Update on New Kittens!

Kitalya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Thanks to all who gave advice and assurance.The kittens still have not seen the vet, but their appointment is approaching quickly! 5 days left. Because of this, they are still stuck in the bathroom, aside from heavily supervised time in the rest of the house. We have let the kittens and big cats smell each other and even see each other. There has been some hissing when they see each other, initiated by the big cats. But overall, the big cats will approach the kittens with ears perked and eyes wide - not quite scared, but certainly alert... and interested! The rest of this is separated by cat, and there is a TL;DR at the end!

🐈Jynx, the female kitten (we are almost certain now... but not quite positive just yet), will try to run out the bathroom door when we open it. She is ready go explore the house and meet friends (after the vet, of course). When we feed them, she comes running to the dish immediately! She will still hiss sometimes when we open the door, but purrs seconds after, even if we haven't pet her!
🐱Oliver (male kitten), however, still hides. He will play, cuddle, and eat comfortably even if I am in the room with him. This is a huge improvement! He needs to get used to us as his people and the big cats' smells more before he is ready.
🐅Vixen is our female big cat. She will sit outside the bathroom door sniffing and trying to see inside, but will hiss at the kittens if we let them get too close to her. One time I was in the bathroom sith the door cracked to feed them, and I heard a hiss. Vixen and Jynx were having a staring contest through the crack. I think she just needs more time and more getting used to their smells and the kittens in general.
🦁Bandit, our alpha male! Such a strong king of the house... runs at the sight of tiny, 2 lb kittens. Well, not always. He will sit in the same room as them, aware that they are there. He acts like he is in denial, though. My mom was holding Jynx in a chair at our card table, and my dad had Bandit in another chair. He put a treat on the table andd, instead of going to eat the treat, Bandit put his head under the table. He didn't run, growl, or hiss. He just hid his face. I'm not really sure what this whole denial thing means... or how to help him get over it. If it is just time, great! But I'm sure there's some work I need to do here. Help me out again? He us comfortable in the rest of the house and will even sit outside the bathroom door.
🔵TL;DR🔵
Jynx (female kitten) is excited and ready to meet the big cats and explore the house! She is very lovey and friendly.
Oliver (male kitten) is still scared, but is certainly opening up! I think we just need to keep taking it at a pace that he is comfortable with, and he will be just fine:)
Vixen is definitely interested, but hisses if she gets to close. I think she just needs to get uaed to them a little more.
Bandit seems to be in denial. I'm not sure what to do about this. He is okay being in the same room as the kittens, but won't eat treats or food when they are around him. He also runs away if they get too close. Sometimes hissing, mostly running. Maybe someone has encountered this before and/or knows a solution?
Thank u all for the love and support from my last post ❤🥰🐱

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about Bandit. He will get over it in time. This is a fairly normal stage some of the adults go through -- call it the vigilance stage, where an adult cat is on alert because of the kitten and can't take the time to eat a treat or play because they must remain vigilant against imagined possible threats. The thing I most remember from the last cat I had in the vigilance stage is do NOT let the adult cat lay on your tummy with the kitten loose during the vigilance stage. Because if the kitten comes into the bedroom, the adult cat is going to spring right off, using claws to get a good spring! And sometimes a mere noise that the big cat imagines is the kitten will do the job! I never got worse than scratched, but if Bandit is one of those cats that likes to curl up by your head, in all seriousness, be careful, because the vigilance stage could make that dangerous.

Last edited: