Underweight?

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today Luna is 17 days old. I am not 100% sure on date of birth as she is a stray. But I am guessing she was about 4 -5 days old when I got her. I finally also got the weighing scale today. As of today she is weighing 126g / 4.4 oz. For her age she seems to be on the small side but I can see the change in her since I got her. She is eating between 45-48oz per day.

Should I be concerned on how little she is for her age?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is much underweigh (if you scale shows right, its easy to make mistakes).
But if she is noticeably improving, it should be all right.

Also, she perhaps comes for a maternity line with low weigh birth ones??

45-48 ml a day is equivalent to about the weigh of 180 ml, so she is hungry and wanna eat.

As you now have a scale, you can see how much she gains. She shall add minimum 6g a day, but 10 is better. Even some prematures do add 10+ if they are otherwise healthy...
With healthy, normal delivery weigh kittens, 25-30 grammes a day isnt unheard of... But your little Lund wont be there.

Can you get raw goats milk? It has some advantage sometimes, as it comes from an alive momma.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I thought too that she was very tiny, but the stray cats here are on the smaller side, I am hoping that is the case here too.

She is eating really well, I am giving her raw goat milk (goat milk:water:yogurt:egg yolk). She has anywhere between 5ml to 7ml each time. Should I switch to plain raw goat milk?

I am also putting a few drops of olive oil in her feed.

I will measure her regularly and keep posting here. Thank you for your response.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see you are using an emergency recipe "what to do if you have an orphan but no kitten mother mik replacement?. This recipe works OK, and if you have goats milk as base its even good.

The funny point is, just goats milk works fine, especielly if its raw goats milk... :)
So yes, do switch if you can.

Olive oil is good addition, good nourishment. But olive oil (alike most other oils) is used too against constipation. So unless she has problems with constipation, dont overdo this olive oil. One or two drops per meal is enough.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see you are using an emergency recipe "what to do if you have an orphan but no kitten mother mik replacement?. This recipe works OK, and if you have goats milk as base its even good.

The funny point is, just goats milk works fine, especielly if its raw goats milk... :)
So yes, do switch if you can.

Olive oil is good addition, good nourishment. But olive oil (alike most other oils) is used too against constipation. So unless she has problems with constipation, dont overdo this olive oil. One or two drops per meal is enough.

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I can switch her to plain raw goat milk.

She had constipation a week back so was giving olive oil for that and then from constipation she went straight into diarrhea, but managed to get meds from the vet right away so did not have more than a motion or two. Now just giving her two drops of olive oil as a precaution for constipation.

Will post here again after I weigh her to see how she is doing.

Thanks,

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on weight gain for Lune, so two days back she weighed 126g, the next day she was 134g and this morning she weighed at 151g...

She is eating really well and seems to be hungry every 2-3 hour.

Concern only on her poop , she has not pooped in 2 days. She cries when I do stimulate her and had just a little bit of runny yellow poop, I am guessing that could be because of change in her diet, from emergency formula to straight raw goat milk. She is peeing a lot though.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You ca add 2-3 drops of coldpressed ffood oil to every meal. Be it olive canola or cocoanut oil.

New mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question on the amount of pee. Luna seems to be peeing a lot.she is drinking a lot of milk for her size, could that be the reason?
At this point she is 155 g, she is 20 days old and drinks between 45 - 48 ml each day.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She eats roughly normally for her size, in the upper segment but not much above.. Better to pee a little too much than too little. And good she eats a little extra, it gives her better scope to grow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is eating the appropriate amount. The pee is normal! No worries! :)