Unhappy caged cat

keysmash

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My cat fractured his pelvis and the vet told us to keep him in a cage while it heals. Unfortunately, he really hates being cooped up. He's constantly scratching and digging. He sends litter flying everywhere, which is also messing up his medication because he'll fill his bowls with litter. He tries to pull and push open the door, or hang from the ceiling. He yowls constantly.

Letting him out for short bits doesn't help. He tries to run and jump, and no matter how long he's out he starts screaming and clawing again as soon as he's back in the cage.

Do you have any advice to make him less miserable?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might try using a large carrier rather than a cage.  There is less he can hang from, and usually it calms them more to be in that "cave" type situation.  We use them all the time for post-op cats and it does work well.  You might also try catnip, which usually sedates them after the initial thrill.  I've used that in carriers when traveling with cats.  You can always use incontinence pads in the carrier in case he needs to pee between releases, although most of them will wait to use the litter box if they are on a regular schedule.  When traveling, mine always wait the 8 hours until we get to the motel.

jules10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get some Rescue Remedy for Pets.  It you cannot get some into his mouth, rub some of it on his paws.  He can lick it off easily and it cannot hurt him.

It will calm him down after about 1 hour or so and it will last for 3-4 hours. 

It is a homeopathic remedy so if it does not help if does not help.  If cannot hurt that is for sure. 

Putting him in a larger cage is a good idea too.  Cats hate being cooped up. 

You can buy Rescue Remedy for Pets at many health food type stores.  If you cannot find it locally you can find it online but it seems like something you might need ASAP.

If these options do not help, call the vet back and tell the vet you need a sedative or something to calm him down so he can get the rest he needs which will expedite healing faster.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to clear out a room so there is nothing to jump up on and keep him there? He would be much more comfortable.  I agree with the above, he may need some kind of calming aide for a while to settle him down, he has to be kept relatively quiet and still. Have you observed him outside the cage for a while, he may just lay quietly somewhere on his own, banging around in a cage can't be good for him. All the luck!

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the calming aid.  Perhaps the vet can recommend something, too.  Poor guy, I hope he heals soon.  One of my foster babies that was adopted fell off a second story landing and broke his upper thigh.  Vet said to keep him confined but like yours, it was impossible.  She let him out and he calmly sat by her side.  He would play but when he had enough and was in pain he'd sit quietly as if he knew not to overstress himself.  I don't know your cat or if that would help but maybe just letting him lay in your lap for long periods of time would work.