uneasy bedfellows

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure this topic has been discussed to death, but I need some help.We have a 7-year old cat (Abbey) and a new 1-year old cat (Casey) who has been with us for 2 weeks. Our previous cat (Matthew) had to be put to sleep in January at the age of 16 1/2, and he and Abbey were best friends. We know she's grieved for him and misses him (so do we!) and it'll take time for her to accept Casey. He's a playful, happy little thing and would love to play with her but she's just not having it right now. They do sniff each other and he plays while she watches him with a wary eye. They've chased each other around the house a few times, eat near each other but not too close and we put Casey to bed in the spare room so he calms down and doesn't bother her all night. When he gets to be too much she'll hiss at him and has taken a few swipes at him, but then walks away, so we're relieved at that! Casey doesn't seem at all bothered by her and goes on his merry little way being a hyperactive little cat. An interesting side note - Abbey had a mean cat from up the street corner cornered in the backyard last night and ran him off. She then came in the house and went straight to Casey to sniff him almost as if she was checking to make sure he was okay. We've been giving Abbey a lot of extra attention and reassurance and I'm hoping she'll accept him more as time goes on, but does anyone have any advice on what more we can do to ease the process for her? Many thanks for any ideas or advice anyone has - we'll appreciate it!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site! 

Actually , it is impressive how well both cats have accepted each other in only 2 weeks. They are not close but they are getting along quite well. Give it time and I am sure Abbey will be playing with Casey but perhaps not as often or as long as Casey wants. 
 She's already telling him who is boss and teaching him proper behavior. 

Just continue giving Abbey the extra attention and play with Casey to use up that extra energy cats at his age seem to never run out. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peapie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your comments - it just helps to have a bit of reassurance that we're doing okay! Our other cat Matthew was just so unique in that he was the most chilled out cat that ever lived, and he took to Abbey as soon as she walked in the door. We've never really had to introduce a new one like this, so we appreciate your comments a great deal - thanks!