask. (shame to say, I had not read your previous tread - I saw many others did answered you).

Good luck!

catdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

One of my coworkers had a somewhat similiar case like yours. A semiferale cat mom eating with them, and apparently having a nest somewhere.
So she talked a lot sweetly with this mom, and followed her a couple of kilometers....
The first time the mom led her astray. But at the second attempt the mom led my coworker to the nest. The kittens were collected and taken back home together with the mom.
The group is still living at their home.
A nice example of people from the beginning NOT fond in cats "me or the cats!" - ending as wonderful caretakers and admirers of their shy cats.

As the mom is apparently friendly to you, you can surely try to do the same: talk sweetly and see if she takes you to the nest. Proceed to talk with her while you are going.
IF she had already her litter, chance is quite good it will succeed.

It is only if she doesnt had her litter it will surely fail (of course). But even a non-answer may be an answer - so this way you will perhaps know... Not 100% sure, but a little better guess than at this moment as now.

IF you can pet her, you can probably feel out if she has kittens inside. Preferably a vet, but someone knowleable with cats or dogs will do. This is the only really sure possibility to know.
Although I suspect you cant - otherwise you wouldnt have this problem and need to ask. (shame to say, I had not read your previous tread - I saw many others did answered you).

Good luck!
she is been hanging around my patio since last saturday when she came back, she has not had her kitten yet otherwise she would not leave them out for few days. i made another appointment with vet for 8am tomorrow morning to see what can be done. vet will exam her and see if it too late or not!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catdaddy

she is been hanging around my patio since last saturday when she came back, she has not had her kitten yet otherwise she would not leave them out for few days. i made another appointment with vet for 8am tomorrow morning to see what can be done. vet will exam her and see if it too late or not!!
YEAH!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how happy I am that you have that appointment with the vet! So glad she is back and I doubt she had kittens otherwise she wouldn't stick around. Will be waiting to hear the news after you vet appt.

catdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

YEAH!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how happy I am that you have that appointment with the vet! So glad she is back and I doubt she had kittens otherwise she wouldn't stick around. Will be waiting to hear the news after you vet appt.
Yes it is all good.. But I am all freaked out now and I don't know why. Hope she won't disappear again and I don't know how she will react when I put her in the cage and drive her to vet!! Would it be good idea if I cover the outside the carrier with towel so she won't get scared? The carrier is big size and I have put a little blanket in there for her and she has been in there before resting.

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes it can help to completely cover the carrier, we do this with feral cats (who are often freaking out severely when they get trapped) and it helps calm them down. good luck with your mom-to-be!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, cover the carrier with a light blanket. Leave one end open for air.

If she's really pregnant, the trip may send her into labor. That's what happened with one of the ferals we trapped 2 years ago. She had her kittens at the vet (which was a huge relief to us!), and we went on an e-mail campaign to find a foster network to take her and her kitties. We sent out over 20 e-mails to organizations within a 3-hour drive from us. We got four responses, and one offer to take her! She and her kitties were fostered - the babies adopted out in pairs and she was adopted out too!

for you and "Stray Mommy."

catdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Yup, cover the carrier with a light blanket. Leave one end open for air.

If she's really pregnant, the trip may send her into labor. That's what happened with one of the ferals we trapped 2 years ago. She had her kittens at the vet (which was a huge relief to us!), and we went on an e-mail campaign to find a foster network to take her and her kitties. We sent out over 20 e-mails to organizations within a 3-hour drive from us. We got four responses, and one offer to take her! She and her kitties were fostered - the babies adopted out in pairs and she was adopted out too!

for you and "Stray Mommy."
Great!!! That really won't help my situation at all!! The good thing is the vet is about 8 minutes away from my place so it won't be along drive. I just hope everything works out ok and I need everyone's praying on this.. I am not very good with type of situations and I am stressed out!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, it would! You know she'd be in good hands, and she can stay at the vet for a day or two while you work to find someone to take her and the babies in.
Then you can stop worrying (as much LOL) about them!

catdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can anyone tell me why she is rolling around so much like when your cat is happy!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by catdaddy

she is been hanging around my patio since last saturday when she came back, she has not had her kitten yet otherwise she would not leave them out for few days.
Yeah, if it is so, I do agree, with all probability there is no litter waiting for her.
Although it is quite possible she HAD an litter, but lost it. Either deadborn, or some other cause...

Rolling around you do write? Like happy cats?

I would say, rolling around may also be females in heat... IF she lost her litter, she may be in heat again...

Anyway, do proceed as you are doing - visit to vet including spaying.. etc...

Im sure it will go well, you are on very good way with her.

Good luck!