unfixed 10 mo old snowshoe adoption concerns

auntarctica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We want to adopt a kitten playmate for our 10-month-old spayed female (Birman). I found a 10 mo old unfixed snowshoe male who owner says has never sprayed and is super sweet. He's been around dogs when younger but not other cats. We would fix him asap. But will he start spraying once exposed to another cat? And dogs? And once he does there's no going back? Is getting a younger kitten a better idea for our kitten? Thoughts? (And how soon could we fix him without freaking him out). Thanks
snow shoe nov 2020.jpg

Last edited:

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
honestly .. yes ... a younger kitten will be easier. It is possible that this adult male integrates well but ... some males when neutered after the onset of puberty ... will STILL be territorial and somewhat aggressive with other cats especially males. Cats that have not lived with other cats might also lack the social skills to integrate quickly but this 10 months old is still a kitten. You would be looking at separation until he is fixed ( plus another week or two) and then a very slow introduction. Cats are individuals and some will like each other right from the beginning and some will never get along even IF you do a very good introduction. I never had issues with pre-puberty foster kittens integrating into my existing group ( also with careful introduction of course) - adult cats and even teens know instinctively that kittens are babies and cut them a LOT more slack than another adult/teen it seems. Often a lonely kittens wants to bond to another cat and two kitten almost always start playing very quickly ... It is helpful to have kittens neutered early and before the onset of puberty ( I try to get mine fixed before 12 weeks ) which makes for very harmonious living conditions. I just recently introduced two baby males to my three cats and there was a marked difference before and after neutering ( at exactly 12 weeks in this. case) in the social dynamics. After neutering everyone seemed so much more relaxed ... and sweet- both towards each other and towards us ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntarctica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
honestly .. yes ... a younger kitten will be easier. It is possible that this adult male integrates well but ... some males when neutered after the onset of puberty ... will STILL be territorial and somewhat aggressive with other cats especially males. Cats that have not lived with other cats might also lack the social skills to integrate quickly but this 10 months old is still a kitten. You would be looking at separation until he is fixed ( plus another week or two) and then a very slow introduction. Cats are individuals and some will like each other right from the beginning and some will never get along even IF you do a very good introduction. I never had issues with pre-puberty foster kittens integrating into my existing group ( also with careful introduction of course) - adult cats and even teens know instinctively that kittens are babies and cut them a LOT more slack than another adult/teen it seems. Often a lonely kittens wants to bond to another cat and two kitten almost always start playing very quickly ... It is helpful to have kittens neutered early and before the onset of puberty ( I try to get mine fixed before 12 weeks ) which makes for very harmonious living conditions. I just recently introduced two baby males to my three cats and there was a marked difference before and after neutering ( at exactly 12 weeks in this. case) in the social dynamics. After neutering everyone seemed so much more relaxed ... and sweet- both towards each other and towards us ...

Thank you so much for this thoughtfull and informative reply. I really really appreciate it. I feel sad for this teenager snowshoe, she said she didn't fix him because she didn't want to "take away anything from him." Whatever that means. And that he is running through the house bouncing off the walls and they have no time for him. He sounds so lonely and stir crazy. My other cat is a super sweet, gentle Birman mix. She is small and not aggressive. I would hate to unload a terror on her, she is only 10 months too. She had never been around dogs and we took about 3 months of very slow intro, with the dogs getting limited interaction with her. We are just now letting them in the living room together (they are larger but gentle). I feel like saving this poor cat and just at least getting him fixed. She wants $400 for him, which is a lot. Not sure what I should do.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age he shouldn't be very tomcattish yet. If you had him neutered immediately he should be fine. Yes, sometimes young males are obnoxious (even if fixed) toward females, but other times the females are bossier, so mostly it depends what kind of personality your female has. Since she's pretty young, too, I think they should get along, unless she's especially timid.

As for the price, is he a registered purebred? I kind of doubt it, partially because purebred Snowshoes are extremely rare, and partially because a proper breeder would have neutered him first, or else charged extra for breeding rights, and also would have had a return clause in the contract. So they might be trying to scam you. If you can't talk them down to a reasonable price (this depends what vet care he's had and what supplies he comes with) it's probably best to pass, unfortunately. You could give them the number to a cat rescue, because not many people are willing to pay that much.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this might be just my 5 cents but I would pass ... $400 is ... not an adoption fee but a sales price especially for a cat that isn't fixed. Most " Snowshoes" are actually just color point shorthairs or siamese mixes around where I live. And you are right... a gentle natured kitten might not benefit from a crazy active cat - also keep in mind that owners are very " euphemistic "when they describe their cats ... " active " is often a code word formal kinds of behavioral issues- which would be ok and definitely workable IF you have a large enough space and can separate permanently if needed ... in general you would try to match your cat with another cat or kitten with a similar temperament OR a kitten who is younger and smaller and not intimidating... My Siamese and Ragdolls are similar to Birmans - laid back and careful and gentle even as kittens .. we had one foster baby here who was ... kind of crazy with no personal boundaries and it wasn't a good match ... nobody was happy and it was stressful ...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IF he's had all his kitten shots/testing/de-worming, etc., and comes with his toys, litterbox, cat tree, food bowls, etc., then maybe $400 would be reasonable, depending on the usual vet prices in the area. It really depends.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Snowshoes are extremely rare and they aren't long hair, which his tail looks like he is long hair or will be seasonally. If he doesn't have paperwork to prove he is purebred the $400 price is someone trying to make money with false claims. I'd agree to the price only if he had shot records, full vet records, was neutered, given regular flea treatment and worming that they could prove and came with some supplies to help with adjustment to the new home (toys, bed, cat tree, food dish, food, etc).

These are my two cats, who are dead ringers for snowshoes but aren't actually. One was very literally dumped on my front door and the other was a small rehoming fee that they waived when I proved I would care for him properly.

20201018_082329.jpg
20200809_113209.jpg

You can find really amazing looking cats in rescues that are dead ringers for purebreds and know that they were spayed/neutered and up to date on shots. The combination of colorpoint with white is really a lot more common then you'd believe, they just get snatched up fairly quick. Although, looks aren't everything. My girl is a royal brat who picks on the boys while my moms black cat is the sweetest thing.

To your original question, I'd get him neutered the second he got home or ask the seller to neuter him at her expense without raising his cost before he comes home. That's the only way to really reduce the chances of him starting to spray.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not all males spray if neutered after puberty. In my early twenties I had a male that came to us at 7 months and didn't get neutered until 8.5 months. He never sprayed before or after but was more chill after being neutered.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently had a 15-month-old neutered (plain ol' procrastination :rolleyes2:) and he had just started to spray, and stopped as soon as he was neutered. Of course some males mature earlier but I really don't think most 10-month-olds are hardcore sprayers.