Unpredictable Un-approachable Cat Behaviour....

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

Not sure if you all seen my post last week about my cat and how far we've came since I got him and was learning as a first time Cat Mom.

Well I've really bonded with my Cat in lots of ways but as the title of my post says.....he can still be really un-approachable and unpredictable!!
I hear you all say well isn't that all Cats, yes I suppose it is but I hear how loving and how cuddly most of yours can be too......ive not got that with Garfield.

I have accepted that is more than fine and just who he is as a cat, thats his personality and that our bond is he likes to sleep, sit or lay near but not close to me or not right by me or not snuggled in and he likes to go out lots when he can as he loves the outdoors! I say he's a typical boy lol

But (get to the point I hear u say) times like when I need to flea treat him I have to plan how and when I can get to him to treat him as he won't just sit there an allow me, he whacks out at me.
I found a tick the other week in him (even thou he'd been treated) an he wouldn't let me get it properly so I had to try catch him an wrap him in a towel to stop him from scratching us and my dad got it out using the tool, he won't let me check him for more I just have to stoke him as an when I can to see if I can feel one

AND THEN TONIGHT.....

He was laying stretched out near me on his blanket on my bed and looking at me like trying to get my attention....i have false nails on an likes me stroking (when he feels like) so i had been stroking for ages, one side of his face down from his mouth to the back of his jaw and he was purring really loud an so relaxed, he then rolled over to his other side an I did the same an he was laying really relaxed an still purring really loud (no tail wagging as a wsrning) and then after 3 strikes on that side out of no where he just grabbed my hand with his both paws and his claws out! He realised what he did an jumped up straight away an sat wide eyed looking at me. It's really hurt an scratched me though and I don't know what I did wrong!?

It actually really upset me an un-nerved me to be honest.

He got down an sat on the landing while I washed an seen to my hand and he's now sat back on the end of my bed grooming himself but
I just don't know what to do with him or what I did or am doing so wrong!?

All advice always appreciated xx

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn’t do anything wrong. Some cats, mine included will get overstimulated, especially if your rub their belly or sides and start to grab you to play bite when you pet them. Your guy recognized what he was doing and stopped, which is what you want him to do. If he doesn’t, you do a very firm no, or no biting and then you immediately withdraw your hand and attention from him.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the fact that he realized what he did and immediately was like "oh crap" shows he's learning that this isn't nice behavior.
I would probably just leave him sit for a few minutes after stuff like this happens. For one, he will calm down. Two, he'll learn that when he does that, you stop petting him, something he was enjoying thoroughly based on your description. Three, since he seems to realize what he's done, it will give him a minute or two to process it and store it in his little memory bank.
We have a little girl here that loves to play bite/play claw. And I say "play bite and play claw" because she learned that biting hard and clawing hard meant whomever she was playing with decided she was no fun and up and left her and she found herself with no one to play with.
We were never able to break her of this, but she'll reach out and get your hand in her mouth, not bite down. She's thinking and knows latching down is not good. Same with her claws, she'll bat us but is very cautious about keeping her claws retracted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies.

I just got a little unnerved as he hasn't hurt me like that in ages as I've learnt his warning signs.
He was good an did realise what he had done but seemed a silly thing to do when he seemed to be enjoying it so much! I think I need to learn of this overstimulation behaviour you speak of!

We are ok it's just crazy his personality seems a real mixed bag as he seems to be really close to me, loves to play chase when I get home from work. He always follows me wherever I go round the house and like I say if I'm upstairs he will sit with me an sleep.
He rubs on my legs when I'm about to feed him and lays on my feet when I'm sleeping or on the floor next to my side of the bed. Which I know all proves a really strong bond so it does unnerve me when he lashes out but I know he's just being a cat.
I just wondered if (beside what I'm doing when he does lash out which is take my hand straight away and stop interaction) there was anything else I can do to help him relax an enjoy his time around me a little more rather than what I can only describe as seeming a little on edge. Maybe he feels my feeling of anticipation in case he lashes out, I'm not sure!

Thanks again for your replies x

Pixie_kitttie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat will do this too, she will lay there purring stretched out against me so I can pet her, then with no warning (like your cat, not even a tail swish) she'll grab my hand with claws and bite. I read also told it is from overstimulation, I just wish she'd give a warning.