Update On Flea Immunity To Advantage

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year, it was apparent that the Advantage flea treatment I had been faithfully using for my kitties had begun to not work so well because, apparently, the fleas had developed resistance or immunity to it.

So, I switched to Cheristin, and it's working well. I just reordered today, another 4-month supply.

I admit I like Advantage a lot better. Cheristin has an unpleasant petro-chemical odor, and it's oily on the cat's fur. When five just treated cats sit on the bed all at once, the odor gets a bit powerful.

BUT, it works! The fleas are gone, and the odor soon goes, too. Well worth it. Much much better than fiddling around with those funky old flea collars and "flea powder."

After this batch is used up in another four months, I'm thinking of going back to Advantage, unless someone has a specific suggestion for yet another alternative, which I think will be a good idea.

AND, one more thing, don't be afraid to use growth inhibitor. That stops the larvae, so if you have them in your rug, you'll further reduce their numbers. (Gets rid of roaches, too, what's not to love?) :purr:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Glad you found something that worked for you! Revolution is another product you could consider trying. You might even ask your vet if there is a known issue with the effectiveness of Advantage in your area, just to see if others have had the same issue. Also, kind of obvious but needs to be said on the slim chance it is part of the problem - check to make sure that the dosage is correct for your cats' weight when using Advantage.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I heard about flea resistance to Advantage close to a dozen years ago. I haven't experienced it yet. Doesn't mean it hasn't or isn't happening. It's been working for us for 20 years and I'm glad I don't have to switch because Advantage seems to be well tolerated by my cat.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katy has been using Advantage Plus for 4 years now and the product works!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Revolution a lot better then Cheristen. Cheristen left that nasty film on my cats necks forever. I had to wipe it off with a wet paper towel at some point.

I've been getting my Revolution prescription free here:
Revolution Cat (Blue)
Well that was fair dinkum helpful! Just placed an order. (Do they still say fair dinkum?)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on where you placed the order, get in touch and cancel. If they won't cancel see about returns.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depending on where you placed the order, get in touch and cancel. If they won't cancel see about returns.
I think doomsdave doomsdave ordered Revolution, not Cheristen.

Although I have not heard fair dinkum (or it's equilavents) in dadgum forever, I think he was telling us that was good information and that he moving away from Cheristen!!! ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered Revolution, from Australia. I didn't get it here, because I didn't want to go through the [expletive] of getting a prescription.

But, I also got some Cheritsin and no problems with that so far. No fleas and kitties are okay. So I'll use up the C then do the R and maybe go back to the A.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you just order Revolution now? Last I heard you had to have a Rx from the vet. It's been a while, okay several years.

Posted at the same time.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had advantage resistant fleas that infested the yard and my house! (Kill those evil little bastards!!!) My Vet said that fleas were developing resistance to advantage in our area, lately. We had been using advantage for years. I want to say this was 2-3 years age but I’m not sure on the exact date. (On a depressing side note I learned fleas do not die in winter, the little bastards hibernate!!!) We had to fog the house, put flea poison on the grass and Cheristin the cats to kill all the little bastards!

Since then I have been using Cheristin with great results. My only issue was one time my lightweight/petite kitty who was finally a teen got a full Cheristin dose and he appeared extra sleepy. This last month I broke up his dose in half and gave it to him every two weeks. I think he was sick/sleepy because he moved and got it on him in a spot where the dummy could lick it!