Unknown cat won't leave my house

ginny10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So there is this cat who is super sweet sitting on my porch right in front of the door, meowing. I have never seen this cat before, though he does look and act just like my cat that died 8 years ago. He walked right into our house, like nothing was at all strange and is acting just like he belongs to us. My dad made us put him back outside, though. Yet he's just sitting there. I gave him some food, but he didn't seem too interested. He's been at our house a few hours now. He seems healthy enough, I can't see any bones and his hair (short) is full. While petting him I did notice a few little scabs, but they were quite small and seemed to be healing well.

After I came back inside after feeding him, my cat was waiting and staring me down. I tried to pet her but she just started hissing as soon as she smelled my hand. Then she started making those angry cat meowing noises and wouldn't let me touch her. She's calmed down a bit now (been about 45 min since I came inside), but she is still acting a a little cold towards me. This type of behavior isn't like her, I've pet and fed plenty of strays and she never cared, she even befriends them.

My sister's cat didn't respond to him at all, which is strange since she is the one who usually attacks strays. She is the sister of my cat that died 8 years ago, so maybe in some way or another she thinks, like I do, that he is a lot like he was.

I don't really know what's going on, all the cats are acting stange. Does anyone know what is up with any of these cat's behaviors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginny10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I hope the image shows up. I just noticed this on the stray. It is on his front leg and is a bit bigger than a dollar coin.

ginny10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I looked it up and it seems like cutaneous horn. I'm no vet and I've never seen this beofre, though, so I don't know for sure.

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the cat is a pretty good weight and doesn't seem sick I'd just leave it alone. It probably lives in a house nearby, and on it's adventures it found some nice humans and a nice porch to visit. There was a cat who lived on my college campus who would just prance into the dorm halls in the winter, and one of my own cats made her introduction to the family by coming into our open kitchen window at night. Some cats just feel comfortable going into new houses.

Last edited:

ginny10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So he's still here, and it has just started snowing. I think I'm going to put a heat lamp over our dog kennel outside for him. So he can stay warm in there.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is very nice! A cat popping up on the front door from nowhere.

Like a Fairy Tale!

Indeed, cats fur is not a warm blanket. Cat;s fur does not defend them against cold weather. It is good idea to place a heat lamp on the convenient place.

ginny10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So he's still hanging about our house, not meowing at the door as much, but always on our property. We did notice that he has pretty bad fleas and gave him some flea stuff (medicine, repellent, i don't know what it's called). My parents agreed that if he stays till Monday we'll take him to the vet and adopt him.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So he's still hanging about our house, not meowing at the door as much, but always on our property. We did notice that he has pretty bad fleas and gave him some flea stuff (medicine, repellent, i don't know what it's called). My parents agreed that if he stays till Monday we'll take him to the vet and adopt him.
That's what he's waiting for. [emoji]128526[/emoji]

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat walked right out of my unit into the neighbor's and plopped down and chilled on their daughter's bed while they were moving in. 

Some cats. Sheesh.

Lucky when I got back from looking for him they were all hey is this yours?

Sounds like you got a new cat.

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it's only been a few days, perhaps go ask your neighbors if a member of the family is missing?  Does not sound like a stray. Could have gotten lost. The vet will probably check if he's microchipped. Of course, it's very nice of you to care for your new furry friend.