Unsolved, sometimes gag-type cough?

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What would make a 15/16 yr old neutered indoor male cat scruch down and cough after napping? This has gone on for a couple of yrs now and while I have wondered if there's some internal, intestinal but possibly lung related issue, so far various vets have not suggested (or agreed with my Q's any kind of exploratory or even just imaging search. They don't seem to have an answer to my questions and because it doesn't get worse, they kind of do nothing. Am I missing something here? Thx!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can say that I don't think you're wrong on the lung aspect. That sounds a lot like Asthma. It's a exactly what my boy was doing and it took me firing a vet and talking him to his current one to finally find out - it's Asthma and allergies. I'm sorry it's taking you various vets and still no answer.

Is he otherwise is good shape?

The other thing is heart. During this we also found out he has mild HCM.

Charlie's 10 now. :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi and Thx, but wouldn't he show signs of resp. problems/asthma when he's awake otherwise?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A cat that age with coughing should be taken a bit more seriously than what it looks like your vets are doing. I don't understand why they would not at least start with an x-ray of his lungs/heart - if for other reason than to give you peace of mind.

Aside from heart/lungs, it could be sinus related, if he only does it after napping. When I wake up in the morning, my sinuses drain, causing coughing (from draining mucous down my throat) and it doesn't recur all day long - until the next morning after sleeping. Environmental allergies causing coughing/drainage is another possibility but a bit harder to confirm, short of trying things like antihistamines.

There are treatments for any of these possibilities. You could either choose to insist on an x-ray or find another vet who is willing to at least look at a couple of most probable reasons.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and Thx, but wouldn't he show signs of resp. problems/asthma when he's awake otherwise?
Charlie's was not all the time either.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner and A Alldara both have some great thoughts too.

I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I can't understand why the vets wouldn't at least check a little more closely. Then again - I did fire one for pretty much that reason. They kept saying "he's young don't worry about it".

A Alldara That is a great approach. It's sad we have to advocate so hard sometimes for something that really should be looked into.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for ideas... going to see vet in next few wks so now have Q's to ask about. Will let you know what they say.
But what is a pro BNP test please? Also, the sinus thing makes sense as he gets intermittent waxing-waning sneezing weeks.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
ProBNP test basicaly will give your vet an idea of your cat's heart health more specificaly inflamation of the heart muscle. Kabuto had it done because he had a grade 3 murmer, it confirmed what the vet suspected - heart disease.

Heart disease can cause a buildup of fluid in and/or around the lungs and cats will wheeze and cough or sometimes choke , wretch, or gag in an attempt to clear the fluid.

In kabuto's case his breathing is sometimes noisy or rattly, it comes and goes but often when he sniffs something like food.

Last edited:

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, thank you!

His 'regular' breathing is actually fine except for what I wrote above, but I guess it's like people when we get old... bits and pieces of 'stuff' now and then... but he ate his breakfast 😊 ,

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cat had an enlarged heart with fluid buildup at 10 and did very well on Lasix for 6 years. coughing can be a sign of this. For goodness sake don't be unduly alarmed if your vet finds this. it can be just that your cat is getting older and developing this. Just like humans. And like humans they can live very well for years after!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, thank you!

His 'regular' breathing is actually fine except for what I wrote above, but I guess it's like people when we get old... bits and pieces of 'stuff' now and then... but he ate his breakfast 😊 ,
Well, even with athsma different people are effected more or less. Could say people have it to different degrees. Cats are the same too.

When I lived with smokers, Nobel had an inhaler. Once we lived without indoor smoking (when I moved out with him on my own) he never had an athsma attack again. Other cats need it their whole life.

emiliemeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully it’s okay I’m bumping this older thread. How is your kitty doing? Mine just scored 130 on the proBNP and has been having coughing, likely asthma, fits. Did your kitty start taking anything to help?

ProBNP test basicaly will give your vet an idea of your cat's heart health more specificaly inflamation of the heart muscle. Kabuto had it done because he had a grade 3 murmer, it confirmed what the vet suspected - heart disease.

Heart disease can cause a buildup of fluid in and/or around the lungs and cats will wheeze and cough or sometimes choke , wretch, or gag in an attempt to clear the fluid.

In kabuto's case his breathing is sometimes noisy or rattly, it comes and goes but often when he sniffs something like food.