Unusually Quiet

murielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

One of our cats, Ruby has been acting a little listless today. Usually, she's full of beans, jumping around, making her little trilling noises and demanding we turn on the tap for her so that she can have water from the faucet (we don't spoil the at ALL), or chasing her brother all over the apartment.

Anyway, today my fiancee noticed that she was sleeping a lot and not as active as she usually is (she turns two on the 13th of May so it can't be her age). She hasn't eaten a whole lot and drinks even less. She's been sneezing a bit and her appetite is not the best (I gave her a few treats to make sure she had at least something to eat) but there isn't any mucus around her nose and eyes and she doesn't have a fever. She's a strictly indoor cat but my fiancee suspects that it could be a cold caused by leaving a window open at night (it gets hot in our apartment, even when it's cold out). Should I be worried or am I overreacting and she's just having the blahs?

Thanks for your help!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi murielle murielle :wave3:,
how was your cat Ruby, today? Could she possibly have any allergies, such as to pollen or something from outside, that may have gotten into the place, from the open window? Is she still sneezing?

If a cat's nose is stuffed up, then they cannot smell well, and cannot smell their food, so then their appetite decreases, too.
Try offering Ruby the most smelliest warmed wet cat food, you can think of...or some tuna, chicken broth, or chicken baby food (no onions or garlic). If she likes her treats, then try to crumble some onto her wet food, and see if she will eat.
If you add water to the canned food, and make it more soupy, then it may be better, and easier for her to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am happy (and very relieved) to report Ruby was back to her old self yesterday :). She was eating and drinking normally and she had the zooms as she usually does.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
That is fantastic! Thanks for the update.:biggrin:
Nothing better than hearing a cat do the zoomies. :)