Unhealthy Kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The person I got her from said she's around 5 weeks old and apparently has been bottle fed since 2 weeks old.
I dewormed her about 3 days ago (for roundworms) but now there are visible worms in her stool, sometimes just rice-like segments. I am 99% sure they are tapeworms though, because one whole tiny dead worm came out and had that segmented looking body. She also has fleas (I'm assuming what gave her the tapeworms) and I'm not sure what is safe to use on her to kill them, but I've been bathing her with Dawn soap and using a flea comb.
I have some Bayer brand tapeworm pills, but I think she is below 2 lbs (when I held her on my scale my weight only went up 1 lb) and I'm afraid to give her anything else. It says to give 1/2 pill if the kitten is below 4 lbs. It also says not recommended for kittens under 6 wks.
Is it safe to give her half of a pill? The roundworm medicine itself made her vomit a few times hours later (even though I gave her a very small dosage) but she is fine now.
I want to wait to de-worm her but she's so skinny that I don't know if the worms are preventing her from gaining weight or not. I can feel almost every bone in her body, it seems.
I'm feeding her Royal Canin kitten food, both soft and hard. I am also mixing KMR with the soft food.

She sleeps almost constantly and doesn't seem to have a lot of energy. And her "third eyelids" are out constantly when she's awake and walking around, but her eyes look healthy to me otherwise.
I'm assuming it's due to her poor condition?
I'll attach photos of her (excuse her messy face, she ate wet food earlier)
I want to bathe her again soon because every time she uses the litter box she gets litter and poo stuck to her rear where it's a soft diarrhea type texture.
ps sorry if any images upload twice, phone is being weird
IMG_20180526_113552.jpg
IMG_20180526_113535.jpg
IMG_20180526_113659.jpg

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes tape worm come with fleas.
Yes third eyelid shows infection - often worms.

Give pedialyte bough or homemade.

Raw goats milk if you can get it.

Bayer should be ok but if you can find Milbomax - its allowed from 2+ weeks.

He is 5-6 weeks but weak so count as underage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you get the kitten to the vet?
I can and likely will. I was thinking about just taking her to the vet instead. With how skinny she is, I'm not that comfortable personally giving her any more medicine even though it may be fine to

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is decently purebred siamese (modern or old type) she will be "skinny" compared to most other kittens of similiar age.

Therefore not denying, she IS weakish and need extra care, as we understand from your description and know from her being ex fleas infested and worm infested.

Some nice vitamine paste helps too to rebuild and come into shape.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
She looks very frail and sick, and is so young. I hope you are able to get her to a vet soon so she can have a good chance of recovering her health and thriving. It is so hard for little kittens with tape worm to grow so you need to talk to a vet about how to treat. If the worms can be treated then you could see her thrive very quickly and see just how gorgeous she is. Precious little kitten. Let us know how things go.

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got home from a long day of being busy and found her limp under my bed. She's gasping now, and occasionally had a long, loud meow. She isn't that responsive either... I don't think she will make it. I was going to take her to the vet tomorrow since it's relatively cheap vet and I'm tight on money (I have a trip to Florida in a few days)
Surely it wasn't the medicine that I gave her that did this, right..? It was 3 or 4 days ago when I wormed her.. I feel horrible because I tried to give her everything, even bought more soft food today while I was out to mix with goat's milk I'd been giving her :(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you take her to an emergency vet tonight? Please, please don't let her suffer all night. Even if she needs to be put to sleep, you can give her that comfort.

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you take her to an emergency vet tonight? Please, please don't let her suffer all night. Even if she needs to be put to sleep, you can give her that comfort.
Sadly a few minutes ago she passed away :( I feel horrible knowing she might have been suffering most of the day while I was out getting supplies.. she seemed okay when I left this morning. Maybe I should have just went ahead and dewormed her for the tapeworms..? I can see her stomach moving around now.. assuming it's the tapeworms..?
She died within ten minutes of me being home :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor thing looked extremely ill in the pictures. I’m sorry you weren’t able to get her to the vet sooner for treatment.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The moving stomach are surely gases. Tapeworms add to the gases of course. May also be beginning decay - I suppose its warm now...

Poor girl. Quick and resulute vet help could perhaps save her, but we dont know. She did looked sick, and was in a bad condition. She would probably die anyway...
You did what you could. She knew it, she waited for you to come home for the last greeting. The last act of love, from her and from you.

RIP little one.

Warm hugs!

Sadly a few minutes ago she passed away :( I feel horrible knowing she might have been suffering most of the day while I was out getting supplies.. she seemed okay when I left this morning. Maybe I should have just went ahead and dewormed her for the tapeworms..? I can see her stomach moving around now.. assuming it's the tapeworms..?
She died within ten minutes of me being home :(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry she passed away V VeuveNoire When they're that sick at such a young age they rarely make it. I don't think there is anything you could have done.

We always lock the treads when a cat has passed, so I'll lock this one now.

If you would like to start a thread in her memory pleace do so in our Crossing The Bridge forum.

Rest in Peace little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.