Unscented cat wipes or warm cloth?

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have read that giving a cat that has pollen/environmental allergies a wipe down can help them, as ingesting the environmental allergen can give them issues. I can't find any unscented cat/pet wipes online. Any suggestions, or should I stick with a warm wrung out washcloth? I noticed that when pollen was high the other day, Buddy was scratching, even his ears. Today the pollen is pretty non-existent and he hasn't scratched once. Thanks!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on something that I could do at home.
There isn't anything that store bought wet wipes can do to get off pollen than a clean cloth with water and a few drops of soap can't do.

Yes, we do have a package of store bought wet wipes for cats. We use them when we need a quick way to clean our cat, Casper, when he gets into a mess. (Not very frequently.) They're handy and you don't have to do anything to get ready. Just pop open the package and go. However, when it's something that you'd need to do every day, buying pre-made products can get expensive. Besides, store bought wipes don't lend themselves to cleaning up your cat when he gets into a big mess. In that case, it's probably bath time...as much as I hate to subject Casper to a bath, there are times when it's necessary. Thankfully, that's happened only a couple of times.

For your case, I agree that your cat, Buddy, would benefit from a regular, daily wipe down. If he gets itchy and uncomfortable just from dust and pollen but feels better after a quick sponge bath, it's clear that you're doing something right.

If I was you, I'd opt for the wet cloth and save the money that I'd spend on wet wipes for something better...maybe some kitty treats to give to Buddy after his bath. That way, he'll learn to like getting clean! :)

Just use a clean washcloth and some lukewarm water. You could add just a small dab of cat-safe soap to the water if you want.
The idea is that the soap would help get off some of the more stubborn dust or pollen that sticks to Buddy's fur. Just use a couple-three drops of soap in a bowl of warm water. Not too much!

We use Dr. Bronner's soap for just about everything around the house.
The only thing that could, potentially, cause a problem for cats is the scents (such as peppermint oil) that some versions of Dr. Bronner soaps have in them. Luckly, they make an unscented "Baby Mild" version that doesn't have anything in it except soap.

I'd say that a small bottle of Dr. Bronner "Baby Mild", a clean cloth and a bowl of water would be good to use! :)
It'll save money, in the long run, and, once your cat gets used to having a sponge bath every day, he might even learn to like it! :D

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do a warm washcloth because why add more chemicals to your cat’s for & why spend money on it needlessly. Plus I.G. is better for the environment.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to avoid a soap/water and rinse process
That's the reason why I suggested using only a few drops of soap. You won't have to worry about getting it all off, afterward.

Dr. Bronner's is a castile soap, made with just plant oils that have been turned into soap. There's nothing in the "Baby Mild" version except soap. That's why I like to use it.

Castile soap is pretty effective at removing dirt, even at low dilutions. I also use it to shower with and it only takes one squirt on the palm of my hand to wash my whole-self. Three drops in a bowl of warm water would be plenty to wash a cat with. It would be so diluted that, even if your cat licked himself, afterward, the amount that might be left on his fur would be harmless.

Honestly, the soap is just a suggestion. Just a plain, wet cloth would probably be sufficient for daily wipe-downs. You could save the soap for times when you think your cat needs a little extra.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all! I will see if he will let me do the warm washcloth. If yes, then will pick up some Dr. Bronner's. If the washcloth isn't acceptable to Buddy, I will try to get some of the unscented wipes.