Unusual kitten

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not an expert on fever coat as  I have only have seen it one time, but even though his face is remarkably clear I tend to believe it may be fever coat. If you look at the other kittens photos closely you can see the fever coat ticking somewhat on them, unless it is just the lighting. He is sure a cutie!

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those eyes are so pretty. Like green sea glass at the beach.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did we EVER find out it this was a fever coat or exactly what?  Inquiring minds STILL want to know!  Yes, all these months later.  We're talking about a KITTEN  here!  Darn...almost a cat now!

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Update I had given back in 5/2016 was that the professor that "Anne" wanted me to get in touch with, never responded to me or Anne. So nothing was done. The kitten was adopted, I believe back in August, so there is good news! At the time of adoption, she did turn more black but still had some unusual coloring.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Did we EVER find out it this was a fever coat or exactly what?  Inquiring minds STILL want to know!  Yes, all these months later.  We're talking about a KITTEN  here!  Darn...almost a cat now!

The Update I had given back in 5/2016 was that the professor that "Anne" wanted me to get in touch with, never responded to me or Anne. So nothing was done. The kitten was adopted, I believe back in August, so there is good news! At the time of adoption, she did turn more black but still had some unusual coloring.

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The shelter that I fostered this kitten/cat for never gives me updates. However, I was able to download the "going home picture" from their facebook page and crop the adopter out but leave the kitten. This is the last picture I have of "the unique kitten" As you can see, his coloring turned all black. I am not familiar with fever coat or Burmese, so I am not sure what his genes truly are. What do you think StefanZ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It would be good to work some with this photo in photoshop or similiar programme.   The body seems really black now, thought.   So no blue burmese... Possibly a black one, thought...

So this is another proof it was fever coat.  Fever coat seems to be most common on the blacks ones.  Why, I dont know, but they almost always shows to be black as older.  (Healthy again I was almost going to write).   We discovered this rule discussing with @KKoerner .

Photoshoping could perhaps help us to see if there IS any masque on the face.  I see on this photo the face isnt totally black, unlike the body.

I dont have photoshop or similiar program on this here computer.

If we cant get further  traces by photoshopping, the hypothesis will fall apart.  We simply cant know.

The only we can take for sure is it was a fever coat.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My guess is just a DSH with a fever coat as a baby.

Now, his fur grew out, he has shed off all the odd-colored fur, and is showing his generically true color, which has always been black.

The only way for a fever coat to stay would be for the "fever" to have cause permanent damage to the melanin producing cells...or for it to not be a fever coat but a mutation we sometimes see with black cats that start turning white. With this guy, his cells weren't damaged, just affected due to the fever and for a moment during development, they didn't produce melanin and so the tips of the hairs were white. As they grow and shed the white leaves and since the melanin producing cells are fine the hairs grow out with the right color.

Cute little guy though. Then and now :-)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, mystery pretty much solved, and Kitteh is with a loving home, so I can actually put this thread to bed on my list with an easy heart.