Update on Chowder - Need Advice Re: Allergies/Dental

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.  First off, thank you so much for your support in the previous thread I made about Chowder's ear and eye problems and the vet's mixed up records.  The old thread can be seen here if you need to catch up: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/272709/really-annoyed-at-the-vet-would-love-advice

Today Chowder went back to the vet to check up on his ears and eye and to get blood drawn to determine his FIV and FeLV status.  His ears have much less bacteria, but there was still a large amount of wax and debris, so the vet gave me an astringent rinse and more antibiotic ear drops to give him.  Namely, the medications are Posatex Otic Suspension and TrizUltra Keto.  I am supposed to use the TrizUltra on a gauze pad and clean out his ears and then apply the Posatex after a couple of minutes.  

His eye is all cleared up and looks great.  No more need for meds there.

I told her I have seen him sneeze a few times and asked if he needed another kind of medication for a respiratory infection, but she said his breathing was fine and his nose isn't irritated, so she didn't want to give him anything else today.  

She then told me all of this could be because of food allergies and I should put him on a Hill's Hypoallergenic food.  I declined saying I'd think about it mainly because I have moved Chowder completely away from dry food and know Hill's is full of crap - I didn't tell her that though.  Any advice on an allergy food that's healthier for him?  She told me the OTC allergy foods aren't really hypoallergenic because they are made in the same factory as all the other food and get passed through contaminated machinery.  Is there any stock in this?

Also, he's only 3, but she says she doesn't like the look of his teeth.  She suggested a dental dry food as well and said if after two months they didn't look better we needed to talk about doing a dental cleaning.  I'm really nervous about all this guys.  I work at a coffee shop making only a few cents above minimum wage an hour.  I'm looking for a new job using my degree, but so far nothing has turned up.  Today alone I spent $150 and he needs to go back again in two weeks.  Any idea on his teeth?  Do those CET chews really work?  Would they be a problem because of allergens?  I asked her if I should attempt to brush his teeth and she just said the thing about dental food without really answering my questions.

They took his blood and retested him.  It is FIV like I was told all along.  They fortunately didn't charge me for the test since it was their error.

Sorry for all the questions, guys.  I really just need some guidance.   I'm really worried the costs are going to get out of hand. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can answer some of your questions, hope others more knowledgeable will chime in.
Dry food doesn't clean teeth. For one reason, cats tend to swallow the dry food whole, they don't chew. Here is an article that addresses dry food and clean teeth.
Cats do chew bone; you could try giving Chowder the smallest part of a chicken wing to see if he'd like it (or, even recognize it as food :) Here is a link to what TCS members use for teeth cleaning (also check out the links within this article).
I don't know a lot about hypoallergenic foods. But it seems to me dry food would have a lot more ingredients--and potentially a lot more allergens--than, for example, a limited ingredient wet food. So next time you're at the pet store, look for a limited ingredient or novel protein food and see how Chowder reacts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input.  I know the local pet food store sells the Natural Balance LID Duck and Pea canned.  I'll go buy some of that tomorrow and give it a go I guess.  I might try to get a couple chicken wings and give him a little piece to see if he'll eat it.  Maybe a meat counter would only sell me 1-2 at a time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone else have ideas?  I take him back to the vet for a check up next week and would love to have made more decisions by then.