Unpleasant conversation with coworker

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
TW: Animal harm
Hey guys,
So I have this coworker who I sometimes talk to during break. His whole demeanor sometimes comes off a little aggressive toward other people though he has never said anything to offend me and my other female coworker. Anyway straight to the point. I was making coffee and I placed my phone on the counter while I waited for the keurig to finish brewing. He just so happened to also want some coffee so we chatted for a bit. My phone screen lit up & he saw that I had a pic of my cat and my daughter together. He then asked me about her, to which I said “yes, that’s my big baby (referring to my daughter) and my other baby (my cat)” well, he said “man I f***n hate cats.” I said “well I love them, I’ve had them my whole life so I’ve always been a cat lady.” I still can’t get over what he said “I hate them. My room mates moved out. Their cat took a sh** on my floor and as soon as I seen that I grabbed it by the neck and threw that f***r out the window. It went through the screen and landed in the middle of the street. My room mates even had to miss work for that!” He then started laughing and i think he was also expecting me to laugh as well. I wish I could have told him off but I kept my cool and said I would never hurt my cat just because he poops or pees outside his little box, and that’s a terrible way to treat an animal. And he then said “idgaf, that’s how I did it with my dog, and that’s how they learn”. And I said “that’s not how they learn.” I just got my coffee and walked away. I honestly don’t even want to chat with this coworker anymore. I was upset. I know this has nothing to do with me, but just the way he said what he said and laughed bothered the hell out of me. He said it so proudly, too. I wish I could avoid this guy, but unfortunately I see him every day. I have zero respect for anyone who hurts other living beings. If anything he should have confronted the roommates. If my cat were to escape and poop on someone else’s property I would prefer said person to knock at my door and notify me. I’ll clean the poop myself. But I think I would lose my mind it if someone were to hurt him.
Edited for grammar and repeated words (using phone).

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think he was serious or just trying to push your buttons since he saw the pic on your phone screen? On the other hand, if he obviously knows you love cats and is not only rude but inconsiderate then I'd avoid, ignore and stay away from him. It's not worth the confrontation.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you handled the situation very well, responding calmly and truthfully in the face of someone who sounds like a cruel bully. It does leave you with the nagging feeling: could this happen again? How to stop another cat from going through another window? At least you know YOU have compassion and love for living creatures. I suspect they flock to you, given the chance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you think he was serious or just trying to push your buttons since he saw the pic on your phone screen? On the other hand, if he obviously knows you love cats and is not only rude but inconsiderate then I'd avoid, ignore and stay away from him. It's not worth the confrontation.
I really hope he wasn’t serious because if he was, then he is a royal pos, excuse my language. I didn’t even know he feels that way about them. Usually it’s a hi and bye, or a good morning. But this completely threw me off guard, as I wasnt expecting him to say that. Especially after asking me if the little girl in the picture was my daughter. Maybe I shouldn’t have said “my other baby” referring to my cat. I wouldn’t have had to hear that nonsense. In a way this revealed his true colors.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how I would react in this situation. Could you report him for harassment to the boss or workplace health and safety?

Emotional abuse or psycological harassment is a form of harassment ie bullying. It's pretty obvious this guy was trying to get a raction from you. His story may not even be true for all you know.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you handled the situation very well, responding calmly and truthfully in the face of someone who sounds like a cruel bully. It does leave you with the nagging feeling: could this happen again? How to stop another cat from going through another window? At least you know YOU have compassion and love for living creatures. I suspect they flock to you, given the chance.
According to him, his roommates freaked out on him (and they had every right to) & moved out. I am not sure what happened to the cat. I didn’t even want to know. I can imagine being flung through the screen of a window and landing in the street will cause great harm to a cat. The whole conversation just made me very upset and uncomfortable. I didn’t even want to know anything more. I just grabbed my coffee and walked off.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know how I would react in this situation. Could you report him for harassment to the boss or workplace health and safety?

Emotional abuse or psycological harassment is a form of harassment ie bullying. It's pretty obvious this guy was trying to get a raction from you. His story may not even be true for all you know.
From what I know (and heard) he’s known for being vile towards other males. There’s 3 females (but 1 works night shift when he’s off). He has not said anything to offend me and the other coworker. This in particular did piss me off. I’m not sure if they would consider this harassment though?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know how things work in the US, but I'd file that experience away so that you could mention it should there be other issues with him. I'm not sure it's enough on its own, as it wasn't a direct threat or harassment of you, even though we may consider it to be.

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know how things work in the US, but I'd file that experience away so that you could mention it should there be other issues with him. I'm not sure it's enough on its own, as it wasn't a direct threat or harassment of you, even though we may consider it to be.
Will do. I didn’t feel threatened nor harassed by him. Just that comment alone bothered the hell out of me, especially because I don’t even know him That well our encounters usually Consist of hi, bye, how you doing, etc and just small
Talk. But after today, I’m just going to avoid or ignore him. .

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
That guy definitely has mental issues, people who treat animals cruelly are not right in the head
Definitely. As others posts have mentioned, he may just be lying, which I hope that’s the case. And if he is lying then he still sick in the head because why on earth would he want to make this up? To sound like a tough guy? He made himself look a fool laughing by himself after telling me that. He was expecting me to laugh as well but he really just made himself look like an a-hole.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
That guy definitely has mental issues, people who treat animals cruelly are not right in the head

Definitely. As others posts have mentioned, he may just be lying, which I hope that’s the case. And if he is lying then he still sick in the head because why on earth would he want to make this up? To sound like a tough guy? He made himself look a fool laughing by himself after telling me that. He was expecting me to laugh as well but he really just made himself look like an a-hole.

It’s a red flag for sure. The fact that he said he would do the same to a dog speaks to his disregard for other living beings. This has been shown to be an indicator of psychosis. His treatment of other coworkers would seem to support this. Keep your distance as much as possible, but definitely document other noticed behaviors. Compare notes with others, and if it’s a pattern, go to HR. This person is creating a toxic environment

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether he's telling the truth or lying just to show off his 'masculinity' he is someone to be avoided at all costs. If he's that way around animals, he's not someone you want to be around, and if he's lying...well how can you ever trust him?

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just ignore him if he comes up to chat with you just say gotta scoot have a good one. I had a co-worker similiar to that and I just used that phrase a few times when he started a conversation and he got the message. No harm no foul and no dealing with a jerk.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You were very composed.

I agree with the above. Report him.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with you calling your cat, "your other baby." Lots of people say things like that. It's not his business.

Last edited: