unneutered male with spayed female

jenny2786

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I take care of a feral cat felony. I got the mother and three kittens neutered. The father whoI never was abke to get was tryung to hump one of the cats I got neutered. Is this normal? I assumed the tom cat would leave them alone.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Jenny,

No, if he's intact he'll still keep trying to mate with the girls and he'll keep wandering off to look for an intact female too.

Neutered males do sometimes try to scruff and mount other cats, it's mainly a show of dominance, but if Dad still hasn't been fixed that's probably what is going on.

If you still have access to a trap you could try setting it up with the door tied open and using it to feed the colony in for a week or so until they get used to it being there. Once they are comfortable going in you could set it and try to get the tom cat fixed too.

Persistence will win in the end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny2786

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great. I started feeding in a large cage and I will set up the trap tommorow. Dad was again chasing the unneutered cat. I am just so hesitant if I'll be abke to get the dad. I was thinking of using a net for the female cat. Any other ideas?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Unless you can actually pick up the female cat I wouldn't recommend a net. It's much harder to net them cleanly than you think. If she gets a leg caught and you have to go and untangle her you could both gets some nasty injuries.

A humane trap is the safest way to do it. Are there any TNR groups in your area that could help you? If you Google Alley Cat Allies you might find someone you can borrow a trap from.

If Dad hasn't been trapped before it shouldn't be too difficult to catch him. I use KFC for bait with the more reluctant ones. No cat can resist the smell of hot fried chicken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny2786

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she wasn't going into the traps. I used a large cage and attached string! It worked! Next step is to catch the dad! Thanks for your advice!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, she wasn't going into the traps. I used a large cage and attached string! It worked! Next step is to catch the dad! Thanks for your advice!
This is such great news!!!  I hope you can get the male next.  He may be harder, but keep trying.  The others who have recently been trapped shouldn't want to go anywhere near the traps again for awhile!!