Unsure Of Cat

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats 1.) Med/ long hair black female ( Midnight about 2years old- been fixed) and 2 grey tiger ( Rigby same age as Midnight, Tyge about 6-8 months old) and Sparta (about 2 years old). Sparta is the one I am not able to figure out the breed. I've seen pics of hybrid bobcat kittens but his tail isn't bobbed, it's the regular length of a domesticated house cat. He has the coloring of a hybrid bobcat and is shorter than the other 3 though plus he likes to be outside where the other 3 don't want no part of going outside. When he wants to go out he goes to the door, meows then when he wants back in he comes back to the door and meows. When he is inside, he is mostly by my side so my family calls me, " His adopted human". They aren't really my cats, they belong to a family member who stays with me. Another thing I have noticed is Sparta has a black spot on the top of the inside of his mouth where the other 3 don't. Has anybody seen a breed that has the black spot on the inside of a cat's mouth or know what kind of breed Sparta is just from the description of him?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its easier with a couple of good pics on each of the cats. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's my issue! Trying to get good pictures of the cats is like trying to get a good pic of a hummingbird drinking nectar. As soon as I get ready to snap a pic they are gone like the wind except for Midnight. She'll pose for the camera seeing how she is a spoiled rotten brat! LOL!!!!

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's my issue! Trying to get good pictures of the cats is like trying to get a good pic of a hummingbird drinking nectar. As soon as I get ready to snap a pic they are gone like the wind except for Midnight. She'll pose for the camera seeing how she is a spoiled rotten brat! LOL!!!!

Attachments

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As everyone can see I was finally able to get a good pic of Sparta. Another thing his fur/ hair feels totally different from the others. I really would like to know what kind of breed Sparta is so that way if he is a hybrid bobcat I'll know to keep an eye out for a letter of a fine or get a license in order to keep him. I had to rescue Sparta from the brink of death when my family member ex-girlfriend brought him here seeing how he was malnutrioushed back in December 2015, he was only a few weeks old at that time- too young to have been taken from his mother.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You don't have to worry, he is not a bobcat hybrid. There aren't any breeds that are bobcat hybrids (Bengals are hybrids with Asian Leopard Cats, Savannahs are hybrids with Servals), and it's unlikely that such a mating would occur on its own, as bobcats would see domestic cats more as a tasty meal rather than a mating partner. Your kitty is a brown mackeral tabby Domestic Shorthair. He looks very sweet!

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's where you're fooled!! He's a pain in the butt. When he is inside, he has to be in the same room as I. If he isn't, he cries until I either go back to that room and cuddle him or he finds me. When he is outside, he isn't able to get near me seeing how the outside cat, Halloween, throws a "witch fit" and gets all protective.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Has he been neutered? Or is Midnight the only one who has been fixed?

Also, please consider making him an indoor cat. There are lots of dangers for outdoor kitties: getting into fights with other cats (or dogs, wolves, foxes), contracting FIV, FeLV, FIP, heartworm, getting hit by a car, or even poisoned or shot at.

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's where you are fooled. HE'S A BRAT; worse than a spoiled rotten 2 year old child! When he is inside, he has to be in the same room as I or he begins to cry until I get back to that room or he finds me then I have to cuddle and hold him like any of us, humans would hold a baby of our own.

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Midnight is the only one that has been fixed. Her owner which is another one of my family members made sure of that. The 3 male cats aren't fixed and never been to a vet, they belong to my cousin and his ex-girlfriend who since she moved away doesn't have anything to do with the cats and my cousin doesn't have a job then when he did always found an excuse of not having money to take them to the vet.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hormones can sometimes make cats act a little bit more out of control. How does he get along with the other cats?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Desexing will help Sparta's health, temperament, and help prevent pet overpopulation. It really is important to get your cats into the vet, to get vaccinated as well as neutered. You may want to look into pet insurance, to help pay those vet bills.

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He gets along well with the other cats. Mostly stays by himself in a kitchen chair. Midnight has her safe place ( my room) then Rigby and Tyge either stay next to my cousin or on the cat condo/tree.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He gets along well with the other cats. Mostly stays by himself in a kitchen chair. Midnight has her safe place ( my room) then Rigby and Tyge either stay next to my cousin or on the cat condo/tree.
That's good to hear. I was just wondering if he had been bullied by the other cats, that would certainly make him not want to part from you!

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like I said the cats aren't mine and my cousin doesn't really give two hoots about Sparta seeing how Sparta was my cousins ex-girlfriends cat and could care less if anything happens to Sparta.

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the reason he doesn't want to be that far from me is because I'm actually the only one that shows him any attention. What I don't understand is why his meows still sounds like a baby kitten when Tyge who is younger than Sparta has more of an adult meow? Is that also a trait of a brown mackerel tabby? To be completely honest, this is my first time of having cats/kittens. When I was growing up I had a dog then I had birds ( cockateel and parakeets).

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Brown mackeral tabby is his coloring, that has no effect on a cat's purrsonality. His "breed" would be Domestic Shorthair, which basically means "mixed breed". But definitely do get him neutered, and keep showing him all the love! :catrub:

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm currently unable to work due to medical reasons so I don't even have funds but you mentioned earlier about pet insurance. Where would I be able to find any information on pet insurance and is it very expensive?