Unneutered Cat Behaviour To Just Neutered Friend

gusandjohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I just had my 1 year old male cat neutered, I also have a 10 month old male that I was going to get done at the same time but didn't just in case extra costs came up and they did so I will have to wait for a couple weeks before he gets his neuter. The guy who was neutered ended up having one testicale and they other was stuck in his abdomen so he had to have surgery to remove it as they said it will start tangling with his instestines if left and he did well. His friend was worried all day where he went and when he got home the unneutered guy was terrified of him I think it's the e collar freaking him out he was making human sounding screams and won't go near him than later he attacked him so I moved him away and he sounded like a person saying no no no no so he's really scared of him I've only seen utube cats do that when owners scare them. I kept them separate in the night and watched over them the next day and he's not as scared but he's lurking around and tried to pounce on him again so I'm keeping them apart for now. Am I right to think it's just the e collar causing him to be afraid or is it that he's neutered now so he's a target and is going to be bullied until I get the other one neutered. The neutered guy has totally changed back to a nice boy again he started being very moody and hated me and every night he would chase me around and try to fight me and if I sat down he would sneak up behind my head and make scary meows and try to bite my head he was like a scary night monster now he's happy and lazy and isn't any of that stuff. It got so bad I had to shut him in a room so I could sleep cause he would creep around and out of nowhere he would just be next to me making those scary meows and bite me. I hope he stays nice like this, also he's petite I heard neutering will make them gain weight is this true? He eats a good amount but he's smaller than the younger cat and I would love it if he gained some weight.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cat buddies come back smelling like the vet ... which freaks the resident(s) cat out. I would suggest keeping them separate for a couple of days (or why he has to wear the collar of shame ;) ) and then reintroducing them over some nice yummy treats. Besides them being separate will help you recently neutered guy from over doing it and hurting himself.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: Also, your newly-neutered guy will be covered in 'scary vet smell'. Before you get them back together, rub each cat down with the other's scent so they smell familiar again. Adding a little vanilla extract to the cloth can help too.

Remember to stay calm and relaxed yourself too - any tension on your part will only feed into their anxieties.