Units of measure confusion- egg yolk being the topic

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading up on egg yolks (trying to find out how much B vitamins they supply) I discovered that egg yolks have a lot of vitamin A. Concerned about how much vitamin A, I went looking for more information. I found this article in feline-nutrition.org. But the two tables have me even more confused.

In table one, the nutrition of the egg yolk is listed, and it tells us that one large egg yolk (17 grams which I had to convert into ounces, .59 oz)contains 245 IU of vitamin A.

Table two lists some of the daily requirements for cats, and vitamin A is listed as 63 mcg.

So how the heck am I supposed to figure out if .35 oz of egg yolk three times a week is giving a cat too much Vitamin A, when the two tables aren't even using the same units of measure?

Can anyone help?

I have more questions about egg yolk, after this one is answered. Thanks.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
otto, the maximum amount of vitamin A as per AAFCO is 750,000iu/kg of food (dry matter basis).

The maximum amount of vitamin A as per FEDIAF (the EU equivalent of AAFCO) is 400,000iu/kg of food (dry matter basis).

Flowerbelle gets 10% liver in her diet, and with the weekly egg yolk, her amount of vitamin A is 25,704iu/kg (dmb). I can increase her vitamin A intake by approximately 2,800% before we hit the maximum recommended amount by AAFCO, and I can increase her vitamin A intake by 1,456% before hitting the maximum recommended vitamin A as per FEDIAF. These numbers are both far more liver than she can eat day in, day out!

The only known vitamin A toxicity in cats is a cat that was eating a liver only diet.

You can safely feed both more liver and several egg yolks a week without even beginning to approach the maximum recommended amounts of either organization.