unexpected tears today!

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today marks 5 months and a week without Minnie. We still have her littermate/ sister Mikki.
I posted elsewhere that a rescue site posted 2 lil kittens up for adoption...Mickey and Minni! So of course I was drawn to them, especially since they both looked like my Minnie and shared our kitties' names.

Someone adopted Mickey so Minni went through a rough time without her playmate. Today Minni was at a Pet Shop event ...so I decided to take a drive (40 miles) that way to go to a flea market and stop in to give Minni a Valentine hug and meet her in person. Of course I packed a carrier "just in case".

So hubby and I get out of the car and I see the cages lined up outside and of course spot Minni from a distance and immediately start tearing up! I ask if I can hold her and I really think I was having a moment of relfecting on "my Minnie that we lost" while I was holding this other Minni...since they looked so much alike and both have siblings named Mickey (well, mine is Mikki as she's a girl :) I just had to meet her and hug her.

I couldn't do it though...couldn't take her. It didn't feel "right". I felt so bad because she wanted back in her cage as she was timid... but I know she would end up being a cuddler and trusting me, but they said she had a real hard time when her Mickey was adopted out. They put another kitty in the cage with her and she has adapted well with it. I just don't know how well MY MIKKI would adapt...

I messaged the lady that adopted Mickey as I saw her make a post on the rescue's site on facebook saying how welll Mickey has adapted to her home...so I shared with her how having 2 kitties is a REAL joy, especiaally when they are littermates and wondered if she'd consider taking Minni to be with Mickey. We'll see if she answers the post :)

Here's the Minni that is up for adoption:

and here is my Minnie:

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both very beautiful kitties.  I know at the shelter when there is one left from a litter they are very lonely.  We try to find a kitten to put with them but kittens go so fast they are never alone long.  I wish people would adopt older cats & not want the tiny kittens.  I tell them that kittens quickly became cats & with an older one you know who you are getting.  If you did not feel right about adopting it's best to wait a while & see how you feel later.  There are so many kitties for adoption you can wait until you find the right one.  It would be nice if the lady came back for Minne!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes, that would be sooooo awesome, esp since she said Mickey is doing so well in her home.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll 'know' when the time is right, your heart is still shattered in a million pieces right now and will take a while to heal. I know that my heart always aches when I see those hopeful faces in those cages at the shelter, each and every one of them deserves to be loved and spoiled. My greatest prayer is that someday we will not have the need for shelters at all, that everyone will do the responsible thing and get their pets neutered and spayed, that there will never be another starving, fearful kitten brought into this world that is not wanted or loved. This world has done much in the last 25 years or so, but so much more needs to be done. 

MnM, your sweet Minnie taught you what love can be, you will honor her by sharing that love and passing on her legacy to you. She will never be forgotten, her memory and the love and happiness she brought you will be forever kept in your heart as long as you are alive. One day your memories will comfort you instead of bringing you such sadness, as she would want it to be. One day you will be ready to share her legacy of love with a new love in her name, you'll know when that time comes, your heart will tell you. Take care, and keep us posted on Minne!

• Purraise
Reactions: mnm

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They do look so much alike!  I agree with Di and Bob...you'll know when the time is right.  My friend at work was devastated when his cat died unexpectedly (I would say "naturally" devastated, but I know everyone in the world isn't like him, or my husband, or the caring folks on TCS).  I honestly didn't think he would ever adopt another kitten.  He kept getting offers from people who knew he would give a cat or kitten a good home, but he just wasn't ready.  Now, I am happy to say, he has a kitten and tells me about her antics every time we talk.  He couldn't be happier.  

Someday, I think the same will happen for you.  You have so much love to give...when the time is right.  

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
MnM, I know exactly how you feel. It is so hard to think of getting another kitty after we lost our precious special one. It has now just a little over 7 months since I lost my Mickey. Believe me, not a day goes by that I don't think of him and still miss him with all my heart. I never thought I could get another kitty, as my Mickey was so special to me, just as your Minnie was to you. I was so lonely though without a kitty to love as Mickey was an only cat. I did end up adopting another kitty named Shadow. In fact, I have two now as Shadow seemed to favor my husband more. My second kitty is Mittens. They are both beautiful and wonderful kitties who needed a home and someone to love them. I needed a kitty who I could love and spoil. I do love both of my new kitties dearly and they make me feel needed. They are a help with dealing with Mickey's loss. They can never replace Mickey. I wouldn't expect them too. Mickey was just too special. Also, they don't look like Mickey. They are both big fluffy cats while Mickey was small and dainty looking. All beautiful in their own way.
It may hurt you getting another kitty that looks too much like your Minnie. Than again, it may bring you more peace. The only one that can decide what is right for you is you. You do have a huge heart though and a love for kitties. Like many others have said, you will know when the time is right and what kitty is right for you and also for Mikki.
For now, just enjoy your Mikki and love her and cherish the beautiful memories of your Minnie!!
Take-Care!!

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm so sorry your heart is still broken. The very day I buried my Tootsie, my sister brought me into a shelter to convince me to convince me into adopting Her dopplegänger. This cats life was saved but I never bonded. Eventually my sister took her when I was sick. So not only did I never get to grieve properly my Tootsie, I had to grieve my inability to bond, and finally grieve when I could no longer take care of her.

So please--wait until you are ready. You WILL know when that time comes. ((Hugs))

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been five months since I lost my Ra, too.  I had a little cry last night missing my boy.   Unlike you, I couldn't resist adopting another kitten a month after I said goodbye to Ra.  The new kitten's been a joy, but it's also been stressful because I am still grieving Ra, and my older kitty Pi just hates the kitten.  He's very aggressive with her. Add to that the shelter did not disclose his very serious medical issues.  After dealing with such a sick kitty for so long in Ra, it's been a challenge finding out that the healthy kitten I thought I was getting, wasn't so healthy.  More big vet bills with surgery in the offing, and I'm still smarting from the $7000+ I spent trying to save Ra. I'm tapped out. And Pi is almost 15 and has developed serious health issues, too. The constant squabbling of the cats is stressful.  It was a lot to take on so soon, for me and for PI, I think.  I don't regret adopting the kitten, though.  I love him so much.  Like I said, he's filled my heart with joy, too. But in retrospect, I wish I hadn't rushed the adoption.  It is a lot to deal with when I'm still grieving and have health issues myself now, too.  Ugh.  So, I'm glad you listened to your gut, even if you feel torn over it.  Hopefully the woman you contacted will bring home Minni, too.  Because it can be difficult introducing cats that aren't littermates.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you for all posting. I took something from each of you!!
yoohooRA, those thoughts have been really been in my mind too....what if Mikki doesn't adjust well to another...then I'd feel really bad for her! I know I'm "stable" as far as dealing with Min being gone... as in I could totally love another kitty, but Mikki is foremost on my mind and I think the stress you talk about is what I'm afraid may happen. One good thing is Minni is in a foster home that loves her... so that helped me a lot when I saw her and the foster mommy was there so I got to talk to her.