Update on my two fosters (fleas)

Doody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know I have started several threads on this, but here is where we are at. To recap, I picked up two six month old boys from a gross house on Saturday (we have no pets ourselves). I took them directly to the rescue (at Petsmart). She flea combed, saw "dirt" and immediately treated them with Capstar and Advantage Multi. She also dewormed them. She told me to set up a crate in my garage and keep them their until I flea comb them to make sure I don't see any live fleas. So, I did and the next morning we combed each one on a table in the garage. What sweet cats! I was kind of afraid of getting bit or scratched (no rabies shot yet) -- well, the whole time I combed they both were purring and loving it!

Anyhow, the first "comb out" was pretty gross with flea dirt and dead fleas. I never saw anything alive. I recleaned (bleach solution) the crate, changed the bedding and put them both back. Twelve hours later (last evening) we combed each one again. Significant reduction in flea dirt and maybe 4-5 dead fleas again. Again, rebleached the crate and put fresh blanket in there after the second combing.

Since my hubby was calling me abusive for leaving them in the cold garage, I decided to bring them inside our home office (carpeted) last night after the second combing (they are still in the crate). He is now calling me abusive for not letting them roam the room and keeping them in the crate.

They have a pre-surgical vet appointment tomorrow late afternoon. I just want reassurance from the vet that I don't have to worry about eggs or anything like that. Wouldn't the two combings have taken care of any eggs? Although, I did have a hard time getting the groin and arm pit area.

Rescue also told me I could give them another Capstar "to put my mind at ease".

Anyhow, I will feel better when they are seen and I get some reassurance (I hope). This has been so much work, and honestly I regret every bringing them home (although they are total sweethearts and will make great pets).

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't regret saving them! You've made a tremendous difference in the lives of those two poor cats, and I cannot thank you enough for that. If it were me, they would be roaming my house right now, but I understand your reservations.You could, if you think the cats would be amenable, bathe them in Dawn dish-washing detergent.That would definitely eliminate any remaining fleas and eggs, if any remained. Some cats are remarkably relaxed with baths and some . . . are not. I don't guess you're close to Orlando, Florida, are you? If you are I'll come help you! If not and you don't feel up to the task of bathing them on your own your vet would most likely bathe them for you. In all honesty though after the efforts you've described, I really believe they would be fine roaming your house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Doody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate you saying that! I am in the cold, far north, which made hanging out in the freezing garage all weekend combing and sterilizing stuff all the worse. My understanding is I shouldn't bathe the cats because it reduces the effectiveness of the Advantage Multi that was applied a few days ago. I am not sure I would have the confidence to bathe them either! They go to the vet today at 4:20. Once I have them in the carriers in the car, I will take the opportunity to vacuum this room really well. I just hope my car is ok since I transported them in carriers from that nasty house (30 minute drive). I did take the car to the car wash and vacuumed it the best I could. Can you tell I am kind of psycho about this??? Will update after vet appointment.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
D Doody -- Updates? Are Capstar and Advantage Multi effective against flea larvae and flea eggs? I know that Revolution claims to be effective for all stages of the flea life cycle.