Unique Characteristics

Mandie_June

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post (I've went over sub categories 4 times), BUT I have brother cats that do this thing with their tail...
They can hang their tail parallel to their back (it's used in the same way a cat would happily greet sticking up and pointed tip). When they are really relaxed, instead of being parallel, they essentially relax their tail and it curls like a rollercoaster loop.
I've read two things so far: it could just be a genetic defect or they are a part of the "experimental breed" called Ringtail sing-a-ling.

I guess, long story short... I just wanted to know how many other cats can do it and just a more positive answer. I have included a picture (because I dont think I describe things quite right).
I dont know any of you yet, but thank you in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is not common. Prob some minor local mutation.

A more common with dogs where its typical with some breeds.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I live in west Michigan.

More common in Japan? Is there any reason for that at all?
I dont know. I guess somebody took fancy in them, and had some litters after his cats, and gave away them... Or even sold them. Perhaps even a whole willage took fancy and sold them, perhaps as part of their trade. What is rare and unusual tend to be worth some money, or at least, attach some fanciers, no?
And the gene did spread somewhat...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Japan is an island, and for a long time they didn't allow trade or travel, so there were very few cats brought in on ships. So cats in Japan started from a small genetic pool and have more inbreeding-related recessive genes like bobtails and ringtails.

Their tails are unusual! It's probably a random mutation, maybe inbreeding related. Enjoy your special kitties!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Japan is an island, and for a long time they didn't allow trade or travel, so there were very few cats brought in on ships. So cats in Japan started from a small genetic pool and have more inbreeding-related recessive genes like bobtails and ringtails.
I don't know if there has been work done on the mode of inheritance of "ringtails" in cats, but the gene responsible for the Japanese Bobtail's tail is definitely dominant, as is the similar gene in the American Bobtail, as well as the other kinked/short-tail genes found in Asian domestic cats to date. It has nothing to do with inbreeding.
Reference: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep31583

I know it's tempting to ascribe unusual traits to "inbreeding," but plenty of unusual traits in cats are dominant (such as Scottish Fold ears, American Curl ears, Manx taillessness, Japanese Bobtail / American Bobtail tails, American Wirehair coat, Selkirk Rex coat etc.).

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if there has been work done on the mode of inheritance of "ringtails" in cats, but the gene responsible for the Japanese Bobtail's tail is definitely dominant, as is the similar gene in the American Bobtail, as well as the other kinked/short-tail genes found in Asian domestic cats to date. It has nothing to do with inbreeding.

I know it's tempting to ascribe unusual traits to "inbreeding," but plenty of unusual traits in cats are dominant (such as Scottish Fold ears, American Curl ears, Manx taillessness, Japanese Bobtail / American Bobtail tails, American Wirehair coat, Selkirk Rex coat etc.).
Former neighbors of mine had two Japanese bobtail furmily members. Their tails felt like they were broken in several places, which is characteristic of the breed. They were very adorable cats and I'm afraid I probably offended their people with my incessant admiration and adoring comments.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OK, yeah, I don't know how it happened exactly. My point was just that Japan was a very insular island back when cats were first introduced so a lot of odd genes got to proliferate. I'm sure there was some selection pressure too---the odd kittens got better care, etc.