Unexplained Aggression?

rhear00f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I've posted something about this problem before but we've now had our cat for about 7 months and I just wondered if anyone had any ideas based on further info I can now provide. Fingers crossed!!

On the whole he is pretty aggressive - hiding in corners and jumping out, chasing you down the corridor, biting when touched, turning on you unexpectedly when he's in close proximity. However most sources I find seems to compare aggression to anxiety, petting or redirected and I can't understand how his behaviour would be any of these.

Petting for example, we avoid touching him, give him a wideberth, avoid accidentally cornering him and forcing him close to us.

In fact his most aggressive attacks come when he sits next to you and seemily out of nowhere turns even if you have made no attempt to touch him or have even shuffled further away!

He's certianly skittish - he's ALWAYS alert, ears moving, eyes open, nose smelling - and loud noises can send him flying but we've also made every attempt to provide him with quiet dark places to go which he actively seems to ignore. He won't climb in boxes or go behind the sofa or up in high places. We try and not make loud expected noises or movements but for the life of me, I can't make him relax properly! However, he also seems happy enough to follow you around and does not seem to shy away in anyway. He doesn't appear to fear us. I always felt that given his inability to fully relax, this might be the best explanation but following all common advice seems pointless as he actively rejects any environment that might be calming! We tried feliway for a bit that that had no effect.

His behaviour is fairly consistent and doesn't seem to be in repsonse to outside noises, smells etc

We're trying Prozac and he's been on it for about 2 weeks now but no signs of any improvement. He actually got a lot worse when we initially had to pill him. For a few days he got VERY defensive. We're now trying the solution alternative. (Also maybe suggesting it's anxiety if his behaviour got worse as a result of being cornered each night?)

We try and play with him - throwing things, giving him things to chase - no hands but he gets bored pretty quickly.

I'm at a loss because I can't categorise his behaviour to start to tackle it and it feels like going home a war zone at the moment. Friends and family are increasingly saying he has to go back to the shelter as he's causing us too much stress :(

For context, he's a rescue, house cat about 5 years old, ginger tabby.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This may be a bandaid for a huge problem, but who knows... have you tried Feliway cat pheromones?
Also, are there any children or other pets in the house?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rhear00f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. We tried the feliway difffuser for a while but it didn't seem to make any difference. No other animals and no children.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are there other pets around in your household? Does he have his own little space that he can call his own? Was he owner surrendered or a stray? If what you say is true (about his behavior not being caused by surrounding) then you probably have a traumatized cat who redirects his aggression to humans.

rhear00f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We tried to establish a few areas of the house that were his when we got him - put a bed and food down etc somewhere quiet and dark and where we wouldn't disturb him but he just ignored it. He just moves himself around. He has a little area under the stairs that he's started to sit in that we don't often disturb but that's only been in the last week or so - and unfortunately he often just uses it as a place to pounce from. Hence why I say, if it is his environment, he's not taking the opportunities we give him to move into somewhere he might feel safer, despite our attempts to make that available.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he often just uses it as a place to pounce from
So when he pounces... is he angry? Scared? Or is he bored? Have you tried getting some of his aggression out by playing with him (with toys, not body parts)? Maybe if you get him to turn his aggression to toys instead of people, he can calm down. (just a thought)

rhear00f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think he's scared or angry...so maybe bored but he isn't better behaved after we're made a considerable attempt to play with him - laser pens, strings, little toy mice, undercover moving toys, speed circuits, dancers, interactive/puzzle feeders. The pouncing is annoying and excessive but I see it as understandable cat behaviour. In these instances, he is fairly easy to distract worse come to worse by throwing a treat. (Just hard to be perpetually prepared for that!) The worst is the aggression he exhibits out of the blue. So when he's just sitting near your leg or next to you you on the sofa. These are when he really draws blood. I don't trust him to be near me even when he's sleeping because he just snaps.

Also I'd like to add that his behaviour is consistently bad. He isn't lovely sometimes and horrible others or good with some people and bad with others. Every human interaction involves him at least considering acting out.

rhear00f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've just filmed one of the attacks when he bites out of nowhere in case it gives anyone watching this an idea or seems familiar to anyone! The TV is on in this instance but it can happen if you're sitting there reading in silence etc.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks like it's how he knows to get attention. If you see a warning sign of an impending attack (him scoping out what body part is close by), can you talk gently to him to distract him? Is he able to be distracted by anything other than food?
And so after the video ended, does he just bite and walk away, or does he keep biting while you try to shoo him?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
In the video, this looks to me like a bored cat who is trying to initiate play more than attack. Have you tried removing him from the sofa? If that is a spot that frequently triggers him biting you, I wouldn't allow him to come up. Or when you see him start turning or looking at you you can speak loudly, with a sharp "no" and push him down before he can bite.

rhear00f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't say the sofa was particularly a site that triggers this. He can do it if he's just sitting next to you if you're standing etc. It's just anywhere he can access legs or arms. It's not always preceded by warning signs. Sometimes he's just sitting there and then he just turns his head and bites - not like in this video when he seems to be looking around bored. I won't sit or stand near him in any state - no matter how relaxed he seems - because you literally cannot take your eyes on him. This would be less of a problem if he didn't follow you around the house! If it is boredom, I don't know how to tackle if because extensive and varied play sessions has not effected his behaviour at all.

Before it used to be one bite and then he'd back off. But increasingly he's been unwilling to stop trying until you literally push him away and remove yourself.

Just at our wits end. I spend most of my time trying to find ways to avoid him and I'm just happier when I know he's away in another room. Which is horrible cuz I'd rather be anywhere than with him! Plus 7 months in, it's been impossible for form any bond with him at all.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your description I think he is a extremely sensitive cat. 7 months is not truly a long time in a cat's world, and for someone with his nature, not near long enough to be completely comfortable. Continue the Prozac, it takes at least a month for the med to start working, just like in humans. Don't pill him though, if it is large, break it up and paste small pieces to a small amount of bacon with a tiny bit of Pill pocket for Cats. Or mash it into a piece of deli chicken breast, or a dab of tuna. My cats get their meds and don't even know it. You might ask your vet about the calming meds taht are in treats on Amazon, I give a small dose (not the full dose on package) to my cats for vet visits and they work well. But since he is on Prozac you want to check with your vet first with the ingredients on the label.
He is super scared and on high alert, that is why the sudden attacks, everything is scaring him right now. He has had a hard life, and seems to not know limits on playing/biting too hard, so was most likely separated from his mother and siblings too young. When he bites, say NO loudly and distance yourself, even hiss like a mother would do to teach him manners. Get a kickeroo kick toy and see if he will take some of his aggressions out on that, I often throw one to my cats when they get too aggressive, it is a good distraction. It would be good to use if saying no scares him too much and makes it worse, until he does calm down.
I really think he just needs a LOT of time, over a year to calm down. I'm so sorry you have to go through all this, but things really worth having are the things we work the hardest for. Time is your friend, I will pray for everything to turn out. You are an angel on earth to give him this chance, and in time he will repay you with his love. All the luck!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm having similar issues with my cat, but a little ahead of you. I've had him for nine months and he's been on prozac for six weeks. Stick with it, I believe it is helping. Luciano's dose is half a pill once a day, so I halve the tiny brown pill with my fingernails and crush it into powder & add it to his wet food. When Luciano bites, he chomps down and if I'm able to thwart his initial attempt, he was persist until he get flesh. Just getting clothing isn't enough. Luciano's ears are always moving when he's awake as well, and he's often sniffing the air. However he also has moments when he's sweet and purrs a lot, and loves to play.

rhear00f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies. With everyone else being negative, and personally feeling so low about it, it's just nice to hear something supportive! We've just placed an order for the prozac in cream form because I think it's the only way we'll be able to consistently administer it. Hopefully it'll start to help.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. My boyfriend is more pessimistic about Luciano's ability to change. Maybe I'm too optimistic and he's too pessimistic, so the truth is somewhere in the middle. I got bitten this morning out of nowhere on my arm this morning when I tried keeping him off my leg.