Unique situation re introducing cats to each other (4 at once to existing 2)

silmarien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a largish studio apartment and had two existing kittens (5 months and 7 weeks).  I ended up looking for a third cat and wound up with four! I know, bad move, but it's done.  Now I only have one room that closes off from the main room (the bathroom), and I have the two older cats in there (2yrs and 1yr) and I let the 7 month old orange tabbies run in the main room.  One is very friendly and when I pet him he rolls around in ecstasy.  The other tabby (also 7m) just hides.  Originally all cats were in the same room bc stupid me I let them out of the carriers in the main room just to say hi and they bolted and hid REALLY well.  I managed to catch them earlier and they are mewing at the bathrroom door.  I feel awful.

Now, the only reaction I've seen from all the cats is just hissing, No fights, no violence.  But I know the procedure to introduce cats should take weeks or months.   Have I ruined everything by letting the tabbys out and putting the older cats (2yr old is black, 1yr old tuxedo) in the bathroom?  They have food and litter box in there.  Should I just let everyone work it out and let them out?  What should I do with the tabbies?  Thanks for your help in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silmarien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to mention I have enough room for them all and I have the means to feed them grain free food, wet food, and for vet care.  Just wondering how to introduce them so they aren't afraid of each other and never become friends or at least tolerate each other.  I'm really worried about this and I'd be heartbroken if I had to rehome any of them.  They;re sweet cats.  Havent clawed me even when carrying them.  I try talking to them, letting them sniff me, as only one will let me pet him and likes it.  Will it ever get better?  It's day 4.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I live in a largish studio apartment and had two existing kittens (5 months and 7 weeks).  I ended up looking for a third cat and wound up with four! I know, bad move, but it's done.  Now I only have one room that closes off from the main room (the bathroom), and I have the two older cats in there (2yrs and 1yr) and I let the 7 month old orange tabbies run in the main room.  One is very friendly and when I pet him he rolls around in ecstasy.  The other tabby (also 7m) just hides.  Originally all cats were in the same room bc stupid me I let them out of the carriers in the main room just to say hi and they bolted and hid REALLY well.  I managed to catch them earlier and they are mewing at the bathrroom door.  I feel awful.

Now, the only reaction I've seen from all the cats is just hissing, No fights, no violence.  But I know the procedure to introduce cats should take weeks or months.   Have I ruined everything by letting the tabbys out and putting the older cats (2yr old is black, 1yr old tuxedo) in the bathroom?  They have food and litter box in there.  Should I just let everyone work it out and let them out?  What should I do with the tabbies?  Thanks for your help in advance!
No, just the opposite... You need to put the NEW cats in the bathroom.  The full run of the house if probably overwhelming them and what you're sending across to your previous cats is that they are favored.  It's their house and was first.  So put the new ones in the bathroom and only bring them out for short periods to interact with the current cats.  Use treats and sweet talk.  Keep it brief and then separate again.  You don't have to do it a month but about a week is the norm.  It can take cats time to get to know and accept one another.  But, during this time it is crucial that you reassure your previous that they are still loved and it is still their home.  You don't want them resenting the newcomers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silmarien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I wasn't clear.  The new cats ARE in the bathroom (I got two new cats who are 2yrs and 1yrs, and two new cats that are 7 months), and my existing cats 5months and 7weeks do have the free run of the house.  The problem is that the new 7m old cats are also given free access to the apartment bc I didn't think putting four new cats who didn't know each other (well, two on two who didn't know each other) into the same bathroom.

Is that more clear? Sorry it's a complicated situation!  :)

It's hard for me to catch the new cats to put them back in the bathroom, so I dunno if letting them out would work.  They hide under the bed and claw me and the carpet trying to get away, and it's very hard to get them where they're hiding under there.  I would move my mattress onto the floor but have not enough room or strength to lift it and put the bed frame elsewhere.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of this reaction is pretty normal.  Cats don't like change and you just have to let them get used to it in their time.  Sometimes it can take a month (rule of thumb) other times it's shorter or much longer.  To get them to bond with you and each other, it helps if you get on the floor (their level) and use treats and a high pitched voice like talking to babies and entice them.  Don't touch them without them establishing contact first.  Offer them treats and talk to them.  You can do this when trying to get them to interact with each other, too.  Don't be discouraged if the first couple of times, they run off or won't do it.  Just keep trying.  If they are playful, you can initiate a play time together, use a wand toy or other interactive toy. 

Other than that, let them set the pace and get used to it in their time.  Don't push it or you could actually have the opposite effect.  Many people find not being all in their face but talking to them just walking around and doing other things is helpful, too.  That way they don't feel cornered.  They get used to your voice and presence.