Unterritorial Cats?

Mishaxhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've just gotten the second cat I've been wanting for the better part of a year (shoutout to my boss who drove 30mins to drop off a stray she found) and I'm finding, to my awe, that my first cat is taking this really well. The intruding cat growls and hisses and he just sits there staring. He's never been one to hiss at all but I always figured if it came to another cat in his home he'd go into murder mode. So I'm thinking either
a)he's just calm enough that, after hardly having seen another cat in his life, he's more curious than upset, or
b)he's such a stone-cold killer he's not gonna show any sign of aggression before he tears the smaller cat into many small pieces.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone else has ever had a cat like this. Introductions are going OK, btw, they've been eating in front of each other through a screen as of this morning (unlike in this video taken yesterday). I have read a dozen different articles about introducing cats but if anyone has any advice for that I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If life is like a box of chocolates, cats are like a box of mystery cans (some with fruit, some with pop-up snakes). Either way, you never know what you are going to get. Some cats don't get bothered. Some even take to the newcomer right away, becoming fast friends. Age is strongly related to the chance of problems, but even then, you never know. You rolled the dice and are well on your way to passing Go -- congratulations, now just be careful to avoid Income Tax.

Glad its working out well.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It definitely varies between individual cats. When I introduced my second one to my resident (both young adult females) there was some hissing and growling through the door at first but after 3-4 days or so they were roaming the house together and starting to play. I got lucky that my cats let me skip a bunch of steps in the intro process.

It's good that your intro is going well. Hopefully they'll be good friends soon!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are bomb proof. Sounds like you have one of those. Lucky!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just keep a close eye on them, especially until the intruding cat stops growling and hissing all the time. And, make sure they both have opportunities to NOT be in each other's faces/spaces all the time. If you have all the introduction articles, you are well armed with a ton of suggestions on how to handle the adaption period for both of them.

While some people may suggest they have diabolical cats (planning evil here and there ;)) I don't think any cat plans a secret attack on another cat while remaining calm, cool, and collected beforehand. Typically, not their nature.

If a fight would occur it would be more likely because your new cat gets to feel more comfortable in your home and is more willing to assert him/her self at that point. That's why using appropriate and applicable introduction techniques from those articles, and monitoring them for a while longer is a good idea.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the stray was checked out by a vet and tested negative for FeLV and FIV before you let them meet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mishaxhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While some people may suggest they have diabolical cats (planning evil here and there ;)) I don't think any cat plans a secret attack on another cat while remaining calm, cool, and collected beforehand. Typically, not their nature.
You don't know my cat... he's nearly figured out how to use doorknobs. I can't know what he's capable of. Thanks for the intro advice though!

I hope the stray was checked out by a vet and tested negative for FeLV and FIV before you let them meet.
The resident cat is up-to-date on vax so it shouldn't be an issue... she's going in next week, hopefully, if I can squeeze her in around work.