Update on Jasper & spraying issue

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since things have changed a little I figured I would post an update. It's kind of hard to tell what's working here but the amount of marking has reduce by 90%.

I'm still giving Jasper the Prozac but have reduced the dose my half. Someone told me to give the med two full months so I'm going to. The other thing is we have allowed him to go back outside twice a day for 45 minutes each time. Someone is with him (he doesn't go far) while he's out. I carry a spray bottle (just in case) and my husband carries a big stick (that he only uses to prod, never touches the cat). Jasper does cry to go out in between his morning and evening outings but he does not go around the house spraying when he can't get out there.

This is all kind of a pain because we do have to go out with him but hey, it's better than him being hurt in a fight, and better than having my house soaked in kitty pee.

I have to think that he would still be spraying if not for the Prozac but I'm not positive. The only way to tell would be to take him completely off of it but that would put us back to square one.

He is using the outdoor enclosure more now. I think maybe he's not looking at it as a cage now that he gets out a little.

Our next "project" with him is to get a harness on him so we have better control while outside. Will still have to carry the spray bottle just in case of another cat but that's ok. Baby steps. I do think that if we could have done the "inside only" thing differently, like little by little, things would have gone much better. Because he was injured and so sick, this was the way we had to go. Kind of backwards but it's seems to be working.

My plan is to make him an indoor kitty by fall. Can't imagine going out into the cold Vermont winter at 5 a.m. Burr!

On the up side, I am getting in a good walk twice a day for myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha! Saw a typo. I have reduced the dose "by" half, not "my" half. Although, through the past 6 or 7 weeks I sure could have used the other half.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome! Glad to hear things are a little better now! I know how stressful dealing with the urine all over the place can be!!! You must be soooo relieved that it's now under control

Good Luck with harness training him- that will definitely make his outside jaunts a bit easier. And hopefully you can ease him into being an indoor kitty without any problems again.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful! Good for you!

It's so impressive that you are sticking with Jasper and figuring out a way to work this all out. You see him as a member of the family, and not an expendable thing. So many aren't like that.
Jasper is a very lucky cat to have you and your husband. In time, I'm sure all the issues will be resolved.

Robin

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cmedeiros17

Good Luck with harness training him- that will definitely make his outside jaunts a bit easier. And hopefully you can ease him into being an indoor kitty without any problems again.
Thank you. The harness training is going to happen now. It's the harness or nothing at all I'm afraid.
I just hope the spraying doesn't start up again. Fingers crossed.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

That's wonderful! Good for you!

It's so impressive that you are sticking with Jasper and figuring out a way to work this all out. You see him as a member of the family, and not an expendable thing. So many aren't like that.
Jasper is a very lucky cat to have you and your husband. In time, I'm sure all the issues will be resolved.

Robin
Jasper isn't looking so lucky this morning. He got away from me and chased the cat next door under their deck. It was the worst possible place, as their deck has all kinds of little cubby holes where the cats get stuck and can't get out easily. There was a terrible fight, screams that hurt my ears and stopped my heart. I couldn't get to them. He's a mess right now. I can't find a spot on him that wasn't bitten. And now I'm a mess too. And I feel 100% responsible. Like I should have stuck with it and just kept him inside.

What is it about cats' and territory? My guy can't get it through his head that that area next door is not his. I think I may go crazy.
I'm feeling just sick to my stomach knowing I could have prevented this one.

He seems to be ok, in that there is no blood dripping from him. There is a lot of lost fur but so far he's not hiding. That's a good sign right? Oh gees. I need to do something more than what I'm doing right now. I just don't know what.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kit E Cat

YAY! So glad things are getting better.
I thought they were. I guess I'm going to have to come up with another plan.

I'm going to go get a harness today and see if I can make that work.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no!!!!!!! I know it's frustrating......but hang in there!!!! One step forward.....two steps back. Hopefully you can get this figured out!!!!

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. Keep a close eye on him. Those bites turn into absesses so fast. I wonder if your vet could give you some kind of antibiotic for a preventative measure?

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took him in to see the vet. I am so afraid of infection after the last time. He had two wounds that she could see. He got a shot of an antibiotic to be on the safe side. He was very combative at the vets office. Worse than I have ever seen him. It just makes me wonder more about the prozac. Of course, it could be because he is in pain. He was curled up in a ball when I got home this afternoon. He must hurt. When i brought him home I put him in the spare room and closed the door. I figured he could use some time to chill without any outside stimulation. He has a comfy place to sleep, in the closet, where I know he'll feel safe.

I'm at such a loss as to what to do next. This is all just sad.

As for my crazy neighbor, she leaves her door wide open so anyone and anything can walk right in. I had to go in her house to get Jasper out over the weekend. No one was even home. Can I just wish for her to move??? Please?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How upsetting for you since things were progressing so well with the scheduled outdoor times for Jasper.
. I am sorry he got into that fight and I can certainly understand about the heart stopping yowls and screams.
. I think taking him to the vet was good and the antibiotic shot. I am hoping the harness will be the answer to your prayers
. In fact, I just saw today at my Petsmart a lady walking her cat around the store in a harness
!!! It was so cool to see that and the cat was so calm and comfortable doing it. So, it made me realize that cats if they have the personality for it, can be trained in the harness and brought out into the big scary world. Much luck and hope Jasper will recover quickly from this ordeal. I have to commend you for sticking this out with Jasper and not giving up.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
He's up and about now. Even cried a little to be let out but he gave up on it pretty fast. For now, I'm keeping him inside. Let him get over this last ordeal.
He hasn't sprayed, yet. Fingers crossed on this one.

I think both cats are being extra quiet because it's so darn hot here right now.
Time will tell I'm sure.

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Jasper and poor you... I can highly reccomend the harness training. I take my cat for a walk each evening and he loves it. Over time, he really has become like a little dog! We follow a set route that takes just over an hour. He cilmbs trees, enjoys "hunting" and generally just being out in the fresh air.
He was rather destructive as a kitten - curtain climbing etc, but this has stopped all that. He only ever "asks" to go outside when it is walk time - its the same time everyday.
I hope that this may be a solution for you both. Please feel free to PM me for any tips/advice on harness training

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Turks rule!

Poor Jasper and poor you... I can highly reccomend the harness training. I take my cat for a walk each evening and he loves it. Over time, he really has become like a little dog! We follow a set route that takes just over an hour. He cilmbs trees, enjoys "hunting" and generally just being out in the fresh air.
He was rather destructive as a kitten - curtain climbing etc, but this has stopped all that. He only ever "asks" to go outside when it is walk time - its the same time everyday.
I hope that this may be a solution for you both. Please feel free to PM me for any tips/advice on harness training
Thank you!
Lucky for me we've been having hot weather with thunder storms. Although I hate the weather, Jasper has not asked to go out. I needed this little mini break. He did spray in two places today while I was gone but it's a lot less than usual. Still, yuk. I could smell it the minute I walked in the door. Thankfully, no carpet got it.