Unprovoked Cat Aggression (Help!)

aldebaran

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live with my fiance and three cats. One of the cats was originally mine (Karma), one was originally his (Mouse), and then there's one we acquired together (Theo). We've been in this living situation for a couple years now.

In general, Mouse doesn't like other cats. She absolutely hates Karma, even after two years of trying different strategies to encourage them to get along (introducing them slowly, and using Feliway diffusers). The majority of the time she will tolerate Theo, and they even groom each other from time to time, but it took a long time to get to this point. Mouse is very territorial, but not about any specific place in the house. She's mainly concerned with guarding her personal space. If Karma gets within a few feet of her, even by accident, she will growl and hiss. She also does this to Theo, unless she's in a particularly good mood.

There tend to be quite a few stare-down matches between Mouse and Karma, and often one of them will guard the exit to a room, and won't let the other by. They usually get into a fight at least once a day, when one of them is caught off guard, and the other uses the opportunity to attack. It is very stressful for me to be constantly breaking up fights. If one of them runs for any reason (chasing a toy, for example), the other usually decides that it's an opportunity to chase, and this results in an ugly confrontation. It's not a happy coexistence. So far, when this happens, I break them up by making loud, startling noises and using a squirt bottle on the aggressor (which is usually Mouse, although Karma has learned to retaliate), but it doesn't seem to make a difference, and it always reoccurs. I have also tried "scruffing", to no avail. They don't mind eating next to each other, and they don't guard the litter boxes, so it doesn't seem like it's a fight for resources. Also, we have plenty of space in our house, so I don't think that's the problem.

But here's the bigger problem: Mouse is also occasionally aggressive towards people. Once she finds a comfortable spot to camp (like in front of a door, on someone's lap, or somewhere else that's inconvenient for people for a long time period), she resents being moved, and growls or hisses if we push her away, or if she's physically reprimanded (by scruffing her, for example), or when she's backed into a corner for any reason. Generally this is as far as this has gone, though, and she hasn't actually attacked us during these instances. A few times, however, she has been more violent. Once, I was restraining her to trim her nails (which she doesn't like much, but will occasionally tolerate), when she started screaming and biting like nothing I had ever heard, and reached up and repeatedly swiped at my face, leaving several long, bleeding scratches. And while that was upsetting, it didn't compare to what happened today:

I don't fully understand this, and am still quite shaken up. I was sitting on my couch, and had just received a frustrating phone call. Once I got off the phone, I laid face-down on the couch, and letting out my frustration, screamed into a pillow. Something about my screaming caused Mouse to run over to me and start mauling the back of my head. I sat up in shock, and she launched herself at me, multiple times, scratching and biting. For a few seconds, she continued to attack me (and was trying to get at my face), until I grabbed a pillow to use as a shield, and was able to squirt her with the squirt bottle. She left several deep cuts and puncture wounds across my arms, but fortunately none on my head/face.

I have no idea what would cause this. Did she think my screaming was an angry cat noise? Was she trying to attack me because 1) she hates me, and 2) my face was hidden and I couldn't see her (She usually waits to attack Karma til her back is turned)? I'm really worried that this will happen again-- that something will set her off, and I will have no warning.

How common is it for non-feral cats to be this violent towards people? I know that dogs who attack humans are usually put down, and while I don't want that for her, I would like to find her a new home. However, despite her behavior, my fiance can't bear the thought of giving her up, and still thinks we can find a way to change her behavior (medication, perhaps?). We're planning on having children down the road, and if she would do this to me because I made a high-pitched sound, I imagine she might do the same to a crying baby. Any advice? What is the best option?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, I'm really sorry.
I think it's sweet you want to find a way to work this out.

As to her launch at you this afternoon, it could easily have been the screaming. Certain pitches can set off some cats, and this can be a problem with babies. What others have suggested (and it seems to work) is to de-sensitive your kitty to the sound of babies crying by playing videos on You Tube. Also, when you have the baby, your then DH should bring a towel the baby was wrapped in home ASAP to get kitties used to the smell of the new baby.

...but that doesn't help now.

The first thing that pops to mind is - is your kitty healthy? You sure she's not in pain? Some cats get aggressive when they're in pain.

As to the kitties with each other, do you have much vertical space? Cat trees, multi-tiered cat condos and the such can really help diffuse cat territory issues. Do they get played with a lot? Do you have window seats up? Maybe put up bird feeders (we use the ones that stick on the windows) - stuff to draw them away from the tight places. We had a lot of cats coming and going for a while and live in a really small space (an RV) - and we have issues sometimes. What we did was to buy those cement forming tubes they sell at Home Depot or other DIY construction places - they're 8" in diameter - they may have wider ones if your space can manage it. We bought long strips of carpet remnants, and taped them down the length of the tube (for traction). We set those tubes in "tight" places like the hallway (sticking out into each end - we don't close doors) so kitties can pass each other without actually encountering each other.

Did you do scent swapping? When we rescued Billy a little over a year ago, he was almost 2 years old. Lazlo was 7, and our alpha. He'd never had much of a problem with any other intro - but for whatever reason, he did not like Billy. He never really attacked him so much as rush at him like he was going to attack. Had Bill not been as submissive as he is, it would have been fight city. It took a good 6 - 8 months, but we just kept at it. We have two bowls out of which they free feed, and we rubbed both Lazlo and Billy all over with a couple of rags. We put one under one of the dishes, and one under the other dish. We always gave Lazlo attention first, played with him first - and any time Billy was around, we'd give Lazlo a lot of attention. We'd keep new toys he loves (for him it's feather wand toys) and every once in a while break out a new one - when Billy would walk into the room and Lazlo wouldn't stare him down, we'd praise him to high heaven, play with him, and put treats down for him on a rag that smelled like Billy. Basically, we used positive reinforcement (praising him for not chasing Billy when Bill got near) and positive association (Billy's scent on treats and under the food) - and when he chased down Bill, we'd pick up Lazlo and put him in the bathroom for a 5-minute time-out. We'd talk to him on the way to the bathroom and tell him why he was going in there - he didn't need to be nice to Bill, he just needed to be able to ignore him. After 5 minutes, we'd open the door without looking at him and walk away without saying anything. So he was learning that chasing down Bill got him isolated and ignored.

I would lose the water squirt bottle. All it ever really does is piss off the cat - and the association is not the fighting, but anger at you. And potentially cause an ear infection.

Cats really don't learn well by "punishment," such as scruffing or whatever. Cats are all about "what's in it for me," so redirecting them works much better. Instead of pushing them away - if on a lap, just stand up. If on the couch where you want to sit, use treats or a wand toy to lure her off. Also - having cat furniture (trees or condos or whatever) may help. The other thing you can do, if you're willing, is just use throws. We use throws to cover the furniture because I'm allergic to cats, and they're easy to toss in the washer each week. But they have the added benefit of keeping the furniture cat-hair free without vacuuming, so when company comes over, we just fold them up, shove 'em in a closet - and no cat hair!
But in your case, they may come in handy, because then you just slide the throw - you're not directly pushing the cat.

But remember - cats are very much like little children in an important way. They need to know what it is you want, not just what you don't want. They learn MUCH better by understanding what you want and what they're doing right - thus by positive reinforcement - than by just being told "no" all the time. Even if she understands you don't want her attacking Karma - she gets much more out of not attacking Karma if she gets praised and all kinds of attention like play or treats for not doing that.

Of course, this doesn't change overnight. Like I said - it took 6-9 months with Lazlo and Bill. But Bill's been here a year now, and while Lazlo will stare him down every once in a while, he no longer runs at him, no longer bops him, and we actually caught him grooming Billy the other day.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aldebaran

She left several deep cuts and puncture wounds across my arms, but fortunately none on my head/face.
You need to see a doctor ASAP. With one bite you may get lucky and miss serious infection, but with multiple bites you're going to run out of luck. If a cat bite is not treated you face very serious infection that can cause limb lost or even death - even with treatment there will be infection that must be treated with antibiotics.

Because it's escalated into serious physical harm for you I suggest you get Mouse to a vet for a full check up and discuss her behavior with the vet. If they can put you in contact with a feline behavioralist - even better. If not, you may have to search around and do a phone or email consult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aldebaran

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! LDG-- Those are some really great ideas. Since I posted, we've taken her to the vet to check for any medical issues, and everything checked out okay, so I've mainly been working on positive reinforcement, and that seems to be helping a bit. I've been praising her whenever she doesn't hiss when the other cats are near, and just giving her more attention when she's acting nice, and we've actually gone a few days without any fights, and substantially less hissing & growling.

They also referred us to a behaviorist who makes house calls, so we might try that at some point too.

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it`s a cat and not just a weid-looking dog?
Joking,of course. Alley,my 8 mn old,sometimes will play attack the back of my leg when she`s in her "wild kitty"/play mode...and sometimes out of the blue.Pretty sure it is just play but I`ve had to start curbing it by using little sprays of water since she was getting carried away!

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that Mouse sees you as a threat because you have been disciplining her. The loud startling noises, the squirting with the water, and the scruffing make her afraid of you. She probably attacked because you looked vulnerable. I don't think it was so much out of spite but out of self-defense, even though you weren't attacking her at the time. Cats need to work things out between themselves sometimes. It would be good if someone else could trim her claws so she wouldn't have another reason to hate you and wouldn't be able to do so much damage as well (to you or the other cats). Then try being nice and she may decide that you are no longer a threat. Cats need a certain amount of space as well. If you live in a small place then there might not be enough territory for each cat to have a reasonable sized portion.

I am impressed that you want to work things out. I think a lot of people would just bring their cat to a shelter at this point and leave them for dead. I admire your dedication especially after the attack. It is hard to understand how animals think, since it is so different from us. I hope you can find a resolution that is suitable to everyone.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that used to be just like this, if not worse. Callie sent me to the hopital twice needing stitches. Her thing was to sit in the hallway or a doorway, any small space where she couldn't easily be passed, and attack anything or anyone that tried. She mostly only got my feet and legs but like I said the scratches were bad enough to require stitches. She was also super aggressive to other cats. Generally, she was a monster. It was like she was possessed. Even sometimes if you were in the bathroom on the toilet she'd come in and headbutt your leg and start purring but if you reached down to pet her she'd try to take your hand off, hissing and screaming and growling the whole time. Then she'd walk away purring again. Eventually she got so bad we had to lock her in the bedroom during the day to protect the other cats, and in the bathroom at night so she didn't attack us in our sleep. God forbid you had to pee in the middle of the night though, there were times I was trapped in the bathroom until morning because she wouldn't let me pass without hurting me.

Sorry this isn't much help, but I'm not sure what changed in her. We started leaving her in the bedroom instead of switching her to the bathroom at night. Around the same time one of my other cats gave birth. Callie took to the kittens right away, she doted on them like a mother. I don't know if it was that or that by locking her in the bedroom she had a space all her own, I'm not sure. But she's much better now. She's still a little uptight, doesn't like to be picked up or snuck up on but she hasn't attacked anyone, human or feline, in months.

Maybe you could try seperating Mouse like we did with Callie? Like I said it could have been the newborn kittens but other people have mentioned Mouse's issue could be a "territory" thing, so why not give it a shot? At first she was LOCKED in and didn't have a choice but after a while we could leave the door open and she'd stay in there, and the other cats kind of respected that it was her space. Also, we gave lots of positive reinforcement for allowing us to pet her, or pass her in the hallway without a fight.