Unruly kitty

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This will probably be a long and rambling story. I have been trying to think of a short way to word it for a few weeks. I have a kitten (John Jacob) I found in July, he's about 7 months old now and will be neutered this week or next at the latest. The problem is that he eats crazy crazy fast like a wild maniac and it seems to be getting worse. I do have two different slow food bowls which sem to help. However now he's trying to open cabinets to get to the cat food and treats. He also attacked our loaf of wheat bread,and almost swallowed a plastic sample pack of Primal food(that's a "treat" he sometimes gets. He usually eats Best Feline Friends or Stella and Chewys( I have two other cats of different ages and health issues and also feed a feral colony daily so we keep a variety of food in the house). John Jacob also ate a complete foil pack of forti flora once too. He's been to the vet and did have a tummy virus last month but his behavior towards food seems to be getting worse. He starts growling when we take away whatever he shouldn't be eating. I've been trying to cat proof the kitchen and put the treats in containers but now he's lunging at the cabinet doors where the treats and food is! Today he lunged at a pizza and yesterday he did a "drive-by" (ran super crazy fast) and grabbed a bunch of lo mien noodles off my girlfriends plate and swallowed them crazy fast. I admit all this does make for some comedic moments lol but I would like to fix the issue. All suggestions are appreciated and we would never ever give him up so if you think it will only get worse and it can't be fixed then let me know. All we'll do is toss our heads back and cry "charlie brown style"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot some facts that might help: he was found outside in 100plus weather injured and starving and may have been abused(we think he came from the "bad" house on the block) and he's strictly indoors since I rescued him.Also he meows crazy loud especially when he hears or sees anything that might be food,like when I open a pill bottle or even unwrap noisy plastic like DVD movie wrapping. I have to harness him or close kitchen door during feeding time because he will lung and claw and jump on counter as I get the food ready. Jumps into kitchen cabinets and digs his claws into the shelf,making removing him a difficult and dangerous task

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This could be a weird form of pica. Pica is when cats start eating and sucking things they shouldn't be.
Wool is a common one. Chewing your clothes but it's not just material. It could be coal if you still use it and I'm sure people here know much more than I do. This might need to be talked over with a therapist. Is it not possible to close doors when you're eating so he can't disturb. Locks on cupboards and fridges. These things are used for babies too. Does she have dry food that she can graze on during the day? Mine graze on dry during the whole day and night and they have half a tin of wet food before bed.
Speak to the vet again. Did he check for worms. Did he take bloods. Exrays etc. And sfk.......I was going to suggest he refer you to a therapist buy maybe eirf of mouth is better but very good luck. I'd like to hear what happens please
:nod:

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. We CAN close the door but then loud nonstop meowing begins and I do close the door when we cook,make coffee and anything involving the stove. We're just used to having pretty calm cats who have free range over all. We had been avoiding locks and hooks because we rent and didn't want to alter anything however we were recently told the building was sold and we have to move next year (they're going to build $$$$$ rentals but that's another story) so we probably will put locks later this week. Whenever we open the kitchen door we have get in there crazy fast cuz John Jacob will coming running like a bat out of hell lol. Oh and he has ZERO interest in cabinets and drawers in other rooms,just the kitchen. I put most of the treats and food in shatterproof plastic containers today but I still have some more to seal up. We can't leave any food out for grazing cuz he will eat it all immediately. He did have worms when we found him but he got two rounds of meds and was cured. He has had a full bloodwork panel done but no xrays except on the injured paw.Ha he just bolted into the kitchen and jumped in a cabinet right before this reply. Luckily I work from home all except maybe 20 days out of the year so I'm able to keep an eye on him. I just hate closing the kitchen door because my other two cats love to be looking out on the porch and a stray we're working to catch spends most of the day peeking in :)

faery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have slow feed bowls already, but have you tried treat balls? Not only would that slow down his feeding...it would give him something to do while he eats.

You can also try child proof locks for your cabinets (I'd suggest the kind that hook on handles and they tend to keep the cabinet door from opening at all...where as the inside bars let a cabinet open a small amount and being so driven he may try to stick his head in that opening).

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Although I realize what a pain he can be, I must admit I laughed while reading the story.

What is he eating and how much? His food, I mean, not what he steals. My first option would be to find out if he is eating the proper amount of food for his age and weight. Kittens go through growth spurts and they have a tendency to eat like little elephants in those periods.

After that, I am considering something behavioral - if he is full but he still ambushes and steals the food he finds, maybe it is some sort of game, it is fun and entertaining - not only that he is hunting for prey (bread, noodles, etc) but he also has your attention when he does it.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he came from an abusive home maybe hw was starved and that's the reason for this food mania. As I said an animal behaviourist may be able to help.

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm pretty sure he did. I'm going to start searching for animal behaviorist in the area and give that avenue a try. He's a sweet cuddly kitty and we hope to help him overcome whatever abuse he went through. Thank you again. I'll post again if anything changes

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I have to admit we do laugh at his exploits and us rushing into the kitchen as if we are being chasing by a vicious lion,does look funny. He eats several times a day, usually Best Feline Friends or Stella and Chewys. The vet says his weight is ok(6 something pounds). The kitty in my profile pic isn't the offender :)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hope this problem can be solved especially as he's s cuddly kitty. Keep us posted. :vibes:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I realize what a pain he can be, I must admit I laughed while reading the story.

What is he eating and how much? His food, I mean, not what he steals. My first option would be to find out if he is eating the proper amount of food for his age and weight. Kittens go through growth spurts and they have a tendency to eat like little elephants in those periods.

After that, I am considering something behavioral - if he is full but he still ambushes and steals the food he finds, maybe it is some sort of game, it is fun and entertaining - not only that he is hunting for prey (bread, noodles, etc) but he also has your attention when he does it.
This. And I literally LOL'd too!

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh in the pic he's resting in an LLBEAN pet bed. I was standing over him when I took the pic

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes ,he's lying down. Today the two treat balls arrived and so far he's pretty entertained. Earlier he did blast past me (it's a bad back day for me so i am moving slower than usual)to get into the kitchen when I opened the door. He jumped in the sink but it was empty so he jumped right out.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any luck finding an animal therapist?
About 20 years ago I asked one to come. I was stunned that we actually had them here all those years ago.
They do such strange things. Whisky does kitteny things he never did until blighty came.
My bathroom is very small. I have a toilet, bath, sink and stand under shower. I use the shower a. Because I hate baths and b. Because no water comes out of the taps in the bath and I can't afford to fix it.
So I put all my stuff on the sink when I shower. I use a very rough sponge which I put into the sink. I don't close the door as I'm claustrophobic under the water. Soooo on day I'd washed my hair and conditioned it, went to get the sponge and it wasn't there. Whisky had stolen it. There was I running around in my birthday suit all wet to get it back.
Now all of a sudden he's jumping on everything that's very high including my cupboard that holds hundreds of my little ceramic kitties and elephants plus other little chitkas.
It's not fixed to the wall.
Right now he's on my lap under a fleece. Winter has finally turned up. Rain wind storms and snow in Jerusalem.

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far I only found one for cat, I found many more for dogs. I will be emailing her by Saturday. I didn't work from home the full day today, so I sealed up the kitchen and headed out. When I got back home everything was in its place, but he made a dash for a tomato sauce can I opened lol.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats seem to be so unimportant compared to cats. I hope she'll reply quickly.

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Late last night/early this morning John Jacob threw up 4 times. We took him to the vet and he is still there. They said he had an elevated level of a bacteria. He will be home soon.Sorry, on a quick work break,more details later